It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:57 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I recently finished playing the X-Com remake, and it got me thinking, this engine could make a brilliant version of the original UFO/X-com Sequil "Terror from the Deep"

So, are there any other remakes you would like to see, or indeed any original game concepts you would like to see made?

an example from myself.

The X-Com: Terror From the Deep remake.

Using the main engine from the first (Much like the original did) but with the added challenge of having to deal with surface and undersea attacks. I would change the original's insistance of keeping the same weapons in both environments though. While things like Titan/Archangel armour & plasma weapons can be explained by the lack of Elerium to power them, and Psi abilities due to the aquatic alien's different control system (Molecular control in the original TFTD) you shoudl at least have access to unpowered armour (Carpace or skeleton) and laser weapons on the surface. The idea would be at the start surface incursions are the easy bits, the alien's are in an un-natural environment and their only advantage will be the sonic weaponary. In contrast when you assault a downed enemy sub your troops will initially have lesser armour and slower movement (Possibly worse visibility) and less effective harpoon weapons. As the game progressed the Aliens adapt better surface units while your troops will develop better underwater armour & weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
Has to be the original Star Wars X-Wing game. That on a next gen game engine with the same level of depth as the original would be awesome.

:xwing:

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:55 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I'd add Tie fighter to that list. Had a great story.

Whatever happened to space flight games, X-Wing, wing commander etc? Seemed to go out of fashion mid 2000s.

If they didn't want to straight re-make X-Wing a Star Wars Fighter Pilot style game. Fly anything from the Star Wars universe (Ideally also use the Expanded Universe, I'd love to see what they would do to simulate a Coralskipper)

Hells, you could even go online and do massive Empire Vs Rebels dogfights where every pilot is a person.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 pm 

I'll second the request for a Tie Fighter Remake, and third the X-Wing request. I'd be happy if they released Rogue Squadron 1 - 3, not the on foot missions though, with some online components. Imagine three X-Wings or Y-Wings going up against twelve tie fighters in the attack on the Death Star mission? And on the list of Star Wars games, how about Episode 1 Racer HD Online? I'd love that. I know the futuristic racer genre is generally regarded as F-Zero vs Wipeout, but Ep 1 Racer was as good as either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:11 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

PieMan70 wrote:
I'd add Tie fighter to that list. Had a great story.

Whatever happened to space flight games, X-Wing, wing commander etc? Seemed to go out of fashion mid 2000s.

If they didn't want to straight re-make X-Wing a Star Wars Fighter Pilot style game. Fly anything from the Star Wars universe (Ideally also use the Expanded Universe, I'd love to see what they would do to simulate a Coralskipper)

Hells, you could even go online and do massive Empire Vs Rebels dogfights where every pilot is a person.

Been there and done that. You'll have to check out some gameplay vids from First Strike's space maps, was the Star Wars mod I worked on for Battlefield 2142, but unfortunately since EA sacked off support for their older games we don't have on-line multiplayer support any more so it is pretty much dead in the water now (though to be fair it had become pretty dead even before that event put the last nail in the coffin, the mod had been around since 2007 though, so it certainly had a good run), but you can still play it off-line with bot support for some of the maps. But everything you're asking for there we did, and space wasn't even the main focus of the game, it is an FPS, but also featured space maps and combined arms maps (classic Battlefield style maps featuring infantry, armour and air or in this case spacecraft support). Our space maps included Escape from Hoth where you pilot fighters and Rebel Transports and have to get past a Star Destroyer and her support ships which are blockading the planet, or you play as the Imperials attempting to foil the escape. Battle of Yavin speaks for itself and pretty accurately recreates that classic battle. Battle of Taloraan took it up a notch and added mid sized capital ships to the mix as well as starfighters, so Nebulon-B Frigates, Corellian Corvettes and Gallofree Transports for the Rebels, and Carracks, Lancers and Bulk Freighters for the Imps resulting in epic space battles. Then we added a few more space maps more directly inspired by the old X-Wing games. Imperial Convoy Raid replicated those classic hit and fade missions from that game with the Rebel goal being to jump out of hyperspace and assault an Imperial Freighter convoy. They then find it is defended by some of the most mighty of Imperial starfighters, the TIE Defender, which ups the ante considerably. Finally we have a pair of linked space maps revolving around a space station, Strike at Parmel and Parmel Invasion. The first map had the Imperials defending the station against a Rebel assault, purely fighter vs. fighter dogfighting that really brings to mind the glory days of X-Wing. The second map takes things further by having the Rebels capture the station and now be facing an Imperial counterattack. Only now instead of being a pure space map, now you can man and defend the station, so the map has two tiers, the space battle outside the station as the Rebels attempt to prevent landing craft from reaching the station and deploying their troops, and the corridor to corridor fighting within the station itself should the Empire successfully land. Once again epic, unfortunately this map didn't come out until right at the end so we didn't see it really get a chance to shine. Then add to that all the ground maps where you could do crazy stuff like land a Sentinel Shuttle on the roof of an abandoned Sandcrawler being defended by Rebels, all with a maximum of 64 players on the field, heh, those were the days. I'll grab some vids and post them when I get the chance. If Star Wars: Battlefront 3 does everything we did and more with a bit of next gen polish I'll be more than happy.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:31 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Here you go, here are a few gameplay vids, have led with space as that is what you're interested in, and followed with a few examples with a mix of other forms of gameplay such as on the more ground based maps.

SPACE:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike/ ... o#imagebox

LAND:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike/ ... r#imagebox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:40 pm 

PSN ID: veela_magnet
PieMan70 wrote:
I might have mentioned this before, but if you can track 'em down, get a hold of the Colony Wars series of games for the PS1.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Yeah, they were cool, had a lot of fun with those. If you like that try Starlancer (for PC, though was on Dreamcast too), was what those guys did next. Was awesome with a decent joystick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Those who know me, will know I bang on about Chaos Engine on the Amiga at every given opportunity....so I'm going to say....CHAOS ENGINE!

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I always wanted a game like elite, but instead of just blowing up other ships, you could dock with them, and enter them on foot for some doom style shoot em ups.

Giving you the option to take over that ship once you eliminated the crew.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

glunark wrote:
I always wanted a game like elite, but instead of just blowing up other ships, you could dock with them, and enter them on foot for some doom style shoot em ups.

Giving you the option to take over that ship once you eliminated the crew.

Or Sid Meyer's Pirates - In Space, crew could surrender and you could go in with a squad.

Oh, and Chaos engine, Yes. What would you rpreference be, action RPG like Mass Effect or something massive like Skyrim?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:27 pm 

The 7th Guest would be great if remade to-day, an atmospheric puzzle / roleplaying game. Made when using badly pixelated video clips was the height of technology. Unfortunately it was one I never finished as it was quite hard to solve the puzzles.
Outlaws, an FPS set in a Western setting, notable for having John de Lancie voice one of the characters.
I used to adore playing MegaRace, a futuristic racing game. Primarily because of the cheesy/sarcastic game show host Lance Boyle, that moved the plot along and introduced the tracks you'd be playing on.
I think Beneath a Steel Sky would benefit from a makeover similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I picked up 7th guest a while ago in a humble bundle. Must get round to playing it. They did a re-make of Myst about 20 years ago (Called Real Myst) and it worked quite well. Although they kept the Video bits rather than re-animating with CG which does lead to an odd looking bit near the end.

Outlaws was great, had one of the first decent re-loading mechanics in games that I played, in that it took time to re-load.

Also Mega Race, Damn Been ages since I heard of that one. Did it pre-date wipeout? It might have done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:31 pm 

PieMan70 wrote:

Also Mega Race, Damn Been ages since I heard of that one. Did it pre-date wipeout? It might have done.

MegaRace came out around 1995, so roughly the same time as Wipeout.

I'm sure there's a few more that I've played that would benefit from a modern day makeover but the problem is I can't remember half of them!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

I dabble with Elite Dangerous, and space sims seem to be back in vogue, but would love a game in the vein of the original Elite, but set in the Star Wars universe. I'd love to play as Lando in his pre Bespin days. I could see it working as a space trading sim, but with on foot levels were you can be more involved, GTA style, kicking back playing Sabaac or chasing down leads on those pirates that stole your cargo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:14 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

That could actually be a really good take on the Star Wars space sim. Possibly start off with a small craft as well, with the option to expand to bigger, more recognisable ships like the Corellian YT1300 or even a freight version of the corvette/blockade runner. It could even work with a reputation system like Elite. Want to do black bag operations for the empire, no questions asked. It might let you operate with impunity but at the cost of less trust elsewhere. Work for the rebels and you get that warm fuzzy feeling plus some choice runs, but the empire will be after you, work for the Hutts and the money is good and work is plentiful, but best not drop your cargo as they take badly to that. Or play all sides as best you can.

The investigation side would be good fun too. someone steals your cargo, you have to find leads on nearby planets, buy info, potentially with bounty hunters looking to take you or the cargo back to their boss.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]