It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 30 posts ]
 Post subject: What's your WIP?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere in the Twighlight zone, no, not the sparkly vampire one o_O
I'm near the end of crocheting a minion hat - only 4 more & 2 tablet covers to go!

Post subject: Re: What's your WIP?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:40 pm 
Demi-goddess

I'm nearing the end of a ripple wave drop stitch scarf for my m-i-l's Christmas present. It's in Drops cotton viscose, which is the most gorgeous silky and shiny yarn. I'm making one for my mum too, as well as an Indian Vine stitch scarf for my f-i-l and a raisin waffle scarf for his partner. Then just a couple of Celtic beanies for my dad and brother and that's my Christmas knitting done. *phew*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:23 pm 

Drafted a pattern for a 18th C caraco jacket. I'm attending one of the final shows of Vampires Rock and want to be suitably attired for the event.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:19 pm 

That sounds amazing, would love to see it when it's done.

I'm now on minion hat #6 & have more orders after I posted pics of the last one on FB...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:14 pm 
Demi-goddess

Jaelle wrote:
That sounds amazing, would love to see it when it's done.

Seconded. It sounds wonderful, Fonque!

I've finished the drop stitch scarf, although it still needs to be blocked to bring out the waves. This is how it looks so far:

I'm really delighted with it. I was terrified of the stitch, but it's actually pretty simple; you have to be careful when dropping and then knitting into the dropped stitches, but the entire thing is basically garter stitch.

I've started the scarf for Mr M's dad, in a light brown bamboo/cotton blend. It is SO soft. It glides through your fingers like a dream. Definitely want to use this yarn again. The Indian Pillar (not vine) stitch is quite fiddly (you have to p3tog, k3tog then p3tog the same stitches to create the wee doughnut shapes), but it gives such a lush effect:

After a couple of months of knitting kids' hats in acrylic, it's lovely to knit arty stitches in gorgeous yarn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:58 pm 

I do appreciate people who have the ability and patience to knit. I've tried it a few times but unless you want a string vest I'm not the best person to ask.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm 
Demi-goddess

That used to be me. My mum's a knitter, but I could never get on with it. I never got beyond a bit of garter stitch and then getting bored. Then this February I decided I wanted a snood and just started again on a whim. This time I got the bug, and I can't stop. I love it beyond reason. I'm not sure what was different this time, but I'm a knitter now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:12 pm 

Those are so pretty JJ :bigsmile:

I kind of get what you mean, once I'd figured out the crochet thing last year, it felt like I'd done it before, even though I'm sure I haven't.

Anyway - minion hats, in order of making, clockwise from top left.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:35 pm 
Demi-goddess

I love your minion hats so much - they have such personality! I have visions of a terrifying troupe of minion headed children in the Greater Manchester area <3

BTW, where did you get your dummy head from? I've considered getting one for blocking hats.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:45 pm 

Awww, thank you - they are from a Rav pattern, but am now at a point where I don't need to refer to it except for measurements. Actually, only 3 are local currently , 2 have gone to South Africa, then current in Gtr Mcr, 2 for London, 1 for Scotland with tablet covers, then I think I have another local & the Selby.

The head is a polystyrene one from Amazon and lives in a box in my wardrobe mwahahahahaha http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:52 pm 

I have slowly and steadily since last year been working on a replica costume. I love playing Assassin's Creed and for some reason thought it would be a great idea to make the outfit that a character called Sofia Sartor wears in AC:Revelations.

I've posted my progress on the RPF forums here, so you can see how it all goes together.

I've been making up the belt and thought I might as well chuck the whole get on and see what it looks like in a dodgy mirror picture. For your viewing pleasure...
ImageImage

I really made this for my own pleasure and see if I could replicate a costume but I had no real intention of wearing it. However as events conspire I have manged to secure some tickets to the SCI-FI weekender next year (WIN!) and I may just bust it for the Saturday night if I'm brave enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:50 pm 
Demi-goddess

WOW. That's so amazing. I'm not familiar with the game so I did a quick google of her and oh my goodness. You've done such an amazing job. Trust me, definitely bust that out for the Weekender. It's so beautiful. How did you make the belt pieces? Was it ready embossed fabric or did you do that yourself? (I'm also a paper crafter and love a bit of embossing). I'm so deeply in awe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:20 pm 

That is a truly amazing piece of work - I find sewing quite arduous, it's very stop start, so am totally in awe. :holyshit:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:28 am 

That really is amazing! :bigsmile:

I've recently finished my first corset. Although I realise I have no photos of it. I'll see if I can find someone to do it up so I can take some! I've also just started stitching a bag and hope to make a dress (when I can afford the fabric!) all before my mum and me embark upon making the bridesmaid dresses for my sisters wedding. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I've started knitting again after almost two years. The only thing I've knitted up to now is a couple of small cat blankets in plain old knit stitch, but after picking up some cheap yarn I've decided I want to knit myself some socks, which means learning to purl. So I'm knitting a small scarf for one of Tanja's soft toys as a practice, doing knit one purl one on a pair of circular needles. It's tricky, but not as tricky as I feared!

Of course, the socks are gonna be hella tricky as Tanja knits socks with five needles!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm 

Thank you all. I'm very happy with all the things I learned with sewing my outfit.

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
How did you make the belt pieces? Was it ready embossed fabric or did you do that yourself? (I'm also a paper crafter and love a bit of embossing). I'm so deeply in awe.

The belt pieces are actually made out of craft foam!

Each piece was cut out, using a mix of glue and water (a thick double cream consistency) each piece was covered and allowed to dry, before applying the next layer. I did about 4 layers.
To help stiffen the piece there's some fabric glued on the back.
I painted the panels with a pale gold base paint.
The outer edge is fabric trim glued on and painted with the pale gold.
The design was drawn with a metallic lead liner (the stuff used for glass painting). x15 You could use puff paint. I then drybrushed on some antique gold, bright gold and copper in random spots to add some depth to the pieces.

You can see the progress of the complete outfit and belt by clicking this link>>>here

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 am 
Demi-goddess

That was a fascinating read. And I'm even more impressed now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm 

Seriously, seriously impressed - to do that out of your own head & so beautifully too - am in awe!!!

I'm currently learning chainless foundation - normally when you start a crochet piece (not amigumuri) you do a chain, kind of like casting on, but because crochet (apart from Tunisian, which I really want to have a go at) only has one stitch at a time on the hook it hangs down & I'm forever twisting it round - so it screws up the first row.
But I'm a member of a huge FB crochet group & people posted about chainless foundation, and I'm loving it, can't imagine doing a starting chain again!!!

Rob - would love to see some of your knits :smallsmile: