It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]

What do you think of this year's Christmas/New Year episode?
5: Into the West. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
4: They lived happily ever after. 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
3: The End. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
2: The Butler did it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1: It was all a dream. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Christmas 2018 is coming a week late this year. A cynical ploy to have Doctor Who transmitted in 2019? You decide.
Anyway, it's another longish wait to the next season, so let's hope it's a good one to tide us over.

Trailer below

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Meh. Which sadly sums up this series. Not pointing fingers at anyone involved just generally feel meh about the whole show.
Maybe a years break will be good for the show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:46 pm 

I was quite happy with that. Could have stripped down some of the family moments and moved the time to the end as the ending felt a little rushed. Overall though a good story with a good bit of threat.
Some silly nit picks - why was the police car 20 years old (W reg), can the other two guardians be stood down now and what were they guarding - presumably more Dalek tech that maybe the doctors should take for safe keeping?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Gave that a 4, for me possibly the best episode of the run. Bit silly in places (like the TARDIS wouldn't have microwave technology somewhere) and, still, feeling like I'm an adult watching a kid's programme, but overall I liked it a lot and it felt very much like an episode of pre-comeback Who.

But, my main problem really was that it was a return of the Daleks episode after so, so many new Daleks episodes. This would have been, in my opinion, a better episode than "Dalek" in Eccleston's series. It would have made more sense, and had a greater impact (especially if the supernova at the end were replaced with the dying sun of Scaro). There's been so many Dalek episodes in new Who now, it doesn't really convince that this Dalek has been sitting around for so long. WWII? New York? That one with the parallel earth Cybermen? Not to mention all the original series Daleks on earth.

But all in all, I enjoyed it for what it was; really liked the cobbled together Dalek shell too.

On a different note, my autocorrect changed Scaro to Scarborough. Made me laugh.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

There were good bits and not so good bits in this for me. Essentially a retread of Daleks, for a series were they don't need reintroduced.

I liked the way it was a nice counterpoint to the first Whitaker episode, with the Dalek building it's casing out of scrap. And this time Ryan's relative was actually saved.

New look Shabby-chic built from scrap Dalek, for one episode only, looked both cool and slightly off. The upper section, with the red glow, looked brilliant, the weapons were fine, but the central body section looked a bit thin.

Too many people standing around doing nothing by the end. This was also a problem in the Davison era when their was also too many companions. Also is it wrong to point out that the two archaeologists had more personality and chemistry than a couple of the regulars.

Gripes -
The police car chase looked as if it had escaped from Casualty.
So did the extended family bits.

All in all a better season ender than the one a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm 

Catbus wrote:
can the other two guardians be stood down now and what were they guarding - presumably more Dalek tech that maybe the doctors should take for safe keeping?

I wondered what was the point of them if they had no bearing on the story whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:56 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
aphaniusmento wrote:
Catbus wrote:
can the other two guardians be stood down now and what were they guarding - presumably more Dalek tech that maybe the doctors should take for safe keeping?

I wondered what was the point of them if they had no bearing on the story whatsoever.

They were guarding the other bits of the chopped up Dalek. When the bit in Sheffield was placed under the UV light it absorbed enough energy to teleport the other bits to it and reconstitute itself. Best not to think about the science too hard!

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Definitely don't think too much about it.
Especially as the buried bits were about 10 cm down after 1200 years, while the unburied Sheffield one was so far down it was in a sewer. Let alone the whole infrastructure that set up two sets of uninterrupted Guardian lines based in the middle of nowhere.

And that's before the teleporting bits of dead Daleks, more advanced than any Dalek yet seen, but who left Skaro before the later fleets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Really enjoyed the story but this is the first time i found the music intrusive

LOVED the junkyard dalek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:58 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Written by showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Having gotten used to seeing nine of the ten episodes of the first Jodie Whittaker season, the exception being the season opener The Woman Who Fell To Earth, beginning with the title sequence, the fact that there was no title sequence for Resolution took me by surprise.
Unlike The Woman Who Fell To Earth, I did not come across any advance notice the lack of title sequence in the beginning.
Guest stars Charlotte Ritchie as Lin.
Between 2015 and 2018, Charlotte Ritchie was a series regular in Call The Midwife.
Curiously enough the 2018 Call The Midwife Christmas Special shown exactly the week before Resolution is the first Call The Midwife is the first episode since her departure from that series.
It feels like she swapped one special to be in another special.
Another curio is that just as she played a character called Lin in Resolution I found out afterwards that in 2016 she was in a short dealing with the same premise called The Time Traveller’s Support Group playing the similarly named character of Lina.
Intriguing narration about what we soon learn to be about a Dalek.
Noticed the shape of a Dalek on that plastic sleeve but I knew about the Dalek’s appearance beforehand so that should not come as a surprise to me.
Completely forgotten about Ryan’s dad until Graham opened that door and saw him. Now we know his name is Aaron.
Shocking moment on seeing the Dalek mutant attached to Lin.
Charlotte was superb in playing Lin being mesmerised by the Dalek mutant and very good being presented as a human Dalek especially when she fired the Dalek gun.
The sight of Lin with the view of her back as she working on her laptop by her desk made me think of a similar sight with Karen Gillan in the movie Not Another Happy Ending (2013).
The music was sure thrilling when we first see Lin driving in the highway.
Amusing when Graham got accidentally left behind when the TARDIS took off leaving him some alone time with Aaron.
Aaron earlier had coffee alone with Ryan.
It seems that this was deliberate to allow Aaron to have alone time with Ryan and Graham separately as they are the two characters who knows him well.
The Doctor gives a call to UNIT asking to speak to Kate. For a moment I thought whether we were going to see Jemma Redgrave back as Kate but alas it was not to be as the Doctor was informed that UNIT’s operations has been suspended due to money issues.
This seems to be the Chibnall equivalent to when John Nathan-Turner decided to get rid of K9 and the sonic screwdriver.
Ironically before he was showrunner it was Chibnall who brought Kate into NuWho in The Power of Three back in 2012 unlike JNT who had nothing to do with bringing K9 and the sonic screwdriver into Doctor Who in the first place.
The Thirteenth Doctor finally meets a Dalek and oh my that is an unusual looking Dalek.
The Thirteenth Doctor meeting this Dalek feels akin to when the Ninth Doctor met one in Dalek.
Just as Dalek revealed the used of the Dalek balls, Resolution presented a new use of the Dalek balls this time with the presentation of weapons.
Netflix gets mentioned when that family suddenly found they got nothing to distract themselves.
No doubt a message to the audience to have some time off once in a while from modern entertainment like Netflix.
Shocking when the Dalek mutant after its machine was destroyed that it attached itself to Aaron before being sucked out into space.
Ultimately Resolution presented a very good resolution (pun intended).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]