It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]

What do you think of this week's episode?
5: Kali 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
4: Tarakasur 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
3: Simhika 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
2: Mada 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
1: Bhandasura 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:51 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Second historical of the year. Another 20th century story and again at a time of important political importance.

Question is, are we going to get another one concentrating on the historical, or will the fantastic come to the fore.

Here is the link to the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

And more of a historical, with a smattering of the fantastic to keep the Beeb bosses happy.

So Father's Day without the companion being stupid. I enjoyed it as it was happening, not sure how it will hold up on repeats.

Also looks like these new historicals are going to be ending on mood music that will roll over the credits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Gave it a 4. Quite enjoyable but also I think fairly forgettable, not one I'll be finding in a few years on Sky and thinking "oh cool, I like that one".

I think the companions (friends, TARDIS team, whatever) were a bit too ready to let the guy die. I thought they should have wrestled with it a lot more, but they were just kind of, oh alright then.

Why do all that science stuff in a barn when the TARDIS wasn't really that far away?

I'm definitely missing a series story arc at this point. Adventure of the week doesn't really do it for me in today's world of serialised television.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

It was ok I guess. I do think a story arc (even it's not that blatant and hidden in the background) is needed though as Tao has said. For me. Doctor Who needs to decide if it wants to be a 'Monster of the Week' show, have a few 2/3 parters (like the Mummy 3 parter last year) or have an arc running through it from ep 1 to 10/11.

That being said I think Jodie is fantastic in the role.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Yeah. At this point, even if some of the loose threads come into play in the last episode, it's no arc.

Truthfully thought, both "Bad Wolf" and "Torchwood" weren't arcs. They were both name-drops to precede the final story.
However both of those seasons had a couple stories that could be said led up/set the context for it. The real story arc over the first 2 seasons was a lot more hidden.

This all could still happen.

The current problem is that there hasn't been any "wow" stories. And with only 10 episodes this season, there is a lot less chance for one.

It's all very well that Chibnall is trying to evoke early Hartnell, however the first 10 episodes wouldn't take you beyond the end of The Daleks, while the same rough runtime would bring in Edge of Destruction and Marco Polo. Essentially 4 multi episode arcs.

And instead of evoking the first "Team TARDIS", I am starting to get a "The Sarah Jane Aventures - The Grown Up Years" feel. And truthfully Clyde would be a lot more interesting than Ryan, and I think Rani and her family would have been a welcome return even though I like Yaz.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:13 am 

Location: ISS London, Battlecruiser Imperial Navy, Segmentum Solar
A worthy historical episode that highlighted a not well known turning point in History .

BUT it didn't feel like a Who Episode to me ... BBC could've done a 60/90/120 minute mystery/drama like this without the Alien bit , & it easily could be just as good . I was extremely tired & busy when watching , so will try to watch again on BBC2 repeat to pick up anything I missed out on .

Overall I'm normally easy to please , but this whole series has been rather disappointing . :neutral:
No criticism of Jodie as she's excellent - as is Bradley Walsh . At least they've got s number of Episodes to still turn it around IMHO ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:27 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Going to just bullet point it

thought it told a very good historical tale

Jodie is getting better every episode

Once again I am loving the subtle understated but at times ghostly music (this composer is burying Murry Gold)

Once again Bradley Walsh impressed me his "your living your lie from the inside" speech was good

The scenery and visuals look stunning

Casual banter between the 3 companions is good

I am loving this series but would like a classic villain now please although the baddies in this did remind me of this guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:54 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Series writing debut by Vinay Patel
This episode begins with Yaz and her family celebrating her gran’s birthday.
Wonder how long it has been for Yaz since she came back from “the shop” in Arachnids In The UK and how that talk went with her mum about the Doctor.
The gran Umbreen said that she was the first woman married in Pakistan.
Looking back on it now Umbreen didn’t say who she married to as we soon find out it wasn’t to Yaz’s granddad.
After Umbreen gave Yaz a broken watch, Yaz asked the Doctor for them to go to that time in Umbreen’s life to find out what happened.
Certainly shades of Father’s Day when Rose asked the Doctor to see her father Pete before he died.
Demons of the Punjab is a historical episode that of the partition of India and horrifying the divisions it presents due to the land that separates India and Pakistan and the people on it.
Intriguing about the Vajarians as they were not assassins as first thought but witnesses.
Despite having seen Umbreen in the future, Yaz wanted to stay to make sure her gran is safe.
Certainly a recent contrast to Clara when in Cold War & Kill The Moon when she took the future for granted as time can be in flux.
Commendable when Graham saying about striving to be good men and striving to be good people is the best thing we can do.
The Doctor officiates at the wedding and quite inspiring what she said about love.
Kind of amusing how Umbreen decided to move to Sheffield just by placing a pin on a map by chance.
Quite sad the conflict with the brothers because of the partition and that it cost one of them his life.
Moving that last scene with Yaz and elder Umbreen.
Second episode after Rosa, which too is a historical episode, has the end credits playing music which I initially thought wasn’t the theme music before it was pointed out that it was the Indian version of the theme.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Access All Areas on Demons of the Punjab:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]