It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]

What do you think of this week's episode?
5: The Enigma Variations 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4: The Riddle of the Sphinx 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
3: The Mystery of Edwin Droid. 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
4: A Monkey Puzzle tree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5: The faked moon landings conspiracy theory. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:19 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

This one could be a riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Are we heading to the Tunguska explanation in Russia I hear you ask. Or not.

No we are heading to outer space again.
The question then becomes, will this loosely tie in with the first two episodes, either the Stenza, or the part of the universe the race took part in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:22 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Like every other story this year, it started strong, looked good, then sort of petered out.

The alien monster didn't do it for me, and the CGI on it was on par with those aliens in Galaxy Quest - and that was about 20 years ago.

On another plus side, it was Jodie's best performance as the Doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 am 

Agree that the episode ran out of steam. I was liking the ridiculous levels of ratcheting up the perils as every minute a new problem was added to the mix, but then everything was resolved and we still had another 5 minutes or so to fill.
Doctor featured front and centre throughout, but mainly as none of the companions really had anything to do other than stand around. This might as well have been a doctor only episode like Midnight.
The monster was a little too cute and reminded me a lot of Nibbler from Futurama, so any threat from it was muted.
Overall then an OK story, but not a great one. 3/5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:21 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Yeah, gave it a 3 too, it was OK but that's about it.

One thing that annoyed me was the Doctor calling the sonic clever for rebooting or whatever. In the past maybe, but The Doctor built this one from scratch so that shouldn't have come as a surprise, it ended up being a clunky plot-forwarding shortcut. Lazy writing as far as I'm concerned.

Presumably they'll all conveniently be back on the TARDIS next week without really explaining how (OK, transmat was mentioned but still). I'd like the writers to up their game going forward.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Agreed. If they had had a few "find the TARDIS" episodes this would have fitted right in. Or a larger story arc were after the first story they ended up on the medical ship, before a finishing story, it would have fitted just as well.

But so far it's a lot of 1 offs with a lot of dangling threads that I hope will be pulled together at some point. Next week also looking like a single story one as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Catbus wrote:
Agree that the episode ran out of steam. I was liking the ridiculous levels of ratcheting up the perils as every minute a new problem was added to the mix, but then everything was resolved and we still had another 5 minutes or so to fill.
Doctor featured front and centre throughout, but mainly as none of the companions really had anything to do other than stand around. This might as well have been a doctor only episode like Midnight.
The monster was a little too cute and reminded me a lot of Nibbler from Futurama, so any threat from it was muted.
Overall then an OK story, but not a great one. 3/5

Thank you!!! been bugging me since last night as too what it reminded me of!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:56 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Series directorial debut by Jennifer Perrott.
She is an Australian and her previous work included Home And Away, Offspring and in 2008 directed future companion Karen Gillan in her starring role in Stacked.
Intriguing on what I thought was a land mine turn out instead to be a sonic mine.
The Doctor, Graham, Ryan and Yaz then found themselves on what appeared to be a hospital.
Jodie Whittaker had been in such an environment before when she starred in the first season of Trust Me where she played a nurse pretending to be of all things a doctor.
In fact Jodie Whittaker’s reveal as the Doctor in 2017 came just before the debut of Trust Me.
In addition to this, The Tsuranga Conundrum has her reuniting with her Trust Me co-star Lois Chimimba (Mabli).
Jodie had also worked with Brett Goldstein (Astos) before in a movie called Adult Life Skills (2016).
Director Perrott also had previous experience in a hospital environment as she was a director on British medical series Doctors.
Funnily enough Patrick Mulkern in his Radio Times review reference another British medical series Casualty as he called Casualty In Space.
Perhaps it is a sense of irony that Perrott had directed on Doctors but not Casualty and perhaps a casual viewer can’t tell the difference between these two British medical series.
The Tsuranga of the title is soon revealed to be where the travellers woke up to after the sonic mine and it turned out to be a spaceship.
Second episode after The Ghost Monument in which the travellers to wake up in an unknown spaceship.
Shocking when Astos got killed after getting in a pod and then exploding with him in it.
That little creature the P’Ting is sure menacing including eating metal.
It even had a taste of the sonic screwdriver before spitting it out. Was thinking that this was the end of this sonic before it was revealed that it can reboot itself.
For the first time ever in Doctor Who we see a pregnant man. The only other time I have seen a pregnant man is the movie Junior (1994).
Jack Shalloo who played the pregnant man Yoss said in a video interview that he too thought of Junior.
Lost for words from the pregnant man that men give birth to boys and women give birth to girls.
Ryan’s dad is brought up again and we get more information this time as he recounts when his dad left after the death of his mom.
I am thinking that we probably going to see the dad later this season.

Graham and Ryan reference Call The Midwife upon seeing the pregnant man giving birth.
I watch Call The Midwife and whilst on the topic of medical shows other current medical shows I watch are Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Doctor and The Resident and the only classic medical show I am now watching is Trapper John, MD.
Moving on brother and sister Durkas and Eve Cicero expressing their love with one another before sadly the latter died.
The pregnant man and General Eve Cicero’s heart condition played out like a soap opera and with this taking place on a spaceship made this feels like an episode of Star Trek: Voyager and incidentally Karen Gillan is a Voyager fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 pm 

I started watching it while I was doing the ironing. I then finished the ironing and went on a tinder binge before the episode had finished while glancing at the screen from time to time to see if anything was going on. That's about all I can say really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Access All Areas on The Tsuranga Conundrum:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]