It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]

What do you think of this week's episode?
5: Arachnophobia 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
4: Tarantula 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
3: Eight Legged Freaks 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
2: Kingdom of the Spiders 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
1: Ice Spiders 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:53 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

So a return home and spiders.

This weeks questions
- what excuse will come up to continue traveling with the Doctor
- Are these arachnids related in anyway to previous DW spiders (Racnos, Metabolism III spiders or the Animus) or with Chibnall's promise, be something new.

Here is the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:14 pm 

Good performances all round, particularly from Bradley Walsh. Spiders looked great, but story wasn't particularly original so 3/5 for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:23 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

And in the end, more The Green Death.

The moment they said coal mine I knew exactly where this was going.

The spiders looked pretty damned good.

And good reason for the companions to continue traveling. And we seem to be having a proper family for Tax. And another distrustful mother. It's been a while.

So, this is the fourth week where we have story threads left over. The spider storyline fizzled out - I assume they will be dealt with off screen. However the fact that Robertson survived and is going after the US presidency, the way it was left again felt unfinished.

If these hanging threads aren't dealt with later it will leave these stories unsatisfying on rewatch in years to come.
If they do pull together somehow, then these could improve in time. As it is, they are feeling unfinished.

PS - loved the new look of the time vortex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Basileus wrote:
However the fact that Robertson survived and is going after the US presidency, the way it was left again felt unfinished.

She could have done the "Don't you think he looks tired?" thing but perhaps she is letting him win. Robertson 2020 I say!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:56 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking back to that scene.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:25 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Written by showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Series directorial debut by Sallie Aprahamian.
This is the episode with Chris Noth in it and he is playing Jack Robertson.
With the episode title, it made me remember a movie that I saw in 1992 and that was Arachnophobia (1990).
Perhaps unsurprisingly Arachnophobia got mentioned at Whovians whilst talking about Arachnids In The UK.
I did think about whether this would be a sequel to Planet of the Spiders before remembering that this season is not having links to the series’ past.
Impressive on seeing the new space-time vortex the first time in this the Chibnall era.
We meet Yaz’s family including her mum Najia.
The Thirteenth Doctor uses her sonic screwdriver to get into Dr McIntyre’s colleague’s place. The response with this that it was breaking and entering but the Doctor didn’t say it was sonicing and entering as the Eleventh Doctor said that in The Hungry Earth.
In fact The Hungry Earth, like Arachnids In The UK, is written by Chibnall.
The fact that Chibnall had written The Hungry Earth was not something I had remembered immediately. I remember that scene because it had Karen Gillan as Amy (and Karen is always in my mind) about it being breaking and entering which was followed by the Doctor’s sonicing and entering response.
Horrifying on seeing all those webs at Dr McIntyre’s colleague’s place before seeing her dead covered in web.
Terrifying when that spider turned up under the bed. Reminded me when the Clockwork Man did the same in The Girl In The Fireplace as it had the same effect.
In fact Arachnids In The UK is the fourth episode of the first Jodie Whittaker season and The Girl In The Fireplace is the fourth episode of the first David Tennant season.
Second episode in a row that I found something in common with the corresponding episode of the said David Tennant season.
Will I find the next episode The Tsuranga Conundrum have in common with Rise of the Cybermen?
That was sure a much bigger spider that Robertson saw.
When I saw his terrified face in the Next Time trailer I thought it was a cameo for Noth before he got killed off but instead it turned out to be a full on guest role instead.
Robertson left Kevin his bodyguard to deal with the spider but the spider kills Kevin. Gee Robertson is all heart.
Wasn’t thinking of it but the Thirteenth Doctor presents the psychic paper upon meeting Robertson.
With the prospect of Robertson running for president, Trump and the Russians gets mentioned. That’s way too topical for my liking.
What a revelation that the hotel was built on a landfill hence the reason for the spiders and the rubbish at Yaz’s place that was seen earlier was sure a foreshadowing of this.
It made Najia to say that it prove that her husband and Yaz’s father was right that there is a conspiracy.
At Whovians parallels were made with The Green Death but I honestly wasn’t thinking of that story when the landfill was shown.
This situation ends with Robertson shooting that big spider which I found to be anti-climatic and presented ominous signs of what would happen if he does become President of the United States.
When Najia tells Yaz that they were going to talk about the Doctor, I knew the moment when Yaz that this talk would take place when she gets back to the shop that she was going back to resume her travels with the Doctor.
Having accidentally gone along with the Doctor at the end of The Woman Who Fell To Earth, the end of this episode sure gave Graham, Ryan and Yaz each a reason to join the Doctor on her travels this time on their own volitions and the Doctor was right to caution them about their safety and that when or if they come back home they would not be the same people they were when they began their travels with her.
A fun bit that was noticed in Whovians is that when the Doctor and Dr McIntyre were talking in the lab, Tosin Cole, evidently not acting as Ryan could be seen in the background making shadow puppets.
It seems that he was having a little fun that would go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Access All Areas on Arachnids In The UK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1iYhg7zdmI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:57 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Have to say I am LOVING the less intrusive but really different background music

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:02 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

In that case, 5 minute piece on the new composer and the music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
In that case, 5 minute piece on the new composer and the music.

Thanks that was actually very interesting ... music has a bit of an impossible planet/firefly vibe ad the more I hear the more I like

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 pm 

Just above average and it's points are for the creep factor. Any word on if the kids were scared?

All the leads were doing well enough again but Yaz is still the most underwritten of the bunch and there's not much character between her whole family. Also when she had a gun pointed at her you think she might have mentioned that she's a police officer and demanded to see the guys licence.

Also, despite what I said about Jodie last week I still feel the writers haven't found the voice for this Doctor yet. Fair enough it's a whole new writing team and I'm hopeful we'll get some progression soon but "Tea at Yaz's!" sounded like she was trying to out-Tennant Tennant and "I should get a sofa. Imagine me with a sofa!" was pure Smith. Still I'm sure it won't take as long as it did with Capaldi.

I could have done without the you-know-who caricature (who I was calling Ronald Grump before we found out his name). It might have been fine a few years ago and I don't have a problem with Who critiquing or satirising current events but not so on the nose when they're automatically doing it themselves. No surprise that he walked away unscathed.

Unfortunately it was all wrapped up in a bit of a hurry. Was there any fallout from the mess under the hotel or the people killed? And what about the spiders in the rest of the city? Did they get them as well? The last episode that felt so rushed at the end was The Power of Three. Now why did it remind me of that?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]