It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]

What do you think of this week's episode?
5: The Oh Wow, a rambling rose 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
4: Tip Top, a floribunda rose 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
3: Ruffles and Flourishes, a hybrid tea rose. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
2: Kind Regards, a floribunda 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
1: Iceberg, a floribunda 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

The next time trailer is below. The theme seems to be an overt "stop time from being altered". That would indicate a time traveling villain with an agenda, as opposed to contemporary villain at that point in time. We will see.

However for US viewers I am sure this will be seen as Doctor Who making a political statement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:19 pm 

Location: ISS London, Battlecruiser Imperial Navy, Segmentum Solar
Tardis was parked near suspiciously modern shiny metal (British?) rubbish dumpsters in that alley , at the start ?

These are what painted American dumpsters looked like in the 1950's

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/374643262724066483/

http://www.classicrefusetrucks.com/albums/FL/FL01.html

No idea where this was filmed , but those looked like those I've seen in London & Liverpool . Perhaps my perception filters are on the blink ... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 pm 

A good story, but felt it was a little long and could have trimmed maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

Since Kraskow or whatever he was called, was only displaced in time, not killed, then I wonder if he'll make a return later in the series?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Well, that felt like an episode of Timeless.

The closest we have come to a true historical in a long time. If you discount the time traveling racist intent on changing time. Who I assume is going to reoccur. Although how much milage we can get out of him I don't know.

Interesting callback to the Stormcage facility and the wrist time manipulator. If his time period is the 79th century, that's a good two half thousand years plus since River and the Captain Jack time agency. A connection or not.

Again the production quality is great. And the companions had something to do. Also I am liking that these stories are taking days.

TARDIS set was lit more, and was all the better for it. I like the new screens, and the animated Gallifreyan script. It also seems we have a central time rotor. Not too sure if the plastic looking crystal going up and down is a good look.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 pm 

Another good episode with strong performances throughout but am I the only one who feels this run is so far lacking any real sense of fear or threat. So far it's been individuals in peril, ok, technically the civil rights movement was threatened this week but via one persons place in it's history. On the whole, I am enjoying this season but it needs to bring the fear factor back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 pm 

Now that I absolutely loved! Favourite one so far this year and at 50 minutes had just the right time to let the story breathe. It sure didn't flinch on the racism which may shock and educate a few younger viewers.

Jodie's absolutely got it now. She was the nicest badass when sparring off against Kraskow who I assume will be back at some point. But I thought the Doctor might have been a bit miffed at Ryan for stealing the device and getting rid of him like that, even though his street cred shot up. My first thought was he might be a Time Agent like Jack.

And is anyone else wondering if Yas might have unknowingly influenced history there? Would Rosa have still done what she did if Yas hadn't mentioned that she was a police officer? Or is it just me?

Although I could have done without the asteroid at the end (Seriously!?) and where did they get the money to pay for everything?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Given this a (strong) three. Started off great but it started getting a bit...worthy, at the expense of the story. Don't get me wrong, condemnation of racism is absolutely hugely important, but the trick is to have a great enjoyable episode while doing it, and at times this crossed the line into preachiness and self-congratulation, especially towards the end with that song playing, even over the end credits. I thought Capaldi's Doctor punching the racist guy in Victorian London was perfect and understated while making the same point.

I'd like The Doctor to be a bit more centred and in control, Whittaker was a little too breathless in places.

No doubt the bad guy will reappear at some point later in the series.

Loving the new opening theme, and I like the TARDIS a lot, what I've seen of it.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 am 

Wee Little Puppet Man wrote:
Although I could have done without the asteroid at the end (Seriously!?)

What was wrong with the asteroid? I thought it was a nice way to cap off the idea of her legacy stretching through time and out into space. It's a real asteroid, after all.

I did enjoy the bad guy being a literal white supremacist. As much as the Daleks or other allegorical stand-ins are useful sometimes, it's also good for the show to acknowledge that bigotry is part of human nature, even long into the future.

The main downside for the episode for me was that the team felt a little too involved in events. I'd have preferred it if they didn't interact with Rosa at all once they'd worked out what was happening, instead trying to manage it all from the sidelines. But still, a really good story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 pm 

Pez wrote:
Wee Little Puppet Man wrote:
Although I could have done without the asteroid at the end (Seriously!?)

What was wrong with the asteroid? I thought it was a nice way to cap off the idea of her legacy stretching through time and out into space. It's a real asteroid, after all.

I just thought it seemed totally random, out of place and thrown in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:27 pm 

Looks like I'm gonna have to take that back now.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who ... cene-rosa/

Honest to god I didn't know that was for real. :surprised:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm 

It gets a 3 from me. I think it would have worked better without the future bad guy trying to nudge things in the wrong direction, and just had the Doctor and her companions finding out that they were supposed to be on the bus from a photo or something. That might have been a much shorter show though.

The main problem I had with the bad guy was that I couldn't see what his motivation was. If Rosa Parks had missed the bus, would there still be segregation in the 80th century or whenever he is supposed to be from? Or did he just want the asteroid to be named after Peter Beardsley instead? Very strange.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

DeepGoat wrote:
It gets a 3 from me. I think it would have worked better without the future bad guy trying to nudge things in the wrong direction, and just had the Doctor and her companions finding out that they were supposed to be on the bus from a photo or something. That might have been a much shorter show though.

The main problem I had with the bad guy was that I couldn't see what his motivation was. If Rosa Parks had missed the bus, would there still be segregation in the 80th century or whenever he is supposed to be from? Or did he just want the asteroid to be named after Peter Beardsley instead? Very strange.

Think the point is Rosa Parks was probably asked to move seats many times but that day was the day she said finally said no that led to her arrest and the civil rights moment, Future guy probably had his reasons but his reasons were not the story we just need to accept that he believed that stopping this moment would change his future

the day after it may not have happened it might have just been that she moved seat ... they kept saying it "small moments" that one day was the day probably the only day that the sequence of events that followed would follow the way they did

Im not saying that the civil rights moment would not have happened but that moment that day was the spark

I will also say that Bradley Walsh always impresses with his acting .... I just tend to forget he can actually act

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:16 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Totally agree about Bradley Walsh. The scene in the motel room remembering Grace, brought to life a character we had only seen in one episode, and included her in the family circle in 1955.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:19 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Written by Malorie Blackman and showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Second episode in a row in which there is no teaser sequence. It looks like that Chibnall has decided to do away with it.
The Thirteenth Doctor, Graham, Ryan and Yaz arrive in 1955 and meet Rosa Parks.
Before I watched this episode a facebook friend pointed out that the Seventh Doctor and Mel was also in 1955 in Delta and the Bannerman.
Not only that but Delta and the Bannerman & Rosa share the same actor in Morgan Deare. He was Hawk in Delta and the Bannerman and is Arthur in Rosa.
For anyone who is not a time traveler, who says no one can be in two places at the same time.
Over at Whovians, Tegan Higginbotham pointed out that Back To The Future travelled back in time to 1955.
1955 is sure a popular time travel destination.
Blackman had written for the Seventh Doctor for the short story The Ripple Effect.
Rosa is played by Vinette Robinson. She had been in Doctor Who before playing Abi Lerner in 42 also written by Chibnall.
Funny when the Doctor says that Elvis had borrowed a mobile phone from the Doctor. Elvis with a mobile that is something I like to see.
The villain here is Krasko played by Joshua Bowman. This is not the first time that Bowman had time travelled as he had played Jack the Ripper in the short-lived Time After Time TV series.
To be frank, Bowman as Krasko is less impressive to when he played Jack The Ripper especially how Krasko was easily dealt with by Ryan.
It would be a shame if this is all Bowman gets to do in Doctor Who.
The Doctor identified Krasko as an ex-prisoner of Stormcage. River was also at Stormcage. Did they know each other?
The Doctor, Graham, Ryan and Yaz standing at the motel made me think of a similar sight with the Third Doctor, the Master and UNIT for Radio Times.
Impressive new use of the sonic screwdriver with covering and then uncovering of the Doctor’s writings on the motel wall.
Funny when Graham introduced himself as Steve Jobs.
What a surprise when Rosa introduced Ryan to Martin Luther King Jr. Wasn’t expecting to see King in this episode despite him earlier coming up in conversation.
As they were talking about a bus, the Doctor says that she got her transport metaphors mixed up when she said off the rails. I myself have used off the rails when I refer to a different mode of transport that of an aeroplane in reference to an event in my personal life.
When James Black revealed to Graham was having a day off instead of driving a bus on that fateful day the Doctor had the replacement driver winning a raffle for a trip to Las Vegas to see Frank Sinatra.
This is akin to the Tenth Doctor becoming a teacher in School Reunion by placing a winning lottery ticket in the mailbox of his predecessor.
In fact Rosa is the third episode of the first Jodie Whittaker season and School Reunion is the third episode of the first David Tennant season.
What a truly great moment with Rosa refusing to Blake on giving up her seat and Robinson delivered her scene superbly.
The Doctor says afterwards that Rosa kept on fighting and this episode did a great service to her legacy.
This episode which presented racism in its ugly form came on October 21 2018 and on this same date Supergirl 4.2 also touched upon racism but of a different kind that towards aliens living on Earth.
Surprise that for the first time the end credits played music that wasn’t the Doctor Who theme but instead Rise Up by Andra Day.
The Next Time trailer for Arachnids In The UK revealed that this is the episode with Chris Noth in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:25 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Access All Areas on Rosa.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]