4: Superman - A century or too 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
3: David Bowie 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
2: Rain and snow - as fun as precipitation can be 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
1: Feathers - No impact at all 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Not putting in the First Look trailer, as I don't want to watch any scene out of context. I want to watch the episode as unspoiled as possible.

So here is the last series trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:06 pm 

Overall I liked it. Only criticism is It dragged a little in the middle, but picked up when we got to the building site. Otherwise I like the cast and fairly straightforward story. More please.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

It was very Yorkshire wasn't it.

Also a breadth of fresh air. It felt new and different. Yet also the same. So a good job of introducing a new Doctor.

With seconds Whitaker was the Doctor, so job done.

Least successful bit was Tim Shaw (although I the Doctor calling him that) and the whole sub Predator rip off. That felt a bit SJA in its more CBBC episodes. Could have done with more of the spooky alien menace and investigation from the start spread over a few episodes while getting to know the new crew.

Although I understand the need to get them out there ASAP, not to worry the audience that we are earthbound.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 pm 

Location: ISS London, Battlecruiser Imperial Navy, Segmentum Solar
Really not sure about this one ? Nothing grabbed onto my attention on first viewing
. I am very tired after a stressful week , but did think 'meh' a number of times . Will watch again Friday morning & see if I can gather more enthusiasm .

Was there any titles by the way ? I did leave the room for 90 seconds , but don't recall any music until the end ? Again tiredness may gave played a factor .

Onto the next Episode ...

[EDIT] Lowdecker just sent me this link :
https://me.me/i/the-stages-of-regenerat ... y-16147419

While I don't necessarily agree , I found it hilarious !! :hitthetable:

Last edited by Fleet Captain Roak on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:35 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
I thought it dragged a bit in places. If they are going to do an extra long episode it should be for a reason but this could easily have been shorter and better paced.

A little scene involving regenerating in Sheffield to explain the accent would have gone a long way to, well, integrate the accent. The Doctor could have started off with a British non-accent then picked it up from everyone else. Matter of less than a minute and then forgotten about.

Gave it a three, it was OK but not mind-blowing. And I wanted an opening title sequence. Loved the music at the end though, very old-school Who.

Elephant in the room time. Does The Doctor work as a woman? For me, now, The Doctor isn't a woman, and has never been a man, but is an alien hermaphrodite. I don't think I can relate, as a human, to the character as well going forward. All right, two hearts, regeneration, psychic powers, fine, but both male and female is so totally alien that I'm now utterly separated from any feeling of...sameness. I'm watching a series about an alien, which I've never really felt before. Is Jodie Whittaker pulling it off as The Doctor? Yes, yes she really is, at no point did I not see her as that character.

Other than that, too close to the Predator concept for the bad guy, I wish it could have been a bit more original. Did like the Tim Shaw joke though.

Edit: Oh, another complaint: this was recorded in stereo, not 5.1 surround sound. Being blind in one eye, a well-realised sound-scape has always been very important to me. I have a dedicated 5.1 AV receiver and when I moved in to my house I installed 5.1 wiring in the walls of my living room. With some decent speakers I've got a great set up, so it's really disappointing to find that they haven't bothered with true surround sound.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:31 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Yup, opening credits were missing. I hope it's just for the first one. That wee section where the theme kicked in just after Whitaker appeared was nice, but not the same.

The end credits though, I really dug. Very much old school yet updated. And the theme, the best version for years. Going back in places to the original. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:05 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Enjoyed it. Jodie did well, shows promise and hopefully has the role for a while.
Did wonder why Graham and wife had to get the train when the spent the second half of the episode in the car. Sheffield looked gorgeous though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm 

Location: ISS London, Battlecruiser Imperial Navy, Segmentum Solar
Basileus wrote:
Yup, opening credits were missing. I hope it's just for the first one. That wee section where the theme kicked in just after Whitaker appeared was nice, but not the same.

The end credits though, I really dug. Very much old school yet updated. And the theme, the best version for years. Going back in places to the original. :thumbs:

I did find that extremely odd then ? I wonder if they'll have Titles restored for the boxed set ? Recall Who , Star Trek & I think X-File episodes were titles didn't get played until 11 to 17 minutes in . Fair enough , but NO TITLES ?? Weird ... :eek:
After 45 years observing them since age 2½ you get used to them ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:12 pm 

I've voted 2 - it was nowhere near as bad as the worst Doctor Who I've seen, but it wasn't good.

Jodie Whittaker was probably the best thing about it, managing to be just slightly scatty after the regeneration instead of veering between comatose and manic like most other Doctors. The new companions are... OK.

I just found it all really dull. I've only just finished watching it, but I don't think I could say what the alien things plot was about. There were too many things that seemed so familiar I wasn't sure if they were homage or pastiche, or just that I've watched too much stuff and nothing seems new any more.

For example: the alien pod thing strongly reminded me of the monsters from The Hero Yoshihiko, and I found myself wishing I was watching that instead.

I kept thinking the music was about to turn into Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, and I was disappointed when it didn't. In fact, I'm not sure if the music I was thinking of was actually in the show or maybe I was just so bored that I was imagining it in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:58 pm 

I loved it, though a second viewing will be in order to be sure. Jodie's got it and the rest of the cast were great too, even if Yas didn't get as much of a look in as the rest. It was pretty obvious Grace wasn't gonna make it to the end when she wasn't on the posters yet I was still surprised they went there. Are we in for a change after 8 years of "everybody lives?" And I liked her the most out of all the companions.

A few niggles though.

1. Just how did she survive that fall? It was bad enough when Ten jumped out of a spaceship.
2. Ryan touching the blue pod like that. Come on, who's to say it couldn't have been radioactive?
3. Putting a sonic screwdriver in a garage out of some bits and pieces!? Iron Man looked more believable.

And what was the point of reeling of the guest star list? An excuse to play the new theme or show how diverse it is this year?

But like I said, it's great to have Doctor Who back. Bring on next Sunday!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm 

I gave it a solid 6/10 for average on Sunday. I watched it again yesterday and it played a lot better a second time round, enough to raise it to 6.5 or 7.

The look of the episode was wonderful. Some of the framing was not entirely effective but the image quality etc was first class.

I found the big ball of alien spaghetti and the tooth fairy underwhelming/a bit un-engaging, both times I watched it. Well, that's to say the probe bit in the train I thought was very effective. And then it did nothing. Yes, that's by virtue of its function (diagetic and plot wise) but it seemed other. And then get's replaced by generic bloke in prosthetics, wearing a Celestial's helmet painted black and spouting generic Klingon-y Lite cliches. And once you find out in the middle scene that he's cheating (i.e. rubbish anyway), the wind goes out of the sails of threat.

Anywhoo, baddie aside, I thought this was solid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:08 am 

Jody was immediately engaging, none of the 'friends' were annoying and the production values were high. All round a very promising start. Not having the Tardis does niggle a bit, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Woman Who Fell To Earth:
Full debut of Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor and written by new showrunner Chris Chibnall.
As the episode started I was waiting for the opening title sequence before remembering coming across an article that revealed it would be absent for this episode.
Already knew that Graham, Ryan and Yaz were going to be the new companions but their introductory episode here revealed how each of them are connected. Graham is Ryan’s stepgranddad while Ryan and Yaz are old school friends who haven’t seen each other for a long time.
Yaz is a cop in training when she looked into an alien incident which just happened to be reported by Ryan hence their reunion.
Graham’s wife and Ryan’s nan is called Grace. Grace is also the name of the Eighth Doctor’s companion and it is not like Chibnall didn’t know that.
In fact Eighth Doctor companion Grace is a surgeon while Graham would reveal that his Grace was a nurse.
This episode takes place in Sheffield. In an unfortunate coincidence just days before I had an unpleasant experience on facebook relating to Sheffield. Best not talk about it.
After a lengthy wait, the Doctor finally shows up by literally dropping in on a train.
The Doctor puts her finger in her nose. Didn’t think I would ever see that.
The Thirteenth Doctor resting on the sofa at Ryan, Graham and Grace’s place, felt like a reminder of the Tenth Doctor resting post-regeneration in his own debut The Christmas Invasion.
The Doctor and her new friends, but not us the viewer, saw the state of the dead body thanks to the alien.
We would have seen the state of the dead body if this had been Torchwood. In fact Chibnall had written on Torchwood.
The Doctor makes her own sonic screwdriver and questions this name and later refer to it as Swiss Army sonic.
Doctor Who purists would undoubtedly have a problem with the sonic screwdriver called something other than the sonic screwdriver.
When the Thirteenth Doctor and friends met the alien it felt similar in sight to when the Eleventh Doctor in his own debut The Eleventh Hour with Amy and Rory met up with the Atraxi on that roof.
When the alien revealed and introduced himself as Tzim-Sha, the Doctor thought he said Tim Shaw.
Could not help but think of well-known Australian called Tim Shaw. Unsurprisingly Whovians showed a clip of this Tim Shaw in response to this.
On seeing Karl in the train, I didn’t think much of him so it was quite something that he was targeted by Tim Shaw.
Quite a moment when the Doctor remembers who she is as she announced that she is the Doctor.
Sad that Grace dies in the midst of the battle against Tim Shaw.
The Doctor finally changed her clothes and for the first time ever it was in a shop and new clothes that got paid for right there and then.
In the course of this episode I had wondered why Graham, Ryan and Yaz would join the Doctor in her travels so it was a surprise to see that the choice was not in their hands as the Doctor was building a teleport, with the absence of the TARDIS in this episode, and it accidentally teleported them in deep space marking the cliffhanger.

The guest star trailer that came up after the end credits was sure impressive and very surprised that among them are Josh Bowman and Chris Noth, two people I wasn’t expecting to see here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Directing The Woman Who Fell To Earth:
https://www.blogtorwho.com/video-jamie- ... -to-earth/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Access All Areas on The Woman Who Fell To Earth:

Last edited by Tao on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embedding video

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]