It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Big Finish has renewed Torchwood for a sixth season and under the title God Among Us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:11 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Future Pain:
Season 6 opener.
Written by James Goss.
Not bad opener with much of it at Colchester’s memorial just as Jack fight against the Sorvix god.
Jacqueline King (Donna’s mum Sylvia) is here as a mourner.
Among the food at the memorial was scorched eggs. Goss must have a liking for them as he also wrote that in Doctor Who: Ghost Walk which I had been listening to at the same time.
Fascinating with Ro-Jedda and Ng as Torchwood cell mates and what they talked about and somehow should not be surprised that all this was so deliberate.
Colin watched a video of the late Colchester.
Before and after listening to Future Pain for the first time l saw Legends of Tomorrow 4.11 Séance and Sensibility and The Flash 5.18 Godspeed respectively and they too has a main character watching a video of a lost loved one with Nate watching Hank in the former and Nora in the future (no pun intended) watching Barry/The Flash.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: The Man Who Destroyed Torchwood:
Season 6, Episode 2.
This episode mostly has Tyler in it with limited appearances by Jack and Orr.
The said man is that of Brent Hayden who post a lot of videos online as part of his crusade to end Torchwood and the episode ultimately reveal why Tyler was with Brent here.
This presents Brent’s bizarre imaginations including his perception of Jack and I was quite shocked that his imagination had Jack saying a word that I did not expect him to say
This is rather akin to Love & Monsters but Brent makes for a rather less impressive and less sympathetic character than Elton Pope.
At certain points in The Man Who Destroyed Torchwood, Brent described himself as special.
Evidently he has no sense of humility and I was taught that lesson when I was a school boy and would have no idea how useful that would be now in my view of Brent.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: See No Evil:
Season 6, Episode 3.
Cardiff gets a citywide blackout thanks to a creature known as the Predator.
Even though the Predator was fleeting in its appearance, the episode presents a chilling atmosphere of the impact that it has caused as the characters concerned make their way through the darkness and it was literally seeing no evil.
Shocking cliffhanger by how this episode ended.

Fittingly enough listened to this twice in the darkness and not knowing what this was going to be about the first time around.

See No Evil is one of the phrases relating to the three monkeys and speaking of which I always do monkey business with my wife Karen Gillan.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:45 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Night Watch:
Season 6, Episode 4.
Jacqueline King (Donna's mum Sylvia) gets to play God here, what

God Among Us alluded to, and what an interesting interaction she had with Orr in the midst of the Black Sun.
The Black Sun sure made this episode an unusual listen as the Black Sun made people go to sleep and doing strange things.
Quite a cliffhanger by who turns up and after a certain misdirection about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Flight 405:
Season 6, Episode 5.
Flight 405 starts Part 2 of God Among Us.

Written by Lou Morgan, a Torchwood newcomer.

The end of the previous episode Night Watch had Norton being brought back to the present day.

Jack and Colchester briefly appears at the start of this episode and plays no part in the proceedings.

It seems that their conversation merely served as a recap of what went on before including the recent arrival of Norton.

This episode mostly features Yvonne, Andy and Norton as they make an unexpected team.

They investigate and come aboard Flight 405, a plane that went missing 60 years before.

This premise may spark reminders of Doctor Who: Time-Flight.

Outside of the Whoniverse, there's The Twilight Zone: The Odyssey of Flight 33 but the contemporaneous counterpart to Flight 405 is the TV series Manifest.

Manifest is about passengers of a plane who got off it five years after they first got on board it.

Curiously God Among Us 2 including Flight 405 was released on February 20 2019 just two days after Manifest had completed its first season on February 18.

Flight 405 makes for an interesting episode about the said plane including Norton meeting God during this investigation.

The said trio certainly makes a good team here.

Intriguing that this ends with Yvonne and Norton, after parting company with Andy, attended a certain same meeting, a clue of which came up earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Hostile Environment:
Season 6, Episode 6.
Written by Ash Darby, a Torchwood newcomer.
This episode mostly features Tyler.
Ng and Mr Colchester helps out along the way while Andy, Yvonne, Norton and Jack also pops up briefly.

Hostile Environment suddenly has Tyler out on the streets as a homeless person and it involved an app that allows people to tag the homeless for the purpose of helping them.
However it was anything but.

This is a compelling commentary on the homeless and Jonny Green delivered it superbly as the hoimeless Tyler.
As a homeless person, Tyler finds that he has little or no choice of what he has to do especially the choices given to him by the drone.

A key point to the episode was the efforts Tyler goes to in order to buy a phone.
This is hardly a priority for any homeless person but it works well on how this episode played out.
Tyler's efforts in getting money for the phone is the same in how my wife Karen Gillan got a little money in her short film Conventional.
I do the same to her but I do it for free because she is my wife and I love her.

With Tyler being homeless he is declared invisible to society. This is similar in premise to a Twilight Zone episode To See The Invisible Man about a man sentenced to social isolation for a year meaning that for this sentence, society is not allow to interact with him.

Coincidentally I am watching the fourth and final season of The Thick of It and has as a focus an unseen homeless man Douglas Tickel and his ultimate suicide.

Like Tickel, Tyler stayed in a tent for a little while but unlike Tickel, Tyler comes out of this still alive.

After listening to Hostile Environment I saw Friday The 13th 1.4 A Cup of Time which coincidentally also has the homeless as key plot point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Another Man's Shoes:
Season 6, Episode 7.
Written by Tim Foley.

Everybody excepts Ng experienced body switching.

The switches occur with Norton and Tyler, Andy and Yvonne and Jack and Mr. Colchester.

John Barrowman appears briefly as Colchester while Paul Clayton has all the fun being Jack.

It was certainly on the lengths Clayton went through to get a table at a restaurant.

The only thing I can say about the Norton-Tyler switch is that Norton as Tyler sure learnt humility through certain experiences.

The switch comes just as Andy's conduct is being reviewed by an assessor which he was required to meet.

Very funny how Yvonne as Andy made sure that Andy came through with flying colours even using retcon on the assessor when things did not turn out well the first time.

Andy as Yvonne found out something disturbing about her. and Yvonne stating her truth of what Torchwood is which did not leave me assured at all.

Meanwhile in all this Ng sure got something ominous from God and in an ice cream van.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Another Man's Shoes:
Season 6, Episode 8.
Written by David Llewellyn.
Eye of the Storm is what the Doctor said in Last of the Time Lords which Jack was present for.
This Torchwood episode literally involves a storm.
What starts off this episode was Andy calling Torchwood when he found stone people in a boat.
The boat has Mermaid in its name and I have been watching the TV series Siren which coincidentally is about mermaids.
The stone people is soon forgotten about as I personally was reminded of them when I listened to this the second time.
Intriguing that after the stone people this leads into a submersible.
Flight 405 is brought up here and oh my how it came to play here.
Eye of the Storm marked the end of Part 2 of God Among Us.
The climax certainly got dropped here including a tidal wave.
Just as Torchwood were investigating this got neatly complemented by a conversation between God and The Committee as an explanation what has been happening and what come next after this episode.
That epilogue was certainly surprising and it is akin to a key aspect of Day of the Daleks.

During this episode Mr Colchester made the analogy about waiting for pizza. Thank you Mr Llewellyn for writing this in as it made me get pizza on my own for the first time. Truly a proud milestone for me.

Mr Colchester also mentioned Chernobyl. Eye of the Storm along with the entire God Among Us 2 was released in February 2019, three months before the Chernobyl mini-series detailing that tragic real life nuclear disaster.

Even though Eve Myles isn't here as Gwen, I saw her in the season 2 opener of her series Keeping Faith and it played a song which coincidentally included the words "eye of the storm."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:48 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: A Mother's Son:
A Mother's Son is the first episode of Part 3 of God Among Us.
I was surprise to find the said mother Bethan Foster was played by Mina Anwar who had played Rani's own mother Gita Chandra in The Sarah Jane Adventures.
Her performance as Bethan is in sharp contrast as Gita and magnificent at it.
Written by Alexandra Riley who also plays Ng but curiously did not write herself as Ng in this episode.
This comes in the aftermath of the previous episode Eye of the Storm as Bethan is a mother whose son became missing because of it.
This is Bethan's story as she dominates it with limited appearances by some of the Torchwood characters.
This in the midst of an inquiry on recent events.
Water became the key aspect in all this and on second listen the first indication of this was when Yvonne at the inquiry refused water.
Then later on God said it explicitly about something in the water.
Absolutely enthralling on hearing the pouring of water as its significance is revealed.
Among the witnesses at the inquiry was a submarine captain.
At the same time in listening to this I saw
A Series of Unfortunate Events 3.3 Grim Grotto: Part 1 which coincidentally featured a submarine.

A Mother's Son is truly a mesmerizing episode thanks to Mina Anwar as a frantic mother looking for her son.

All this culminates with a choice that has been left ambiguous at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:48 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Cardiff Unknown:

Cardiff Unknown is a Big Finish podcast set within the world of Torchwood and released in October 2018 as a tie-in to God Among Us and can be listened here:

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Cardiff_ ... udio_story)

The hosts of Cardiff Unknown, Jeff and Niamh who presents a programme of events relating to Torchwood.

They interview Brent Hayden who is featured in the second God Among Us episode as The Man Who Destroyed Torchwood (well he tried to be).

One case they investigated is Flight 405 before the episode about it by that name.

Gareth Thomas is referenced undoubtedly an in-joke of him appearing in Ghost Machine playing Ed Morgan.

Jeff and Niamh would later turn up in a full fledged episode ScrapeJane, the subject of which they investigate in this podcast.

Very fun way to promote God Among Us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:18 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: ScrapeJane:
Antepenultimate episode of season 6.
Written by Robin Bell who sadly died a month before the release of his episode along with the rest of God Among Us 3 and it is dedicated to his memory.
It starts off with a podcast of Cardiff Unknown hosted by Jeff and Niamh and both had earlier featured in a Big Finish podcast set within the world of Torchwood released to promote God Among Us.
Back then they talked about the secretive nature of Torchwood and ScrapeJane comes in the aftermath of Torchwood being revealed to the public and Jeff and Niamh are gloating about this.
ScrapeJane was a subject that Jeff and Niamh had brought up in that earlier podcast and ScrapeJane the episode picks up on this as the duo gets what they asked for from ScrapeJane.
ScrapeJane is an imaginary monster but becomes more real the more one talks about it.
This case is investigated by Ng and Colchester with fleeting appearances from the other Torchwood regulars but no Jack, Yvonne and Andy at all.
Fascinating case when one has to fight a monster that isn't real and pretty well how the resolution was delivered.

ScrapeJane tells the impact of stories and this made think of the Eleventh Doctor saying we are all stories in the end in The Big Bang.

Whilst still on the subject of the Eleventh Doctor, ScrapeJane is the opposite to him.
Whereas ScrapeJane was an imaginary monster, the Eleventh Doctor is Amy's imaginary friend and write this in December 2019 near the tenth anniversary of the Eleventh Doctor.

ScrapeJane is a well done effort from the late Robin Bell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Day Zero:
Penultimate episode of season 6.
Written by Tim Foley.
The said day is when Cardiff has run out of water but Orr has become the unexpected source of fresh water.
Horrifying but also fascinating of Day Zero of presenting humanity at its worst when wanting to have water.
Jack tells Yvonne that she is not on his Christmas list. Coincidentally listened to this twice on Christmas 2019 and these days NuWho is lacking Christmas Specials.
Amusing when Ng says about the big guns...literally.
Stunning revelation that it was Tyler who brought Colchester back from the dead.
Enthralling when God got surrounded, Yvonne being taken and shocking what happens to Jack, has the unthinkable happen to him all this as God Among Us is about to reach its end.

Reading on TARDIS Wiki I was surprised when it stated Sgt Andy as the Main Enemy.
Sure this presented him in an antagonistic but didn't think this qualify him as being the enemy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:01 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

God Among Us: Thoughts and Prayers:

Season 6 finale.

Written by James Goss.

Enthralling situation as the world is literally coming to an end.

Eerie the emotions that Orr has here especially with the feelings of love.

Andy kills Jack. Didn't feel that happening.

What a revelation that Andy had been working for Jack all along and that he was his inside man on the Committee.

Interesting when a Stargate, Andy's description, turned up.

With the character called God here, it was amusing when Ng says that God works in but got interrupted by Mr Colchester.

Quite a climax with Yvonne and Orr sending the Committee back to their homeworld of Erebus.

For a moment it was thought that Yvonne was making a self-sacrifice and coincidentally a Flash made a sacrifice in The Flash 6.9 Crisis On Infinite Earths Part Three.

However Yvonne and Orr were saved at the last moment by Jack.

Pretty good how this got wrapped up with God now an ordinary person having given up her powers to Orr.

The season ends with a conversation between Andy and Yvonne and I knew where that conversation was heading.

Wonder whether this will be the chronological end to Torchwood with the team being forced to flee as they get the blame for what has happened or would there be a season 7.

At the same time in listening to this I listened to Doctor Who: Doom Coalition 1: The Red Lady which introduced new companion Helen Sinclair who made the same kind of decision that Torchwood made in Thoughts and Prayers due to similar circumstances.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]