It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Class Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:01 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

As the first two episodes have landed on BBC iPlayer I thought it would be worth have a discussion thread. What do people think so far?

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:46 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Just finished the first episode.

It's striving for a Buffy feel, yet bringing something very British and Doctor Whoish with it.
The comment about failing the Beckdel test hints at a level of humoI hope they maintain.

The characters are interesting and nicely individualised (with the exception of the eastern European? guy).

There is a slight coldness to it, but that seems deliberate. This is not going to be a barrel of laughs. This is going to attempt to go to some dark places. How that will sit with monster of the week I don't know. If they get the balance right this could be brilliant.

Good idea for a monster, although the concept hardly original. And it was a lot more gory than I expected. This isn't a CBBC show on this evidence.

Katherine Kelly's character is interesting, and I would prefer her in the TARDIS. Not too sure about the prince.

Of course as a first episode, with all introductions, and a handy sorting out of trouble by the Doctor, its hard to see how it will gel in normal episodes. Are they all going to be 50 minutes.

. As to the Doctor, yeah. Seeing new Doctor (and TARDIS) scenes on a Saturday night in 2016. And hearing that music again, almost made me wonder if it was 10 that did the original rescue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:54 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

For Tonight We Might Die:
Series opener.
Thrilling teaser and initially I thought it was a flashforward only to be proven otherwise.
Interesting Charlie and Miss Quill are both aliens from the same planet. Interestingly enough the actors who played Charlie and Miss Quill respectively Greg Austin and Katherine Kelly were both regulars on Mr Selfridge prior to Class.
It is a prom that April certainly would not forget.
What a tragedy about Ram’s date.
Pretty good cameo by Peter Capaldi as the Doctor as it is explained that he got Charlie and Miss Quill to Earth and him making their arrangements at Coal Hill.
Even though the cameo was late and brief, the Doctor sure provided a good launch for Class which is off to a very good start with this opening episode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:11 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Second episode. Kudos for looking at the emotional fallout of last episode. Gore content continues, and a nice misdirection in relation to the alien motivation and the "real" monster.

Also an introduction of a continuing storyline.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:33 pm 

How long is this series? After two episodes they've already lost two students, a cleaner, the head teacher and two PE teachers. At this rate the school will be empty by half-term.

I was expecting it to be terrible, but it was nowhere near that bad. I wouldn't say it was good, but it is watchable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:45 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

My feelings on it are decidedly mixed. There are definitely some high points. Patrick Ness' writing is sharp, there are some interesting ongoing mysteries established,
Spoiler:
Given the chess set might the governors be Lovecraftian old ones like Fenric?

Mrs. Quill is good and they are willing to go to some very adult places.

However, sometimes the direction and the acting can be a bit mixed and there are plenty of things I don't want on television in general but particularly in the Whoniverse (e.g. introducing a girlfriend for 5 minutes just so they can be murdered and a main character have angst, the random almost sex moment with a robot, the killing of people who have been dealt a bad hand by our "heroes").

In a lot of ways this reminds me of the Virgin New Adventures. Sometimes it explores interesting adult themes, other times it is doing cheap tricks for the sake of being "grown-up" when really it is just juvenile. In fact the first episode could easily have been a VNA novel (although obviously with 7 not 12, he would have planned to lead the shadow creatures there to get rid of them and Mrs Quill would be Benny as a history teacher) with the mix of 80% horrible things happening to new characters with dark secrets then The Doctor suddenly turning up to save the day.

I am finding the arc stuff more interesting than the monsters of the week which will hopefully mean I'll like it more as things go forward.

DeepGoat wrote:
I was expecting it to be terrible, but it was nowhere near that bad. I wouldn't say it was good, but it is watchable.

And that's the thing. It feels to me like it could just be another mid-level teen supernatural series we have gotten on BBC 3\E4\ITV2 over the last few years. Not as good as In The Flesh, The Fades, Hex, Wolfblood or Misfits but not as bad as Demons, Atlantis or Spooks Code 9 either. Maybe put it somewhere around the level of Bedlam or Switch.

If it wasn't for Doctor Who I would still watch it but I am not sure I would care so much.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

It does seem to be treading a line between The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood. As long as it can avoid the Torchwood excesses when trying to be adult I will be happy.

The likening to the New Adventures is interesting. The things you mentioned are some of the reasons I gave up on them in the end. What I would say though is that there it was meant to be the continuing adventures of the Doctor, here it's not. So while set in the same universe, it can, and should have its own tone.

In relation to the Governors, anyone worried about Ian Chesterton? He was a Governor in the old building. I take it the current Governors are behind the move to Academy status and the new building, and are the ones pushing the science angle. You can't help but wonder what happened to make that happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:39 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Coach With The Dragon Tattoo:
The title is obviously a play on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
The said dragon sure looked terrifying.
Funny the part with Miss Quill and what turned out to be a robot.
Also funny when Tanya asked the coach whether he was really a teacher. I wonder if any students in the real world would dare to ask that same question to their coaches.
Oh poor Mr Armitage. After appearing in three Doctor Who episodes and popping up in Class in the opening episode For Tonight We Might Die he gets killed off here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Tour of Coal Hill - Class: Behind The Scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBasyqb7XKk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:06 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Jordan tours backstage – Class: Behind The Scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfsmQKrP1_Q

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:05 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Nicely creepy. More like this please.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:44 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Big Questions: Crotch grab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_ccNoX4PM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:31 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Caught up with it this weekend. Quite surprised by the lukewarm reactions here, I'm really enjoying it. It's more adult than I expected, but not ham-fistedly like Torchwood. It's well acted, well written and the direction has been sound so far. The first two were great, my only niggle with the third episode was the slightly pat ending, but overall I really like it.

OK, comparisons to Buffy etc. are valid, but the characters actually reference that in the first two episodes which largely ameliorates that criticism; the producers know they can't escape the similarities so embrace them instead. I'm going to be looking forward to Class every week if they keep this standard up.

Don't like the opening credits theme tune though. But than at 43 I don't think it's aimed at me!

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I've seen the first two and quite like it. as Tao says it is unexpectedly adult, I was expecting somewhere just north of the SJA. Like how the group dynamic works, the dialogue is pretty slick and Ms Quill is just a joy.

I would say the main difference to Buffy would be that with buffy they had a superhuman (Neither quill or the prince seem to actually be excessively strong) and knew more about what was going on (Giles etc) where as this lot seem nearly completely in the dark and powerless.

It may be low expectations but I really am rather enjoying this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:38 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Nightvisiting:
Funny when Miss Quill was reading the Hunger Games and asking herself whether the events in the book really happened.
Absolutely scary the alien that turns up here.
Quite moving moments between Tanya and the alien posing as her father as well as April telling Ram of her life story.
Playing Tanya’s father Jasper and the alien posing as him was Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. After the broadcast of this episode Patrick Ness noted on twitter that Holdbrook-Smith had also been seen in Doctor Strange as the title character’s physical therapist and Doctor Strange was released in concurrence to Nightvisiting’s broadcast.
I myself had seen Doctor Strange the day before seeing Nightvisiting but did not realise it was one and the same person until noted by Ness.
Quite interesting Miss Quill meeting the alien posing as her sister and funny when the former says that the memory of the latter is being disgraced for being nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Greg’s most challenging scene – Class: The Big Questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq3ccCkRvbE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Well, that was another good episode in my book. Really enjoying this, I can't really find anything bad to say about it. Killer flowers, rifts in space, scimitars appearing in hands; what's not to like?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 pm 
Demi-goddess

I wasn't so keen on the third episode, but by crikey, the fourth episode made up for it. Can't wait for next week. Although the Buffy comparisons are near inescapable (and as others have said, acknowledged front and centre) it most reminds me of sci-fi Skins. If all you saw of Skins was the ads and press reaction, that might sound like a negative, but it really, really isn't. I like that being on BBC Three means they can acknowledge the sex lives of teenagers, and deal with some of the messier aspects of that period of our lives. I like that parents are peripheral, but crucial members of their support networks. While they don't have the level of freedom of C4 (see also Misfits) that extra bit of creative leeway makes a big difference in setting it apart from SJA and Doctor Who. Thank feck it's more mature than Torchwood, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:44 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Torchwood was mature in the same way so many mature comics mess up (i.e. "Mature means sex guts and swearing right?")

I really liked how the flowers built up over the episode. at first it seemed like a bit of artistic flare but took on a remarkably sinister turn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:26 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I'm finding it all a bit dull and hard work to watch.

I like the snarkiness of Miss Quill but other than that its a huge sack of 'meh' for me. I've never given up on anything Who related before....and I remember Time Flight and saw all of Miracle day....but I might have to give up on this. There's not enough time in the week for me to watch everything I want to see as it is.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:30 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart:
Part 1 of a two parter.
When the crack was mentioned it made me think of the one during the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who.
The new headmaster Dorothea Ames is played by Pooky Quesnel and she had previously appeared in parent Doctor Who in A Christmas Carol playing Captain.
Headmaster Ames said that no one under the age of 35 is called John anymore. When I asked this elsewhere someone said that while this is not absolutely true the name John is rare these days.
April’s father being freed from prison has exacerbate the situation in this story.
April sure showed her rage and what a shock when April put her hand inside her mother.
For this scene of her showing her rage this undoubtedly represented Sophie Hopkins’ best performance as April and in addition to her use of the scimitar.
A brilliant cliffhanger of April going through the crack followed by Ram.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:20 pm 
Demi-goddess

Brave-ish Heart was a really strong story spoiled by OMIGOD SO MUCH SPEECHIFYING. We were willing the story on so hard, like we were pushing it up a really steep hill. Giving the "You're amazing, you can do this" speech to April's asshole dad was just the worst decision. As was having him call April's mum "babe" and be the one able to conjure up strong pure images of her love for April. For serious, that guy needs to sit in a fucking corner and shut up. Ram's dad, on the other hand, is becoming more and more my fave with every episode. I'm going to call the "Your kid's a bad influence on my kid" scrap with asshole dad a momentary aberration. Tanja is a constant joy. I love her.

And hey, if they'd cut out the speeches they might have been able to actually explain WTF was going on with April, the Shadow King, her mum and that whole thing. Because Mr M and I both watched the episode, even replayed some relevant bits and still neither of us is entirely sure what the deal was. We're neither of us viewers who need to be spoonfed, but the closest we can come is: When she healed her mum it somehow? connected all three of them, even though it only appeared to connect April and her mum until the end of the episode when the Shadow King broke the connection, which didn't undo the healing because... something? and April lost her ...powers?... over the Shadowkin that until that point we'd been told she earned through combat, but apparently was really because of the stronger connection when she healed her mum? because... reasons? even though her heart is still shared with the ShadowKing? No clue, honestly. My head hurt just typing that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:00 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

It's called the big reset button - the writers going,
" bleeping hell, we have just given April the Dunharrow army, we need to do a Peter Jackson and get rid of it quickly, otherwise it will take out all opposition in its path week in, week out"

In fact with the Group reference, and the landscape looking like Mordor, that reference is reference is probably quite apposite.

Liked to have seen where this would have went with Quill if April had remained at the head of that army.

The bodies in the petals were truly gruesome and horrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Yeah, weakest episode so far for me. The story was rather muddled and nonsensical at times, and the direction was off. I mean, every time April was about to cross a gap or go down a cave she'd lift her scimitars up as if going into battle, which is both cheesy and daft. And I always hate it when someone goes into a "you can be better than this" type speech and all the bad guys just wait around politely for them all to finish.

Could have been a great episode with a few tweaks, but it felt a bit half-arsed in it's execution. I hope it gets back up to speed next week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:56 am 
Demi-goddess

Tao wrote:
And I always hate it when someone goes into a "you can be better than this" type speech and all the bad guys just wait around politely for them all to finish.

:lol: Yeah, we were doing impressions of the ShadowKing nonchalantly whistling and wandering off while the speechiness was going on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:21 pm 

This episode didn't work for me either, which is a shame because I thought last week's was really good.

I keep wondering if the programme is trying to be educational or something. A couple of weeks ago there was the weird discussion of folk music at the bus stop, this time they paused to discuss Ram's Sikh equipment. Unless they are building up to something very strange later in the series, these bits just seem totally random.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Brave-ish Heart:
Conclusion to Co-Owner of a Lonely Heart.
Good conclusion but does not excel from the previous episode.
Ram references Frodo from Lord of the Rings and he was played in the Peter Jackson movies by Elijah Wood and these days he is in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency which began recently on October 22 which is coincidentally the same day Class started.
Creepy the deadliness of the petals.
Funny Quill smashing a car only for Dorothea Ames to tell Quill that it isn’t her car!
April’s dad does not seem as bad as before due to him showing concern for her but April is not willing to let him back into her life. Whether she does so one day is up to her.
Inspiring April telling her mother to take one step and see where the next one leads to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:12 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Wasn't entirely sold on this week's episode, it was an interesting concept and well done, but for me it seemed more about setting up storylines for the rest of the season. Not bad as such, and maybe necessary, but I'm looking forward to next week's a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Detained:
Antepenultimate episode of the series/season.
The kids are placed in detention by Miss Quill.
This is essentially a bottle episode in which most of it takes place in detention.
Fascinating episode in which meteor crashed into detention which results in them telling hard truths.
Compelling stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Well, that was a cracking episode, brilliantly done from start to finish, I thought. Can't believe there's only one more to go next week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

That it was. And also some of the best alien looking alien worlds I have seen in the whoniverse. Even if they were metaphysical.

And that typifies a slight annoyance I have with this series. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying it. When it's allowed to be itself, its good. However trying to force it into the Buffyesque mould, it doesn't really fit. It's got elements you want to follow to its logical conclusion, and seeing where the journey takes us. Being stuck in Coal Hill, with a limited run of 8 weeks, where there has only been 2 truly totally standalone monster of the week episodes, the format is fighting the storyline.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next