Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Torchwood season 5 Aliens Among Us Part 1 trailer:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchw ... ion-offers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Changes Everything:
Aliens Among Us produced by Big Finish has been promoted as the fifth season of Torchwood following on from events of the fourth season Miracle Day.
Aliens Among Us begins with Changes Everything and it is an inversion in name of Everything Changes the series opener.
Coincidentally I saw the Guardians of the Galaxy (animated) episode which also words Changes Everything in it only with the word Money in front of it and hence it is called Money Changes Everything.
The Guardians of the Galaxy episode is written by Javier Grillo-Marxuach who incidentally had created the short-lived Torchwood-like series The Middleman (2008).
After listening to Changes Everything I found out that it also takes place after five post-Miracle Day Big Finish stories none of which I had listened to.
Changes Everything introduced new principal characters in Mr Colchester, Ng and Tyler Steele.
John Barrowman comes in late as Captain Jack.
Changes Everything is a solid way to begin Aliens Among Us including how the villain Ms Vorsun got presented in a very insane way and how Jack dealt with her and Jack explaining to Tyler what Cardiff means to him now.
Certainly came to a surprise to me by the last thing that Ng says in this episode and intriguing what Tyler gets up to at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Aliens & Sex & Chips & Gravy:
Second episode.
This episode mostly features new characters of Ng and Mr Colchester (ie if one could called the former a new character) with Jack making a brief appearance here.
With the episode starting off at a hen party it led to the appropriate reference to what happened to Gwen in Something Borrowed.
Quite gory by what happened at the hen party.
Not bad how things progressed after the hen party and funny when Madrigal called Mr Colchester the driver.
Quite a shocker that ended this episode.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Orr:
Third episode.
Orr is the name of a shapeshifter.
This episode takes place in the aftermath of Gwen’s mother Mary’s death and she and Rhys attends her funeral.
This episode includes a passport having been found. Coincidentally I recently saw Elementary 6.18 The Visions of Norman P. Horowitz which also had passport being found during the course of the episode.
Orr is not only a shapeshifter but also a time bomb as well and quite a climax when attempts are made to defuse this bomb.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Superiority Complex:
Fourth episode.
Written by AK Benedict.
The previous episode Orr introduce the episode title character and in this episode she becomes part of the team with her debut case being a hotel with aliens as guests and humans as servants.
The premise here reminded me of Skypoint, a Torchwood novel in which the title refers to a building which like the hotel in Superiority Complex, is very unusual.
Quite horrifying of what has happened in the hotel in Superiority Complex but makes for a superb episode for Orr in her debut case for Torchwood especially how she was key in the episode’s resolution.
Very fascinating on Ro-Jedda as she makes a power grab and at the expense of a very hapless mayor.
She sure meant it literally to the mayor about removing him as opposed to the mayor’s interpretation of being removed from office.

Superiority Complex marks the end of the first volume of Aliens Among Us and the trailer for Volume 2 was enthralling especially who turned up at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:17 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Love Rat:
Fifth episode.
Written by Christopher Cooper.
Love Rat is the first episode in Part 2 of Aliens Among Us.
With the way it began and the episode title made me think of the season 1 episode Day One but it wasn’t quite like that.
Should not have been surprised that Love Rat was quite literal it relates to rats and it results in passions going out of control.
Not bad on how this premise was carried out.
Quite a horrifying transformation that Orr goes through.
There is a certain moment between Jack and Gwen that many Torchwood fans had been waiting for but not in the way they were expecting.

The Love Rat is a parasite and coincidentally the recent Star Trek: Discovery 2.4 An Obol for Charon also dealt with a parasite.

I listened to Love Rat on February 11 2019 and then re-listened to it on February 14 Valentine’s Day.
Love Rat as a title is virtually the kind of the opposite of what Valentine’s Day stands for.

There is also coincidence with rats as I saw them visually recently in Siren 2.3 Natural Order and the movie A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: A Kill to a View:
Sixth episode.
Written by Mac Rogers.
This episode marked Murray Melvin’s return as Bilis Manger.
Having been such a menacing presence when he last appeared in the last two episodes of season 1 I am surprised that it took this long for Melvin to make his return as Bilis.
A Kill to a View is inverse in name to the James Bond movie A View to a Kill.
Writing this on February 22 2019, I listened to A Kill to a View on February 18 and then again three days later on February 21, 9GEM here in Australia will coincidentally be rerunning A View to a Kill within the next few days.
This time around Bilis invades Colchester’s domestic life. Really makes me appreciate the Ninth Doctor when he says that he doesn’t do domestic.
It is set at a location that Torchwood fans had been before that is associated with Bilis.
As well as Melvin’s marvellous return as the sinister Bilis, the episode is served well by his accomplices Sandra and Andrea this time around.
What a deception that Sandra and Andrea pulled in getting themselves into Colchester’s residence.
The way Melvin as Bilis makes his denouement in this episode makes his return well worth the wait.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Zero Hour:
Seventh episode.
Written by Janine H. Jones.
With Aliens Among Us being promoted as the fifth season of Torchwood, this makes Zero Hour as the first regular episode in which John Barrowman is absent as Captain Jack.
Jack’s absence being explained with Gwen wanting to avoid him after what happened between the two of them in Love Rat, two episodes ago.
Guest stars Sacha Dhawan. Dhawan had played first Doctor Who director Waris Hussein in An Adventure in Space and Time.
Here he plays Hasan, Tyler’s love interest.
With Zero Hour being a Whoniverse episode, fellow sci fi universes Star Trek and Stargate had their own Zero Hours as episodes of Enterprise and SG-1 respectively. Incidentally these two identically named episodes came two months apart in 2004 with the Enterprise episode showing first.
As a result of Hasan, Tyler investigates Deliverables, a new delivery company set up by Ro-Jedda.
As part of Aliens Among Us Part 2, Zero Hour was released on October 19 2017 and over a year later came Doctor Who: Kerblam! on November 18 2018 and it dealt with a similar premise as Kerblam! is also a delivery company and both set at the companies’ respective warehouses.
Just as Tyler got a job at Deliverables in order to investigate it, the Doctor and her friends did the same when they investigated Kerblam.
Deliverables employees carry apps telling them their work progress and when they can have breaks in order. This is in order to maintain efficiency in the workplace.
At the same time I listened to Zero Hour, I saw The Lucy Show 5.13 Lucy and Phil Silvers in which Silvers coincidentally played an efficiency expert at a workplace.
Zero Hour presents how termination of employment is performed and it quite like the one that was revealed in Doctor Who: Time Heist.
Zero Hour is mostly Tyler’s episode and Jonny Green as Tyler did very well in carrying this episode and it was terrifying what Ro-Jedda did when Tyler confronted her in her office.
While this is mostly Tyler’s episode, Gwen had her moments too.
Here Gwen has a little break with Rhys and has her taking care of Anwen who is having tantrums and it was so cute to hear Anwen crying.
Definitely had an appreciation for Gwen with what she is going through when Orr pop by to give Gwen wine and a bag of crisps.
However the best moment Gwen had here was when she had to use a very big gun!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: The Empty Hand:
Eighth episode.
Written by Tim Foley.
The Empty Hand is the final episode of Part 2 of Aliens Among Us.
As far as regular seasons goes, this episode finally has Sgt Andy at the centre of attention.
What a beginning with Sgt Andy waking up in an interview room and being told by a PC Nikki Owen that he had killed a refugee, a killing that he has no memory of committing.
PC Owen has been played aptly well by Sarah Annis as performed well in the proceedings of episode.
The episode title is literally and it is a reference to Andy’s hand and its part in the narrative of all this.
Fascinating episode which plays very well of Andy being the focus of all this.
There is however one horrifying moment when Andy talked to a takeaway man and in front of reporters.
Mayor Ro-Jedda announced to the public that she had accepted the resignation of the Police Commissioner. It took me a second listen to realise how she accepted this “resignation”!
For the second episode in a row, Gwen got to use her gun in a spectacular fashion.
Equally spectacular is the cliffhanger at the end one that I did not feel coming that way.

Listened to this on March 5 2019 and again two days later on March 7. In between those two days I saw Captain Marvel and found things in common with The Empty Hand.
Both touched upon the subject of refugees and The Empty Hand presented a character called Professor White who is more or less like Dr Lawson played by Annette Bening in Captain Marvel.
The subject of refugees also came up in the recent Secret City season 2 opener Under The Eagle: Run Little Rabbit Run.

Another coincidence is that I saw The Invisible Man (2000) 1.18 Perchance To Dream which had Claire (Shannon Kenny) being programmed to kill someone just as Andy was to that refugee.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:01 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Poker Face:
Ninth episode.
This is the first episode of Aliens Among Us Part 3.
Written by Tim Foley.
Poker Face picks up from the cliffhanger of the previous episode The Empty Hand with the return of Yvonne Hartman.
As titles The Empty Hand & Poker Face are analogy to card games.
Tracy-Ann Oberman reprises Yvonne Hartman, the head of Torchwood One in Doctor Who: Army of Ghosts/Doomsday but was not in the Torchwood series itself during its first four seasons and Big Finish rectified with her appearing in narratives under the Torchwood banner prior to Poker Face.
However I hadn’t got the opportunity to listen to Yvonne Hartman in her pre-Poker Face Big Finish appearances and Poker Face is the first time I got to hear her in an episode under the Torchwood banner which is attributed to Aliens Among Us being promoted as the fifth season of Torchwood.
Despite her apparent demise in Doomsday, Poker Face provides a good reason why she happens to be alive here.
Despite being heads of their respective branches of Torchwood, Jack and Yvonne haven’t encountered each other in the first four seasons.
Hearing them together in Poker Face they have presented a very delicious rivalry.
Yvonne as a prisoner at Torchwood presented a well delivered manipulation beginning with her holding captive an operative of Red Doors and things escalated when the Hub suddenly had to go into lockdown and this entire situation goes wrong for Jack.
Having listened to this twice, the moment went wrong for Jack when his team disobeyed his orders in talking to Yvonne.
This ultimately leads to an action against Jack that is akin to one he experienced before in the season 1 finale End of Days.
A truly enthralling start to Part 3 of Aliens Among Us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:36 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Tagged:
Antepenultimate episode.
Written by Joseph Lidster.
With Aliens Among Us being the fifth season of Torchwood, Lidster became the only writer this season to have written for Torchwood during its first four seasons as he wrote A Day in the Death from season 2.
This has Yvonne in charge of Torchwood after ousting Jack in the previous episode Poker Face.
Jack only appears at the end because as Gwen says here he was licking his wounds.
Tagged refers to hashtags and how a character called Serena used it to get rid of someone who done something horrendous to her.
Incidentally my favourite hashtag is #MatthewSeeLovesKarenGillan
Horrifying moment when Ng presented his true nature and what Orr does to flush out the Internet trolls.
The premise of this episode is certainly fascinating but to be honest this did not gel well with me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Escape Room:
Penultimate episode of season 5.
Written by Helen Goldwyn who is also an actor for Big Finish but not for this episode.
Second episode this season in which Jack is completely absent.
Ng, Rhys, Colchester and Colin get themselves in an escape room but soon found their lives in danger because of the villain of the piece named Escape.
Coincidentally not so long ago I saw a movie also called Escape Room (2019) dealing with the same premise which was released in January 2019 almost a year after Torchwood’s Escape Room was released as part of Aliens Among Us Part 3 in February 2018.
Therefore I had an idea what to expect from Torchwood’s Escape Room.
In another coincidence a real-life escape room themed on Doctor Who got launched recently.
Escape is played by Terrence Hardiman.
Coincidentally I have been seeing Hardiman as The Demon Headmaster and he sure delivered the same kind of menace.
Well handled the dangers that had been played out in the Escape Room.
Escape is very good in taunting Ng, Rhys, Colchester and Colin throughout this episode and Ng got her own back at Escape in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:34 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Aliens Among Us: Herald of the Dawn:
Season 5 finale.
Written by James Goss.
Listened to this twice on March 31 2019 and given the episode title I appropriately listen to this for the first time just prior to dawn.
What an explosive start with the terrorist attack at the airport.
Neat that Yvonne mentioned Kate and UNIT.
Excitement sure ensued when an assassin sent by Ro-Jedda followed Tyler to the Hub.
Interesting meeting between Yvonne and Mayor Ro-Jedda.
Finally the resolution about Gwen and Ng with Gwen deciding afterwards to leave Torchwood.
In between my said two listenings of Herald of the Dawn, I saw The Blacklist 6.12 Bastien Moreau: Conclusion which presented a somewhat similar goodbye from Agent Navabi from the task force.
Quite emotional goodbye from Gwen and Eve Myles delivered it beautifully.
Soon found out that this goodbye was written by Gwen and Torchwood’s creator Russell T. Davies.
Quite a cliffhanger leading to the next season God Among Us.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]