PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:00 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot Deleted Scenes:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/10/fi ... 20715.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

In the Planet of the Daleks DVD Special Feature The Rumble In The Jungle, Tim Preece (Codal) said the prior to Planet of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks director David Maloney had previously directed him on Ivanhoe.
This is contrary to what Preece said in the commentary when he said that Maloney had subsequent to this story had directed him in Robin Hood.
Looking up on IMDb, Maloney never did a Robin Hood but did do an Ivanhoe series which Preece was in.
Presumably The Rumble In The Jungle was recorded after the said commentary and in the intervening time Preece either remembered correctly or was corrected upon that Maloney had directed him in Ivanhoe not Robin Hood and it was before and not after Planet of the Daleks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

To Australian viewers:
Conquest of Space: Sci-Fi & Art:
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/conque ... 347H001S00

Doctor Who got represented here with a clip shown from Pyramids of Mars as narrator Andrew Frost recalled watching Fourth Doctor Tom Baker and hiding behind the sofa.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Confidential: The Nights' Tale:
In The Nights’ Tale which includes looking at the making of Space & Time and the DVD subtitles has a subtitle for Director without identifying his name. This is despite the fact that director Richard Senior does speak for much of The Nights’ Tale and the caption has identified him as the director.
Richard Senior says that Space & Time is the first time that the TARDIS has been in the TARDIS. Senior is not exactly incorrect on the Doctor’s TARDIS being in the Doctor’s TARDIS as the previous times that a TARDIS has been in a TARDIS were in the season 9 closer The Time Monster & the season 18 closer Logopolis but in those previous occasions it was that of the Doctor’s TARDIS and the Master’s TARDIS being in each other.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:56 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

In Doctor Who: The Writer’s Tale, in an email from Russell T Davies to Benjamin Cook dated November 14 2008, Davies spitballed to Cook some story titles for the David Tennant swansong all of which he soon dismissed using.
This was still before Davies would come up with the eventual title The End of Time but it is interesting to reveal one of the potential titles that he mentioned to Cook and that was Death of the Doctor.
Davies would eventually use Death of the Doctor as a Sarah Jane Adventures story and which had featured Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

From an email from Russell T Davies to Benjamin Cook dated November 18 2008 about the shooting of the 456 in a tank for Torchwood: Children of Earth as published in Doctor Who: The Writer’s Tale:
“We focus on that creature for three whole episodes, and it’s so obscured by smoke that we’re all wondering if it’s going to work – a very uncertain feeling, creeping through the production team, while Peter Capaldi has to act with glass and smoke. (Which he’s doing brilliantly. The man is amazing.)”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

David Tennant talks about Doctor Who to Queen Latifah:
http://queenlatifah.com/videos?bctid=3895659502001

It’s amazing just to hear Doctor Who coming out of Queen Latifah’s mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:20 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

In The Lodger, the Eleventh Doctor introduced himself to the Avatar hologram as Captain Troy Handsome, taking the name of a Thunderbirds character from International Rescue.
Curiously enough when I typed in Captain Troy Handsome of International Rescue at Google Images, the immediate results were from the Doctor Who episode rather than from Thunderbirds, likewise with the web-based results under the same search parameters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Theta Sigma wrote:
In The Lodger, the Eleventh Doctor introduced himself to the Avatar hologram as Captain Troy Handsome, taking the name of a Thunderbirds character from International Rescue.
Curiously enough when I typed in Captain Troy Handsome of International Rescue at Google Images, the immediate results were from the Doctor Who episode rather than from Thunderbirds, likewise with the web-based results under the same search parameters.

I'm no expert in Gerry Anderson but I'm pretty sure there is no character called Captain Troy Handsome in Thunderbirds. The family are the Tracy's, who live on Tracy island.

There is a Captain Troy in Stingray though, another of Gerry's puppet series, most commonly remembered for the mute character Maria.

The handsome bit was probably a joke.

So that may explain your search results.

If you like your Anderson-Who trivia then you'll be pleased to know there are several nods to Gerry's work in new Who. From Indestructable Captain Harkness, the man who can't die - or rather does frequently but always come back to life (Captain Scarlett) to UNIT's "Cloudbase" (also Scarlett).

Gerry's son was also a huge Doctor Who fan, as revealed in the documentary "More than 30 years in the TARDIS". (And possibly the earlier 30 years version. But I've not seen it lately)

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:37 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Chris Chibnall, in his capacity as Gracepoint creator, tweeted a photo taken by Tenth Doctor and Gracepoint star David Tennant on the Gracepoint set and shows telephone messages from names that are familiar to Doctor Who fans:
https://twitter.com/ChrisChibnall/statu ... 36/photo/1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:06 am 

Theta Sigma wrote:

Troy Tempest is the character you are looking for, from Gerry Anderson's earlier Stingray. The astronauts from Thunderbirds are the Tracey Brothers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 am 

All the above information was of course provided by Perdide already. I need to read the pages from the bottom up in future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:40 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

mozz wrote:
Theta Sigma wrote:

Troy Tempest is the character you are looking for, from Gerry Anderson's earlier Stingray. The astronauts from Thunderbirds are the Tracey Brothers.

No I wasn't as I was not thinking about him at all.

My post came about after I read the following entry in Doctor Who - The Encyclopedia by Gary Russell:
"Captain Troy Handsome: The Doctor claimed to be this fictional character from International Rescue, based on the TV series Thunderbirds, when confronting the Avatar hologram created by the time engine on Aickman Road."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Terminus:
Read from the DVD info text that producer John Nathan-Turner got a tongue-in-cheek letter from Peter Osbourne, the Marketing Services Manager of Tannoy Ltd about the Tannoy credit in this story.
Osbourne says that while he has been assured by Tannoy’s future where the story is set, he stated that Tannoy is not a generic term but as a registered trademark of this company.
Terminus however was the not first story that had the Tannoy credit, at least under JNT’s watch, as I noticed recently that there was also such a credit in The Leisure Hive, which incidentally was JNT’s first story as producer.
It seems that the Tannoy credit for The Leisure Hive went unnoticed for Tannoy Ltd but the same credit was noticeable to Osbourne when Terminus came out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm 

Theta Sigma wrote:
mozz wrote:
Theta Sigma wrote:

No I wasn't as I was not thinking about him at all.

My post came about after I read the following entry in Doctor Who - The Encyclopedia by Gary Russell:
"Captain Troy Handsome: The Doctor claimed to be this fictional character from International Rescue, based on the TV series Thunderbirds, when confronting the Avatar hologram created by the time engine on Aickman Road."

Then why did you google it, if you already knew?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:44 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Matt Smith Interview on Top Gear in February 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doI8mhVErgs

Interesting story from him about meeting a young girl at his home, the explanation that was given of why the Cybermen are not scary and quite interesting what he was singing whilst driving that car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

If this was two years ago that would actually be news.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:07 pm 

it'll be new to some people. me for example :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Danger Mouse 6.8 The Hickory Dickory Dock Dilemma had Danger Mouse and Penfold finding themselves in a grandfather clock which turns out to be a time machine.
This led to the following dialogue:
Danger Mouse: Penfold, I don't think this is a clock at all. I think it's a time machine.

Penfold: Ehm DM?

Danger Mouse: Yes?

Penfold: I thought clocks were time machines?

Danger Mouse: No, not that sort of time machine, the sort that takes you through time.

Penfold: Oh, like that doctor, who... ehm, can't remember

The episode can be seen on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltP4MzdrZ88

The grandfather clock time machine may have been from memories of the Master’s grandfather clock TARDIS as seen in The Deadly Assassin & Keeper of Traken.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:49 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Ok that's not news that other media!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Theta Sigma wrote:
Danger Mouse 6.8 The Hickory Dickory Dock Dilemma had Danger Mouse and Penfold finding themselves in a grandfather clock which turns out to be a time machine.
This led to the following dialogue:
Danger Mouse: Penfold, I don't think this is a clock at all. I think it's a time machine.

Penfold: Ehm DM?

Danger Mouse: Yes?

Penfold: I thought clocks were time machines?

Danger Mouse: No, not that sort of time machine, the sort that takes you through time.

Penfold: Oh, like that doctor, who... ehm, can't remember

The episode can be seen on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltP4MzdrZ88

The grandfather clock time machine may have been from memories of the Master’s grandfather clock TARDIS as seen in The Deadly Assassin & Keeper of Traken.

There is a show on Cbeebies called Andy's Dinosaur adventures where a character travels in time in an grandfather clock. I keep shouting "Stop Andy, this is all part of some elabourate scheme of the Master"

It will be T-Rexes in London again, mark my words.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:07 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

It might be a good idea

In other news the BBC brought out a new sciences fiction programme on the 23rd November 1963 at 5:16 pm.
Its due to involve time travel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Doctor Who stories in the style of old Penguin Paperbacks:
http://doctorwhopenguin.tumblr.com/

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

This week TNT debut new series The Librarians and the reviews that I just glanced at included using Doctor Who as a description of the series with at least one person even going as far as describing The Librarians as TNT’s Doctor Who.

The Librarians is a sequel to three The Librarian TV movies with Noah Wyle playing the said Librarian. Wyle reprises his Librarian role for The Librarians series and Wyle himself is a Doctor Who fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

They're not kidding either. I've recorded these and watched the first the first few minutes of episode one.....VERY Doctor Who. Could even be written for Tennant or Smith and the pre-credits even concludes with a 'who are you?'...'I'm The Librarian' line. I half expected him to say 'I'm The Doctor'.

I'll give it a chance, though. Might be a god replacement for Warehouse 13.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:23 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

As published in The Writer’s Tale: The Final Chapter, an email from Russell T Davies to Benjamin Cook dated December 11 2008 was about the lead-up to the announcement that Matt Smith is to become the Eleventh Doctor and it was an escalating situation leading up to the announcement which Davies called a runaway train. It should be pointed out that at this stage Davies knew who the Eleventh Doctor was going to be whereas Cook did not.

Later on during Matt Smith’s debut year as the Eleventh Doctor in 2010 came the release of the audio exclusive Eleventh Doctor story called The Runaway Train and I can only wonder whether this was an in-joke to the escalation to the said announcement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:37 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

This is what I read from Andrew Beavin on the Whovians United facebook page:
“Last year in Doctor Who Magazine, Steven Moffat mentioned that he wanted to feature the Cushing movie posters in "The Day of the Doctor," but couldn't because they would have been too expensive for a throw away gag, and he stated his belief that the Cushing movies exist within the canonical universe, because after Ian and Barbara left the Tardis, they perhaps wrote a book or did a series of interviews about their adventures with the Doctor, which was then made into the Cushing movies, but all the differences are because of the conversion from page to screen, etc.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:43 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Theta Sigma wrote:
“Last year in Doctor Who Magazine, Steven Moffat mentioned that he wanted to feature the Cushing movie posters in "The Day of the Doctor," but couldn't because they would have been too expensive for a throw away gag, and he stated his belief that the Cushing movies exist within the canonical universe, because after Ian and Barbara left the Tardis, they perhaps wrote a book or did a series of interviews about their adventures with the Doctor, which was then made into the Cushing movies, but all the differences are because of the conversion from page to screen, etc.”

Makes sense. After all in Rememberance of the Daleks there is apparently a new Sci-Fi serial on BBC One called "Docto...". We never did hear the rest of the announcers words. It could have been "...r Who", it could have been "...r in Space!!!".

Canon. ;)

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Long-time Doctor Who fans were rather perplexed to see in The Day of the Doctor that among the pictures in the UNIT Black Archive was one of Sara Kingdom and Mike Yates as they never see them meet before and there was no way to comprehend how such a meeting took place.
Well this is what I read from Pawel Dembowski at the Big Finish Audio facebook page:
“Simon Guerrier (who wrote the Sara Kingdom trilogy [for Big Finish]) said that when he met Steven Moffat some time ago, he asked about the photo of Sara Kingdom and Mike Yates in the UNIT Black Archive. And Moffat said basically "Well, it's for you to write how it happened now!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Perdide wrote:
Theta Sigma wrote:

Makes sense. After all in Rememberance of the Daleks there is apparently a new Sci-Fi serial on BBC One called "Docto...". We never did hear the rest of the announcers words. It could have been "...r Who", it could have been "...r in Space!!!".

One problem with tying those together is that 'Remembrance' takes place before Ian & Barbara are returned in '65.
The other problem with Moffat's suggestion, had he actually done it, is he would have spent far more time over that than giving us a decent celebration of 50 years. Instead what we got is no gag and a half-arsed celebration.

Theta Sigma wrote:
Long-time Doctor Who fans were rather perplexed to see in The Day of the Doctor that among the pictures in the UNIT Black Archive was one of Sara Kingdom and Mike Yates as they never see them meet before and there was no way to comprehend how such a meeting took place. Well this is what I read from Pawel Dembowski at the Big Finish Audio facebook page:
“Simon Guerrier (who wrote the Sara Kingdom trilogy [for Big Finish]) said that when he met Steven Moffat some time ago, he asked about the photo of Sara Kingdom and Mike Yates in the UNIT Black Archive. And Moffat said basically "Well, it's for you to write how it happened now!"

Do we know if that photo was Moffat's idea or a set designer type? Mind you, I wasn't perplexed by it... I suspect it was Osgood who photo-shopped the image in the first place.
...or someone in Torchwood
...or someone from LINDA
...or that bloke in 'Rose'
Basically any number of people in the Universe who are obsessed with the Doctor.

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Who on Earth?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p02fdyq4

This was released for Day 17 of the 2014 Advent Calendar on the BBC Doctor Who website.

This is picture gallery of Doctor Who actors in other roles.
All but one of these pictures are non-Who related as they did a little cheat as I am pretty sure that one picture is of Freema Agyeman in Torchwood. Couldn’t they have used a non-Who related picture of her say for example Law and Order: UK.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 17   [ 519 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next