It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 24   [ 724 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Not Another Happy Ending starring my wife Karen Gillan podcast on Romcomathon:
podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-3-not-another-happy-ending/id1458905841?i=1000437488343

My favourite scene is briefly touched upon at the 25 minute mark and Doctor Who is briefly mentioned at the start.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:08 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Best of the Eleventh Doctor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjfZ1Zm ... PP2qZB1ZWo

With my wife Karen Gillan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:09 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

BBC News on the Doctor Who Lockdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F16GEOBfALU

Includes a clip of my wife Karen Gillan in The Eleventh Hour.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:06 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Started Back To Life featuring Jo Martin.

It was created and stars Daisy Haggard.

Also featuring Geraldine James and Souad Faress.

In the first episode Miri (Daisy Haggard) had her tits being complemented on.

Daisy Haggard had played Sophie in The Lodger & Closing Time both of which had my wife Karen Gillan as Amy.

My wife Karen brought up the subject of her own tits, which I have the pleasure, of sucking in Not Another Happy Ending.

Also in the first episode of Back To Life, Janice (Martin) says about being naked and afraid.

My wife Karen said the same thing in Selfie's own first episode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:23 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

April 3 2020 marked ten years since the original broadcast of The Eleventh Hour, Matt Smith's full debut as the Eleventh Doctor.

In the years since I first saw this, it has become of great value to me, as it is also my wife Karen Gillan's debut as companion Amy Pond and my wife Karen has become of great value to me.

However we do not see my wife Karen immediately as Amy.

Instead we first see Amy as a little girl Amelia played by my wife Karen's real life cousin Caitlin Blackwood.

In fact working on The Eleventh Hour marked the first time that the two cousins have ever met.

The Doctor meets Amelia when the TARDIS crash lands him in her garden.

Then in Amelia's kitchen, the Doctor tried out some food which he didn't like among them, an apple. Perhaps a joke about an apple keeping the doctor away.

The Doctor eventually found his favourite food with fish fingers and custard and the anniversary of Matt Smith's debut has become known as Fish Fingers and Custard Day.

A mystery then beckons with the crack in the wall which will become a running arc.

The crack in the wall has become iconic including in recent years as part of the logo of Whovians.

The Doctor then went away and promised Amelia that he would be back in five minutes.

He came back 12 years later and finds Amelia, now known as Amy, all grown up and as a kissogram in a police outfit.

Having been in a police outfit in The Eleventh Hour, my wife Karen later played cops in A Touch of Cloth and the movie Stuber (2019).

Matt Smith's first season as the Doctor also marked the first for Steven Moffat as showrunner.

Before Smith's casting there had been the possibility of David Tennant staying on for one more season.

Whether series 5 would have been with Tennant or Smith, Moffat always intended to introduce Amy this season.

This meant that Amy could have travelled with the Tenth Doctor.

My wife Karen, however had previously made her Doctor Who debut as the different character of the Soothsayer in The Fires of Pompeii, a Tennant episode.

Reuniting with the Doctor, Amy told him that because of him she saw four psychiatrists and she bit all of them.

They are at Leadworth, Amy's home village and we finally see other people.

First, I reluctantly mention Arthur Darvill's debut as Rory.

Guest stars includes Olivia Colman, Annette Crosbie and Tom Hopper.

Colman later reunited with Darvill in Broadchurch created by future Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall.

In Broadchurch, Colman plays a cop and her partner was played by David Tennant whom she narrowly missed in Doctor Who.

Colman can now be seen as Elizabeth II in The Crown season 3 where she narrowly missed reuniting with Matt Smith as he had played Prince Philip in the previous two seasons. This also meant that they narrowly missed becoming a couple.

Crosbie played Mrs Angelo and it was fun when she realises that she was seeing the Raggedy Doctor as Amelia had named him Raggedy Man as that was how he appeared to her in the Tenth Doctor's raggedy clothes.

Hopper played Mrs Angelo's grandson Jeff in his only appearance and I would had liked to have seen more of him.

Hopper's subsequent work included Black Sails. I am currently seeing Black Sails but hadn't realise that I was seeing the same person who had played Jeff.

Hopper's most recent work is The Umbrella Academy.

There are a couple of cameos by Arthur Cox and Sir Patrick Moore.

Cox plays Mr Henderson and had previously played Cully in the 1968 Patrick Troughton story The Dominators.

Coincidentally The Dominators was released on DVD three months after the broadcast of The Eleventh Hour in July and in the commentary for this Cox said that Troughton was the only Doctor that he had worked.

Evidently this commentary was recorded before Cox's cameo in The Eleventh Hour.

Sir Patrick Moore played himself and was previously mentioned by Rose in World War Three.

At Leadworth, the Doctor faces off Prisoner Zero and the Atraxi. This was resolved with the Atraxi recapturing their said prisoner thanks to the Doctor and the Doctor warning the Atraxi not to come back as he was Earth's protector.

In the midst of all this the Doctor found time to change clothes and Amy refused to look away when he was doing that.

My wife Karen would get the male payback in Not Another Happy Ending, her first post-Who work.

The Doctor again parts way with Amy but when he came back for her it was two years later.

14 years since fish fingers and custard.

The Doctor now wears a bow tie because he says bow ties are cool.

It has been noted the reason for the bow tie is that among the Tenth Doctor's clothes that he was wearing was a long tie.

With the long tie, Amy literally pulled him to her bidding and getting him stuck at Mr Henderson's car.

After a 14 year wait, Amy finally gets to travel with the Doctor and in her nightie!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Eleventh Hour tenth anniversary review:

doctorwhowatch.com/2020/04/03/doctor-who-eleventh-hour-ten-anniversary/

Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Matt Smith and my wife Karen Gillan during filming of The Eleventh Hour:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/The_Eleventh_Doctor_and_Amy_Pond.jpg

Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

April 10 2020 marked ten years since the original broadcast of The Beast Below.

Written by showrunner Steven Moffat who later admitted that it became his least favourite episode that he had written.

Moffat:

"…it was quite a mess…it was all over the place…”

One thing I did like about The Beast Below is the first scene after the title sequence in which Amy floats in space outside the TARDIS with her beautiful hair flowing upwards and the Doctor holding her leg.

After getting back in the TARDIS and realising what she got herself into, Amy says, "We are in space!"

The audio of Amy's We are in space statement would later be included Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, which is six episodes after my wife Karen Gillan's swansong as Amy in The Angels Take Manhattan.

The eventual series 5 DVD release included two Meanwhile In The TARDIS scenes, the first of which is set between The Eleventh Hour & The Beast Below which emphasises this new experience for Amy.

Pleasingly Amy spends the entirety of The Beast Below in her lovely nightie.

Guest stars of The Beast Below includes Sophie Okonedo and Terrence Hardiman.

Okonedo had played companion Alison Cheney in Scream of the Shalka alongside alternate Ninth Doctor played by Richard E. Grant.

Grant had earlier played Comic Relief Tenth Doctor.

When Okonedo turned up in The Beast Below she narrowly missed official Tenth Doctor David Tennant but way too late for official Ninth Doctor Chris Eccleston.

In The Beast Below she plays Liz 10, aka Queen Elizabeth X as this is set in the 33rd century.

Hardiman is well known as the Demon Headmaster, a role he recently reprised briefly in the 2019 sequel series.

The Doctor and Amy found themselves on Starship UK driven by a Star Whale believed to be the last of its kind. This brings to mind Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

This is Amy's first official trip as a companion and repeats the same way that Rose had in her first official trip in the TARDIS in The End of the World with an out of the world experience literally in space

A literal out of the world experience in space would later be repeated for Clara's debut TARDIS trip in The Rings of Akhaten.

Starship UK are inhabitants of the UK living in this starship all except the Scottish people who got their own starship.

Four years after The Beast Below, Scotland held an independence referendum but it was defeated.

Scotland is still part of the UK but the 33rd century is still a long time to come.

Amy's full name is revealed and its Amelia Jessica Pond.

Starship UK includes Magpie Electricals. Still in business since first seen in 1953 in 2006's The Idiot's Lantern.

Love it when Amy screamed when she and the Doctor fell below the starship where they got covered in goo.

The crux of the mystery is with the Star Whale not to mention that Liz 10 is older than she looks.

Brilliant that Amy figured that the Star Whale had driven the starship on its own volition and there was no need for it to be tortured.

Quite a passionate speech that Amy made as she made the comparison of the Star Whale being the last of its kind just like the Doctor is the last of his.

When the Doctor and Amy got back in the TARDIS they get a call from Winston Churchill and nearby a shadow of a Dalek nearby.

This leads into the next episode Victory of the Daleks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:47 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The start is my favourite bit of The Beast Below. So lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfJkns2Gklg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

From The Beast Below Wikipedia article:
“For the opening scene in which the Doctor holds Amy's ankle while she is suspended in space, Gillan was hoisted on wires above the TARDIS prop in front of a greenscreen while a wind machine created the effects of being in space.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Picture of my wife Karen Gillan in The Beast Below Wikipedia article:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... idmore.jpg

“The episode was intended to show the importance of the Doctor's companion Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:52 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The Best of the Twelfth Doctor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfG0QL ... cTCpf5FP-k

Includes a flashback of my wife Karen Gillan as Amy in a flashback in The Doctor Falls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:45 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Cold Mountain:

Released in 2003, Cold Mountain stars Nicole Kidman and Jude Law.

I decided to watch Cold Mountain as it was later parodied as Cold Sore Mountain in The Kevin Bishop Show with Karen Gillan playing the Kidman character.

Cold Mountain is set during the American Civil War in which Law plays a deserted Confederate soldier who goes home to reunite with the woman he loves (just like Karen is the woman I love).

Really did not find this enthralling and it's long length of 2 and a half hours certainly didn't help but it was pretty good in evoking the atmosphere of the American Civil War.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:33 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

April 17 2020 marks ten years since the original broadcast of Victory of the Daleks.
Written by Mark Gatiss and guest stars Ian McNeice as Winston Churchill.
Curiously Gatiss was later in the movie The Favourite (2018) in which he played John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, an ancestor of Winston's.
Victory of the Daleks marks the Eleventh Doctor's first encounter with the Daleks and he and Amy meets them during the Second World War in 1941 in London.
Also in 1941 London were the Ninth Doctor and Rose meeting Captain Jack Harkness in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances written by Steven Moffat and Moffat is showrunner of Victory of the Daleks.
In Victory of the Daleks, the Doctor and Amy meets wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill as a result of the latter's call at the end of the previous episode The Beast Below.
When they see the Daleks, the Doctor is shocked to learn that they are Churchill's weapons of war and they are called Ironsides and created by scientist Edwin Bracewell (Bill Paterson).
The Daleks being presented as a weapons for the Allies was an intentional irony as Terry Nation had created them as a science fiction version of Nazis.

These Daleks presents a parallel with the ones in the Second Doctor debut The Power of the Daleks.

In both cases the Daleks deceives the locals they are the force of good and the Doctor is determine to expose their true nature.

In The Power of the Daleks, the Daleks said, "I am your servant" while the ones in Victory says the similar, "I am your soldier."

In the Power DVD commentary, Nick Briggs revealed that when voicing the Daleks in Victory, Gatiss asked him to pause before saying soldier, in order to make people think that he was about to say servant, with it being a little joke.

In his warning about the Daleks, the Doctor asked Amy to tell them about the Dalek invasion of Earth in her time in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End but she has no memory of this, indicating the significance of the crack in the wall this season.

The Daleks' deception is revealed and not only that they also revealed that Bracewell is an android and is their creation.

These Daleks soon introduced a new kind of Daleks known as the Paradigm.

The Paradigm Daleks are bulky and each are in different bright colours.

Unsurprisingly due to the Daleks' concept of purity, the old Daleks are quickly exterminated by the Paradigms.

A fun moment with the Doctor's encounter with the Paradigms was with him threatening them with a Jammie Dodger as he tricked them in believing that it is a self destruct button.

Coincidentally just prior to writing this I saw Future Man Chapter 9: Operation: Fatal Attraction which presented a similar scenario with Josh (Josh Hutcherson) pretending a mobile phone was an explosive device.

Just as the Doctor had the chance to get rid of the Daleks once and for all, he was force to let them go when they activated a bomb ....in Bracewell, a bomb that could destroy Earth.

Ultimately the bomb was deactivated by the power of love, with Amy asking Bracewell if he fancy someone that he shouldn't, the kind of love that hurts but in a good way.

Bracewell says there is by the name of Dorabella.

Afterwards Bracewell assumed he would be deactivated because he is Dalek technology but after a lot of hints from the Doctor and Amy, Bracewell gets to run away to be with Dorabella.

Amy says that it was not too shabby that the Doctor had saved Earth.

A similar line with the word shabby in it would later be said, but not by my wife Karen Gillan, in Traumatic Party Stress Disorder, an episode of my wife Karen's short-lived series Selfie.

Despite an indication to the contrary, the Paradigm Daleks haven't returned to this day in a full story as they have proven unpopular with fans.

Despite their brief appearance in The Pandorica Opens, the Paradigms were nowhere to be seen in the next full Dalek episode Asylum of the Daleks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

From Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia -

Naturists:

"A nude couple driving on the New New York Motorway, encountered by the Doctor as he jumped from car to car." (Gridlock) [Played by Matthew See and Karen Gillan]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:45 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Sophie's Choice:
Released in 1982, Sophie's Choice is based on the novel of the same name and stars Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline and Peter MacNicol.

Streep plays the said Sophie.

Set in 1947, Sophie meets an aspiring novelist Stingo (MacNicol) in Brooklyn who she befriends and she has an unstable lover in Nathan (Kline).

Sophie is a Polish immigrant and she is a survivor of Auschwitz during World War II as she recounts this horrific experience to Stingo.

Quite harrowing seeing this movie especially how tragic the ending is.

I saw Sophie's Choice due to it being parodied in The Kevin Bishop Show where Sophie was played by my wife Karen Gillan and she later made another choice as another titular character in Amy's Choice in Doctor Who.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:03 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Seven Network Australia will rerun Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 with my wife Karen Gillan on Sunday April 25 2020 at 7pm or 7:30pm.

Incidentally the date before April 24 is the tenth anniversary of The Time of Angels where my wife Karen started work as Amy as this was shot before Amy's broadcast debut The Eleventh Hour.

Just as The Time of Angels was the first time my wife Karen played Amy, the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie was the first time she played Nebula.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

April 24 2020 marks ten years since the original broadcast of The Time of Angels.

The Time of Angels was the first episode of Series 5 to have been produced and was shot before the series' broadcast debut The Eleventh Hour.

Therefore it was the first time that Matt Smith played the Doctor notwithstanding his brief appearance at the end of The End of Time and the first time for my wife Karen Gillan playing Amy.

My wife Karen wears a lovely red top and she looks cute and lovely in it. Even though this would not be the first time that the audience was going to see Amy, my wife Karen does display the innocence to her especially with her visiting her first planet Alfava Metraxis.

The Time of Angels was written by showrunner Steven Moffat and marks the return of Alex Kingston as River Song whom a pre-showrunner Moffat had previously introduced in his story Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead.

In Forest of the Dead, River dies but the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) uploads her data ghost in the Library's computer allowing her to live in a way.

The Time of Angels presents River earlier in her timeline.

The Time of Angels guest stars Iain Glen as Father Octavian.

Glen would become Ser Jorah Mormont in Game of Thrones.

Glen is currently Bruce Wayne in Titans.

Appearing in the teaser of The Time of Angels is Simon Dutton as Alistair.

Dutton had at one time played Simon Templar, The Saint in a series of TV movies.

As Alistair, Sutton played River's adversary and he feels like the anti-Saint.

As well as River Song, Moffat also brings back another of his creations, The Weeping Angels whom he introduced in Blink.

As a sequel to Blink, Moffat wrote The Time of Angels as like Aliens to Blink's Alien.

Amy asked the Doctor whether River is his wife but he did not answer that question.

When Amy later said to River that she is so the Doctor's wife, River did not confirm whether she was right.

The Doctor and River would indeed get married in The Wedding of River Song written by none other than Moffat himself.

As the others were preoccupied, Amy asked whether anybody needed her. I certainly do.

The first appearance of an Angel here is one in a video.

The video shows the time running in seconds in a loop between 11:24 and 11:28. Perhaps coincidentally the latter is a numerical representation of my wife Karen's birthday November 28 and my wife Karen as Amy is the one who mostly watches that video.

The Doctor soon figures that the image of an Angel becomes an Angel.

The Angel then moves out of the video and just as it was about to attack Amy, the Doctor turns off the video feed and the Angel vanishes.

In the aftermath of this Amy gets something in her eye.

We soon meet Sacred Bob who became an unlikely villain when he gets killed by the Angels and with the use of his consciousness becomes the agent for the Angels.

As The Time of Angels reaches its end came the realisation that the statues in the caves are not the native Aplans who have two heads as these have one.

They are instead the Angels.

Another moment is when Amy, after having something in her eye, finds that she has a stone hand.

The Doctor assures her that it isn't real even to the extent that he bit her hand.

The cliffhanger has everyone in a trap.

The Doctor borrows Octavian's gun and tells everyone to jump when he fires it.

The Doctor tells Bob there is one thing that should never put in a trap and that is the Doctor himself.

The Time of Angels ends in the cliffhanger with the Doctor firing the gun at the gravity globe.

In some regions of the UK, fans were outraged when an animated graphic of Graham Norton was shown of him revealing a banner trailing his show Over the Rainbow. According to the BBC, the overlay graphic was run 20 seconds too early and has apologised for it.

In The Graham Norton Show on May 3, Norton made up for this with a similar banner at the bottom of the screen and having a Dalek exterminate his own cartoon caricature.

Perhaps coincidentally that very show had my wife Karen as a guest.

Exactly seven years after The Time of Angels came the penultimate episode of Wolfblood, The War With the Humans and that too ended with a lesson on what not to put in a trap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:22 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Dalek exterminates Graham Norton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnpZS_54uoA

Marking the tenth anniversary of The Time of Angels.
It starts with a picture of my wife Karen Gillan who perhaps coincidentally was a guest of that show.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:10 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

WatchMojo: The Rock Gets ROASTED by Kevin Hart - Jumanji: The Next Level cast interview with my wife Karen Gillan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSS353J4buc

This came on my wife Karen's birthday on November 28 2019.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Outlander 5.10 Mercy Shall Follow Me:

Antepenultimate episode of season 5.

This episode brings the Stephen Bonnet storyline to an end.

While the threat that is Bonnet was being focused on, Jocasta gets a visit by Gerald Forbes.

Shocking when Forbes attempted to kill her but he got killed by Ulysses and therefore saved Jocasta's life.

Brianna gets taken captive by Bonnet.

Harrowing seeing Bonnet holding Brianna hostage which ends with Brianna being rescued and Bonnet facing justice.

Bonnet is convicted and sentenced to death.

Death is by drowning.

However before water could claim his life, he is shot dead by Brianna.

Roger asked her whether this was out of mercy or to make sure he is dead.

Brianna left that question unanswered leaving the viewer their own interpretation of why she did it as the Bonnet storyline and the episode came to an end.

Brianna is played by redhead Sophie Skelton and given this episode's title fellow redhead Karen Gillan and she had been in episodes with the words mercy and follow in their titles.

With mercy, my wife Karen was in Doctor Who: A Town Called Mercy and with follow my wife Karen was in Selfie: Follow-Through.

Prior to Sophie's casting as Brianna, my wife Karen became a fan favourite online for her to play her as the books described her as a redhead.

As much as I love Karen I am glad that Sophie was cast as Brianna.

No reflection on Sophie but my wife Karen as Brianna would have meant for her to do the Bonnet storyline.

I would not like to have seen my wife Karen do that with what Brianna had to go through here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

My wife Karen Gillan in a dual role in err.... Dual:

https://movies.mxdwn.com/news/sci-fi-th ... 51cCi_Zyg0

This sounds like her revisiting the Doctor Who Gangers story.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

May 1 2020 marked ten years since Flesh and Stone, the conclusion to the previous week's The Time of Angels.
Brilliant resolution to the cliffhanger when everyone jumped up into the gravity well of the Byzantium.
Enthralling that much of the episode took place in the ship's oxygen factory, a forest contained within the ship.
Worrying signs when Amy started counting down especially when she said five instead of fine.
Funny when Octavian asked River whether the Doctor is a madman but she instead repeated what she just said about absolutely trusting him!
After its introduction in The Eleventh Hour and brief appearances in The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks, the crack makes a greater presence here and the Angels being involved in its machinations.
Horrifying when a copy of Angel Bob turned up in Amy's mind and will kill her when she completes the countdown prompting the Doctor to tell her to close her eyes.
Harrowing that Amy spent a considerable time with her eyes close especially that she ends up alone when the clerics protecting her who in succession disappears and the successive remaining clerics having no memory of their disappeared comrades.

The Doctor mentions the CyberKing in The Next Doctor.

When I last saw a rerun of this in 2018 I wrote this:
"While it was not unusual for events of an episode written by a different writer and in this case a different showrunner [Russell T. Davies] to get mentioned in an episode at hand one that is not connected narratively it had me perplexed why the CyberKing got brought up in Flesh and Stone.
One thing that I come up with is that The Next Doctor David Morrissey had people initially thinking about whether he was going to be the Eleventh Doctor as he was appearing with Tenth Doctor David Tennant whose departure was imminent.
Of course the real Eleventh Doctor would turn out to be Matt Smith and I guess it was therefore fitting for the event of The Next Doctor to get mentioned in an Eleventh Doctor episode in Flesh and Stone."
A pivotal moment was when the Doctor, River and Octavian went off without a closed eyes Amy only for the Doctor to come back to talk to Amy.
The manner of Matt Smith's appearance with this talk looked different to when he was just seen with River and Octavian.
This led to the initial thought that this was a continuity error.
However it would be revealed in the season finale The Big Bang that this was the Doctor from the future.
Octavian meets his demise by the Angels.
Iain Glen would later be in Game of Thrones and a joke was made that the Angels sent Glen back in time to that series!
Thrilling moment when the Angels closes in on Amy but was saved when River teleported her to the flight deck.
The resolution to the main story came when the Doctor told Amy and River to literally get a grip due to the Doctor's action which literally saw the Angels fall into the crack.
As the Doctor and River says their goodbyes she says that he will next see her when The Pandorica Opens.
The final scene is in Amy's bedroom where Amy unsuccessfully seduces the Doctor.
Showrunner Steven Moffat later regretted writing this in, a regret he recently restated in a DWM interview.
Amy says that she wasn't looking for anything long term with the Doctor. Well speaking as a different Matt S my love for her is long term.

Flesh and Stone ends with a flashback of a conversation between the Doctor and River in which they see the base code of the universe translating to "26 06 2010" meaning June 26 2010 the significance of this date would be explored in The Big Bang.
In fact The Big Bang would be first shown on that very date.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

May 8 2020 marks ten years since the original broadcast of The Vampires of Venice.

After being introduced in The Eleventh Hour, Rory becomes a companion here.

The eventual series 5 DVD release included two Meanwhile In The TARDIS scenes, the second of which is set between Flesh and Stone & The Vampires of Venice which detailed the impact of Amy's unsuccessful seduction on the Doctor in the former episode and therefore leads into the latter.

The Vampires of Venice is written by Toby Whithouse and he had previously written School Reunion.

In both episodes it had a male companion starting his TARDIS travels. For School Reunion it's Mickey while The Vampires of Venice it's Rory.

For his first TARDIS trip, Rory goes with the Doctor and Amy to 1580 Venice.

1580 Venice was filmed in in the coastal town of Trogir, Croatia in late 2009.

The real present day Venice was not an option due to it being very anachronistic to the episode's setting.

While the said vampires did not turn out to be vampires at all, Whithouse is familiar with the subject of vampires as vampires featured regularly in Being Human, the supernatural drama series he created.

Main guest star is Helen McCrory as the villain Rosanna Calvierri. She later reunited with my wife Karen Gillan in the 2012 TV movie We'll Take Manhattan.

In We'll Take Manhattan, McCrory played the real-life Lady Clare Rendlesham, presented as the antagonist against my wife Karen's Jean Shrimpton.

In a curious coincidence, the real Lady Rendlesham had died in February 1987 just nine months before my wife Karen was born in that November.

Among McCrory's subsequent work included the movie Loving Vincent (2017) which was about Vincent Van Gogh.

McCrory narrowly missed Vincent in Doctor Who as Vincent and the Doctor came four episodes after The Vampires of Venice.

Playing Rosanna's son Francesco is Alex Price who at the same time was also narrating Doctor Who Confidential including the corresponding episode to this, Death in Venice.

Price's subsequent work after The Vampires of Venice and Confidential included a principal role in Father Brown with the titular father played by Mark Williams who had played Rory's father Brian. Small world isn't it.

The Doctor says about wanting to avoid bumping into Casanova. Undoubtedly this particular reference to Casanova is an allusion to the 2005 Casanova mini-series in which Casanova was played by David Tennant, Matt Smith’s predecessor as the Doctor.

William Hartnell made an unlikely cameo with the Eleventh Doctor showing his library card with the picture of the First Doctor to the terrifying vampire girls.

Death In Venice revealed that Executive Producer Beth Willis literally testing waters when she went into it wearing a white dress like the ones that the vampire girls wore.

Well that was quite a dedication from one of the bosses of the series.

As stated before the vampires aren't vampires but aliens from the planet Saturnyne.

The one on one scenes between the Doctor and Rosanna has been well played out especially when they traded information for information.

The encounters between the Doctor and Rosanna marks another commonality with School Reunion by the same writer.

Rosanna is more or less a retread of Mr Finch from School Reunion.

In each respective case they offered a partnership with the Doctor but he refuses both times.

Whithouse also seem to reuse conversations by a mass of water.

In School Reunion the Doctor and Mr Finch had their encounter by a swimming pool while in The Vampires of Venice the last time that the Doctor talks to Rosanna was just before she jumped into the water where she met her demise.

The episode ends on a worrying note with Rory not feeling anything strange about the silence that the Doctor pointed out even though there was a flurry of activity only a moment before.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

My local library will be doing a book review on The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepsworth and I cheekily said on its facebook page that my favourite mother-in-law is Amy Pond.
To my surprise the library reacted to this with love!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:51 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

May 15 2020 marked ten years since the original broadcast of Amy's Choice.
Written by Simon Nye.

Of the writers for Matt Smith's first season, Nye and Richard Curtis (Vincent and the Doctor) are the only ones who have written for Doctor Who for the first - and only - time.

For my wife Karen Gillan this is not the first time that she had played the title character with a choice to make.

In The Kevin Bishop Show, one of the sketches she did was the musical for Sophie's Choice in which she played the said Sophie.

According to Wikipedia, Amy's Choice had been used as a title before for a 2002 Hong Kong mini-series.
Appropriately enough I am Chinese myself and I love very much Doctor Who's Amy.

Doctor Who's Amy's Choice starts off with the Doctor visiting his old friends Amy and Rory at their home in Upper Leadworth as it has been five years since they parted ways with him.

Amy is now pregnant leading the Doctor remarking that she swallowed a planet.

However things are not what they seem as we then see all three of them back in the TARDIS still travelling together and Amy unpregnant.

The travellers are therefore flickering between these two realities and it is the work of the Dream Lord played by Toby Jones.
For this episode Jones got to be the Doctor as the Dream Lord is a psychic manifestation of the darker parts of the Doctor's character, given life by psychic pollen that was stuck in the time rotor of the TARDIS.

In Upper Leadworth the monsters are the Eknodines who have inhabited elderly people.

One of these elderly people is Mr Nainby played by Nick Hobbs.

Remarkably Hobbs had previously worked on Doctor Who in 1970s Who mostly in uncredited roles.

His only credited roles in classic Who was as Aggedor in the two Peladon stories and then as Wirrn Operator in The Ark In Space.

In another possible connection with classic Who is that Upper Leadworth has an old peoples home called Sarn Residential Care Home.
Sarn was also the name of the said planet in Planet of Fire as well as a character in Time and the Rani.

Ultimately it is about Amy's choice as she decides what it is real and what is the dream.

Amy's Choice marks the only appearance by the Dream Lord.

However despite this being his only appearance there was an unexpected reference to the Dream Lord in Impulse 2.3 For Those Lost.

This Impulse episode had a conversation about the impact of dreams with Townes (Daniel Maslany) bringing up the Dream Lord as an example with him saying Doctor Who's Dream Lord.

The Impulse episode along with the entire Impulse second season was released on October 16 2019 almost seven months before the tenth anniversary of Amy's Choice, the Dream Lord's only appearance, on May 15 2020.

Last edited by Theta Sigma on Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:06 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Amy's Choice fan made poster:
https://mrpacinohead.deviantart.com/art ... -733736459

Marking the tenth anniversary of Amy’s Choice.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Amy's choice of PJs as she dances:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CALk7Qyny8J ... e6_PE_l_PU

Shot before the quarantine.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Not Another Happy Ending podcast from Couch Buddies:
player.fm/series/couch-buddies-podcast/ep-81-not-another-happy-ending

My favourite scene is touched upon between 47.39 and 48.20.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:10 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Vincent and the Doctor’s Gallery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV97JeWFRc4

With my wife Karen Gillan.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

May 22 2020 marks 10 years since the original broadcast of The Hungry Earth.

Written by future showrunner Chris Chibnall with this his first episode for Matt Smith.

Guest stars Neve McIntosh, Meera Syal, Robert Pugh, Nia Roberts, Alun Raglan and Samuel Davies.

The Hungry Earth is the first in a two-parter which concludes with Cold Blood and both episodes were directed by Ashley Way.

Although having previously directed the interactive adventure Attack of the Graske and then the Tardisodes, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood is Way's only story on the fully fledged series.
Way had previously directed on Torchwood which also had Chibnall as head writer.

After The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, Way directed four stories of The Sarah Jane Adventures, the first of which had him direct Smith again for The Death of the Doctor.

Guest star Robert Pugh had also worked on Torchwood when he guest starred in Adrift also written by Chibnall but not directed by Way.

Another Torchwood contributor is producer Peter Bennett as he had produced Children of Earth, the year before.

The Hungry Earth marked the NuWho debut by the Silurians with Silurian Alaya played by Neve McIntosh. Neve of course would later play another Silurian, the well known Madame Vastra.

The Silurians were previously seen in 1984's Warriors of the Deep.

The Silurians here looks different from their predecessors. These Silurians are explained to be from a different branch.

Funny when the Doctor called the Silurians, Earth..lians when explaining that they are not aliens.

The Hungry Earth feels like an amalgamation of two stories from Jon Pertwee's first season, the first Silurian story and Inferno.
Like Inferno, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood involves a drilling project into the Earth’s crust.

Amy and Rory got waved at by their future selves, a guarantee that they won’t be killed off when they end their TARDIS travels. Or is it?

When the Doctor uses the sonic screwdriver on a lock, Amy says that this was breaking and entering. (Well it is boobsy girl and entering to me, my beautiful Karen.)
The Doctor says that it was sonicing and entering which wasn't the same thing.
Chibnall later had the Thirteenth Doctor doing the same thing in Arachnids In The UK.
In Arachnids In The UK the response to this that it was breaking and entering but the Doctor didn’t say it was sonicing and entering as the Eleventh Doctor did in The Hungry Earth.

Amy got separated from the Doctor and Rory when she got sucked underground.

Curiously this is what I wrote when I saw the filming of that in the corresponding Confidential, After Effects:

"As good as it is, strangely enough the scene of Amy being sucked underground is more exciting here than in the main episode."

My wife Karen Gillan was initially scared at performing this stunt that she put some of her fear and claustrophobia into the scene as she expected Amy felt the same way.

Funny when Amy found herself captive that she got shush at by the Silurian scientist and she reacted angrily to that. She does not like being shush at.

Read from TARDIS Wiki that Amy originally was to be stripped down to her underwear before being dissected. This was removed as "too adult". (I am speaking as someone who is in love with Karen.)

Interesting that Nasreen (Meera Syal) becomes a sort of companion as she accompanies the Doctor underground.

What a cliffhanger of the Doctor and Nasreen seeing the entire civilisation of the Silurians underground.

Read from TARDIS Wiki that Matt Smith celebrated his twenty-seventh birthday during the filming of this episode on 28 October 2009.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 24   [ 724 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next