What did you think?
Sparking Water - excellent 63%  63%  [ 24 ]
Mineral Water - Good 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
Tap Water - Average 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Dish Water - Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eau Du La Toilette - flush it away 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:33 pm 

I enjoyed it, although I am rather confused as to what happens when you die and why Missy has a Cyberman army.

Missy was played beautifully, and was the highlight of the episode by far.

Still love PC though, the best new Who doc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:27 pm 

PSN ID: Senarty
Unlike everyone else it seems I didn't see it coming a mile off, Missy is the Master? Gor blimey!
I was only disappointed because I got so excited when she was about to reveal who she was as I was completely convinced it was Romana and was almost shaking with glee.
But then, oh, it's just the Master. But oh! The Master! Nice one. And I couldn't think of a better actress to play the role either. Was talking with Jen about this and was previously really keen for Ben Miller to play The Master because the ham would be delicious but was then pointed to the ham that was already on display and happily agreed.
Glorious, lovely, beautiful ham. Great stuff!
I don't sit in front of the computer and analyse every single scene to try and figure out what's happening (any more, thankfully), now I just watch the damn show and it's a far better experience that way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:41 pm 

To be honest I was a bit disappointed she was the Master for the only reason that bringing him back could be seen as just being a bit lazy. I just get the feeling now that using a well known returning villain is going to be shorthand for a plot. Basically, a Cyberman army because.... well.... you know.... it's the Master. He does that kinda thing. He's evil.

We might get answers next week of course, so will hold off judgement until then. Just hope there is some good reason for what is happening rather than the usual Moffatt approach of "It looks cool but don't think about looking for any logic".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:12 am 

I've got a feeling Mistress will become Master in the next episode.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

mozz wrote:

Revert back to the name or regenerate into a man? I'd be fine with the former, deeply disappointed with the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I'm with fonz on this one. Having Missy regenerate into a man right now would be a massive cop out and destroy any point that there was in having her be a woman in the first place. Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen later on, but I for one hope this isn't the only time we are going to see her.

Shame there's no way Eric Roberts would come back or that Derek Jacobi could come back, as I'd quite like to see how one of her previous incarnations would take the change. Yes, I didn't mention John Simm, but that's because I've had my fill of his version!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 am 

I agree - it would be a massive step backwards if the Mistress became male next week.

I think the world can cope with Timelords changing gender now.

Incidentally I watched The Aztecs yesterday and noticed that the companions took centre stage, disagreed with and acted against the Doctor's wishes; the Doctor got engaged... good job that sort of thing doesn't happen in modern Who, eh readers?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:08 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Only episode to get a 5 out of 5 this season but this felt like proper Doctor Who (my idea of Proper not everyone's) and I really enjoyed Capaldi as well he has taken longer than any other barring 6 and 7 to become the Doc for me but at last its happend.

LOVE the concept it actually made me pause and think "oh my god that would be awful" and the words "dont cremate me"hell that was genius

My only niggle if they are still connected to their bodies and can feel things that the body feels why is Danny not in agony from the car crash ? he can feel the cold table or freezer etc so surely the injuries that killed him should be causing him some level of discomfort ..but that a minor niggle

best line "you've got Ipads ???" "Sir we've got Steve Jobs" :)

great episode

Hornetxt wrote:
If I'm making that up I still think it's a better idea than the gender swap regen as I hate that idea as it then gives the "let's have a female Doctor" brigade more ammo.

runalong wrote:
a regeneration and The Corsair suggests this is possible for Gallifrayans so its done (totally opening up female Doctor roles too).

You know I was starting to think that they had made Capaldis Doctor so unlikeable on purpose (for many he was) I was thinking they are doing this so they can regenerate him into a woman and we will be so happy that the giant space dick that was the previous Doctor had gone that we would not really notice or be bothered

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:05 am 

This was more like it - Being a two-parter, the story had time to breathe, there was room for characterisation and all the other stuff that has been missing in the rush to cram as much plot as possible into 45 minutes. The first time this season it felt like proper DW - this was a real "Bobby Ewing in the shower" episode - it was as if the last ten weeks hadn't happened.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 am 

I thought it was awful. Not sure if it was the worst this season, but pretty bad.

Pointless, plodding and horrendously padded out, with the inevitable Moffat standard thing-that-seems-cool-but-makes-no-sense dialed up to eleven.

And that's before we even get to the fact that the Master came back as River Song. Seriously, can Moffat only imagine women who act exactly like this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 am 

fonz wrote:
mozz wrote:

Revert back to the name or regenerate into a man? I'd be fine with the former, deeply disappointed with the latter.

Sadly, the latter. Whether it be a regeneration, or a revelation that he has Missy on mind control (or similar) I think Moff will return to type.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 am 
Demi-goddess

Saul Iscariot wrote:
JJ wrote:
When I say I'm not at home to cissexist nonsense, there was a comment earlier in the thread that implied someone with a penis is a man, and that anyone who has ever had a penis is a man. Which, if that was the intent, is cissexist.

In my original post I thought my sarcasm would have been obvious. My apologies that I wasn't clearer and it wasn't my intent to cause any offence.

Saul, I've just reread your post, and now you've pointed it out, I can see the whole thing is sarcasm. It's cool.

The whole "don't cremate me" thing is a lie. If people are cremated, their bodies can't be used as Cybe bases. The person we heard screaming, who had apparently left their body to medical science, is a sound effect or someone pretending. The coldness Danny felt was deliberately generated. The entire thing is constructed so that living people will choose not to be cremated, and so that consciousnesses in the Nethersphere will choose to Delete. Ever since Stace's blog on SFX, I can't see that word in Cybe context without hearing her daughter saying "DAALEEEEETE" :lol:

Sidebar, and since a few folk have been upset by the content of Dark Water, I'll put it in spoiler tags with a trigger warning for possibly disturbing death content:
Spoiler:
since folks are talking about their post-mortem disposal choices, I'd choose to be buried. This is despite the single most disturbing story in a kids' horror anthology I read as a kid, the only one that has stayed with me. It involved someone being buried alive and years later being exhumed. When the lid was opened, their fingers were worn down to the hand and there were deep gouges in the interior of the lid. I was EIGHT when I read that. Proper nightmare fuel. When I learned about the 19th century trend for safety coffins with bells attached, it seemed totally sensible and ridiculous that people don't still have them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:11 am 

Cheers JJ, sorry to have caused any upset. My attempts at humour probably need more consideration in future.

I am convinced that the cremation thing is a deception to get people to agree to become Cybermen as they won't read the small print when they agree to have their emotions removed. Only it makes little sense. If you've stolen their consciousness already why would you need their permission to do with it as you please? Dos it tie in with Torchwood? People would still remember what happened to the 'dead' in that and there would be a general fear of being cremated in the whoniverse, wouldn't there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Trumpetmike wrote:
Boo wrote:
However, for me it was overshadowed by the afterlife stuff. It was just...too dark. Yeah the idea that the dead are in another state of consciousness and are essentially being burned alive when they're cremated is very clever and very chilling, but it's something I'd expect in a horror, not from Doctor Who. By all means make up whatever crap about an afterlife you want to, but planting the idea that the recently bereaved have have burned their loved ones alive just crossed a line for me. I'm sure it will all be explained away, but for me that just went too far. Personally I found it genuinely very upsetting.

Having had a good friend pass away on Friday night (very suddenly) this nearly caused me to turn off, it was just too much.
I can see it having a really bad effect upon many, especially any children who might not be able to separate the fiction that is Doctor Who (it's not real folks) with reality and then be shaken if any of their relatives are to be cremated.

There is a place for such thinking and discussion, but I'm really not comfortable with it being on Doctor Who

Completely with you both on that one, I thought it was odd and in very poor taste. Would have been very disturbing for younger viewers and not in a ‘monsters under the bed’ way either.

It really ruined my enjoyment of the episode.

That and the fact that someone spoilered the Missy/Master reveal on Facebook just after the episode aired. I was working at a Halloween night and intended to watch the episode later. Blummen’ idiot…’spoilers!’

Also, why were the cyber-skeletons in the fluid anyway, other than to make for a cool reveal at the end? Unless I missed something it didn’t make a lot of sense.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:38 am 

Of course, one of the plotholes with the Missy and the Cybermen (good band name) plan is the girl soldier who sacrificed herself in Into the Dalek ended up there despite being disintegrated by the Dalek antibodies. Not to mention clockwork robot in Deep Breath and I'm not sure if there was much left of the copper in The Caretaker. Not much left to fill a cyberman armour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I'm hoping all of these issues will be addressed in the last episode....but I'm not 100% convinced that they will.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:16 pm 

Beaker wrote:
Also, why were the cyber-skeletons in the fluid anyway, other than to make for a cool reveal at the end? Unless I missed something it didn’t make a lot of sense.

Moffat thought it would look cool.

"Steven, that makes absolutely no sense at-"
"Cool!"
"But-"
"Cool!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:37 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Saul Iscariot wrote:
Cheers JJ, sorry to have caused any upset. My attempts at humour probably need more consideration in future.

I am convinced that the cremation thing is a deception to get people to agree to become Cybermen as they won't read the small print when they agree to have their emotions removed. Only it makes little sense. If you've stolen their consciousness already why would you need their permission to do with it as you please? Dos it tie in with Torchwood? People would still remember what happened to the 'dead' in that and there would be a general fear of being cremated in the whoniverse, wouldn't there?

Total acceptance on a subconscious level I would say.

A person would have to whole-heartedly want the conversion, otherwise they might/would fight it long term

Why this is an issue now and not before I don't know, but prehaps you could argue that with inhibitor chips etc, forced converted Cybermen (as opposed to those original ones) never worked at peak effeciency as there was some subconscious revulsion/fighting going on.

That is total speculation on my part

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I was out on Saturday too, so yeah, not too happy with the facebook people who had massive pictures of all the Masters with Missy at the end, even though I pretty much always guessed it was him anyway, it would have been nice to have been surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:36 pm 

Basileus wrote:
Total acceptance on a subconscious level I would say.

A person would have to whole-heartedly want the conversion, otherwise they might/would fight it long term

Why this is an issue now and not before I don't know, but prehaps you could argue that with inhibitor chips etc, forced converted Cybermen (as opposed to those original ones) never worked at peak effeciency as there was some subconscious revulsion/fighting going on.

That is total speculation on my part

That does make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

glunark wrote:
I was out on Saturday too, so yeah, not too happy with the facebook people who had massive pictures of all the Masters with Missy at the end, even though I pretty much always guessed it was him anyway, it would have been nice to have been surprised.

Yeah, I'd kind of guessed but thought it may have been mis-direction.

I'd avoided all other internet contact but put FB on quickly and there is way. A bit irresponsible of them really although Mrs Beaker thought it was a bit pathetic that I was annoyed by it. She just doesn't get it.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Trumpetmike wrote:
Of Mars - are you feeling ill? There were bits of that rant that nearly sounded not-negative (not quite positive, but one step at a time).

Haha, no not ill, or positive!! I just expected to hate it, and usually it matches my poor expectations, but it didn't.
runalong wrote:
He loved it I can see the signs of repressed Moff love

Yes that is correct, all my rants and anger with his rubbish writing, is in fact because he wouldn't look at me!!

I need to catch up on everybody else's reviews, but I see from the poll that it was a love-in!

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:10 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Knew it

Of course Missie is close to Marsie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:49 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

runalong wrote:
Knew it
Of course Missie is close to Marsie

Oh crap. You have foiled me again you pesky Womble!

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Beaker wrote:

Rule of cool. I think the intention was to have the Cybermen hiding in plain sight. Though having them lying in more traditional opaque tombs would have also done the trick and bursting out. That's been done though. It seems like it was there to have some creepy skeletons turning heads and stuff.

mozz wrote:
Of course, one of the plotholes with the Missy and the Cybermen (good band name) plan is the girl soldier who sacrificed herself in Into the Dalek ended up there despite being disintegrated by the Dalek antibodies. Not to mention clockwork robot in Deep Breath and I'm not sure if there was much left of the copper in The Caretaker. Not much left to fill a cyberman armour.

Well, it doesn't look like a lot of organic material is needed for these new Cybermen anyway! The only stuff on display was a skeleton. And we can clearly see that flesh is visible in the water as demonstrated by that guy.

So, the question is: are the bodies and minds necessarily connected at all now? Or are willing minds just being downloaded into the next available body? All those previous deaths occurred in different time periods so I imagine Missy has been tracking The Doctor and grabbing people who died around him.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:39 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
The whole "don't cremate me" thing is a lie. If people are cremated, their bodies can't be used as Cybe bases. The person we heard screaming, who had apparently left their body to medical science, is a sound effect or someone pretending. The coldness Danny felt was deliberately generated. The entire thing is constructed so that living people will choose not to be cremated, and so that consciousnesses in the Nethersphere will choose to Delete. Ever since Stace's blog on SFX, I can't see that word in Cybe context without hearing her daughter saying "DAALEEEEETE" :lol:

Yes! My thoughts exactly. They need people to voluntarily delete their emotions and fear of body disposal is one of the common ones. Hence they bring the boy Danny Killed and let him talk to clara. Say it was someone else, the policeman from "The caretaker" perhaps, and he has nothing really upsetting in his life. saying "You will feel yourself being cremated in 10 minutes unless you press this button to stop you feeling it" would be a pretty convincing argument (Particularly if they could make them feel warm on the buildup)

I also wondered if the Three words were used as a way to get family members to give over the bodies.

I thought that was brilliant. I felt a little cheated by the Clara vs Doctor scene being fake but the scene after in the Tardis, Fantastic stuff. Sadly as soon as they said what the Dark Water was I knew it was the cybermen, but that was from the trailer. I would have prefered it if the sudden reveal was the mirrored logo on the doors. (I was looking at it thinking "That means something, the two circles, what could it be, Gallifranian text? Before seeing the doors and thinking "Cyberman's eyes you dolt")

The gender swap of the Master to Missy. They managed to wrong foot me on this. When she was talkingabout being abandoned by the Doctor I began to think Romana, twisted by E-Space and gone Mad, Mad I tell you. Meant the actual reveal had more impact. and yes, it has been said Timelords can change gender in the Dcotor's wife so they can, been said on screen and so is cannon. She could be identifying but at this point I think that obsessing over the Master's genetaila is getting a bit weird. She said she's a woman, she is a woman. Looking forward to pt 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:37 am 

PieMan70 wrote:
....and yes, it has been said Timelords can change gender in the Dcotor's wife so they can, been said on screen and so is cannon. She could be identifying but at this point I think that obsessing over the Master's genetaila is getting a bit weird. She said she's a woman, she is a woman. Looking forward to pt 2

Just to play Devils Advocate here...... It's also been said (twice) on screen that the Doctor is half human. Most people seem to ignore that part of the 'canon' as being an abomination.

(Not that I have anything against a female Master of course, just feel it's bit of a cheap gimmick so Moffatt can say, "Look! I did it first! I'm so brilliant!")

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:16 am 

Sam Bell v.169 wrote:
PieMan70 wrote:
....and yes, it has been said Timelords can change gender in the Dcotor's wife so they can, been said on screen and so is cannon. She could be identifying but at this point I think that obsessing over the Master's genetaila is getting a bit weird. She said she's a woman, she is a woman. Looking forward to pt 2

Just to play Devils Advocate here...... It's also been said (twice) on screen that the Doctor is half human. Most people seem to ignore that part of the 'canon' as being an abomination.

(Not that I have anything against a female Master of course, just feel it's bit of a cheap gimmick so Moffatt can say, "Look! I did it first! I'm so brilliant!")

But that is because the Time Lords and Ladies are actually hiding in plain sight as humans on earth using Chameleon Arch technology. They can't return to our universe without starting up the Time War again. So they've hidden and given up their technology. That is why the Doctor, subconsciously, has taken on the role of protector of earth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:30 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

No real surprises in this episode (except maybe Missy in St. Paul's all along), I pretty much detailed the storyline with a couple of other people after Deep Breath. Even the line revealing she had been The Master was very similar to one SquidFromSpace wrote on the Missy thread over at SFX. Meant I did really enjoy it still though and lots of the more interesting revelations (presumably) come next week.

glunark wrote:
If the dead people are in the Matrix and Missy is outside the Matrix, why the first few times we saw her was she the one greeting the dead?

The Matrix can be physically penetrated. The Master does it twice, in The Deadly Assassin and Trial of A Timelord. No reason she can't do so again.*

Quote:
If she was on earth the whole time sat in the middle of london, why was she so calm when the deadly sun radiation was potentially going to end all life on earth?

Because she's always been smarter than The Doctor and knew it would be fine?

Quote:
And if you want an element of surprise around Missy, why let the actress act like John Simm in the first episode? They might as well have just had her first appear wearing the clothes we last saw him in.

People kept telling me I was crazy and she didn't after ep 1 so maybe nonn-fans needed more neon signposts

*what is the etiquette on timelord pronouns? The Master always a he and Missy a she right?

EDIT: One minor thing I disliked, the sleep patches. We haven't seen those before have we? Those should have been the basis for an episode (say last week's instead?)

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:35 pm 

Quote:
EDIT: One minor thing I disliked, the sleep patches. We haven't seen those before have we? Those should have been the basis for an episode (say last week's instead?)

Also, have we heard about the TARDIS keys being destroyed by "magma" before or is that just another thing plucked out of the air?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:42 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Sam Bell v.169 wrote:
Also, have we heard about the TARDIS keys being destroyed by "magma" before or is that just another thing plucked out of the air?

I think thin air-ish. We see a defenceless TARDIS can be melted in a z-neutrino core and the keys don't have a protective shell. However, I'm fine with this point as the locking mechanism changes almost every episode. I just assume The Doctor keeps changing the locking system to be on the safe side and that may well include the keys he uses.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next