Sparking Water - excellent 63%  63%  [ 24 ]
Mineral Water - Good 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
Tap Water - Average 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Dish Water - Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eau Du La Toilette - flush it away 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:41 pm 

Perdide wrote:
There's two big complaints from that era that have become legendary (that I can remember) there's the troll doll and the police asking the DW production team to not make policemen scary. They clearly forgot about that by the 80s though! ;)

Most of the time I think they liked Whitehouse complaints as it boosted ratings in the next few week!!

I'm sure most people are fine with the content, I was just saying that today most companies are on the active lookout for possibly damaging comments on social media and are quick to respond if there looks like a problem. Those that don't get onto it quickly potentially face the issue snowballing if they're not careful.

I think the main Whitehouse complaint was Tom Bakers Doctor being held under the water at the end of part 3 of the Deadly Assassin. That was the cliff hanger with Tom struggling to breath which MW thought was too much and kids might copy (too hold their breath for a week!?!?!?) Don't think she was giving kids much credit there. <Where's-the-bloody-face-palm-smile?>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:48 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Sam Bell v.169 wrote:
<Where's-the-bloody-face-palm-smile?>

If you find one that's free to use I'm happy to add it to the rest.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Perdide wrote:
Where was this apology issued? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, in contrast to the publicly announced edit to Robot of Sherwood.

its a very vague memory from an article I read a while ago and now that I am googling I cant find it anywhere so maybe my memory is playing tricks but I do remember the backlash in the papers about the autons back then

I think you've misremembered this article on Den of Geek. They're not quoting Letts, and they say

Den of Geek article wrote:
Not content with revealing policemen to be blank faced, gun-handed Autons, Robert Holmes further destroys your sanity by making you afraid of flowers, chairs, and your teddy bear.

Amazingly, there were complaints. Barry Letts took these on board, rather than issue a statement demanding that the nation's children 'Man the hell up'.

Yup that must be it I frequent that site a lot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 am 

Re the cremation/BBC apology...I don't actually think it matters that the cremation is a con and a plot device (I guessed it probably was) for me I felt it was in rather poor taste and as I said before I found it genuinely upsetting. I didn't complain about it, but I'm rather disappointed with the posts here which talk about "Mary Whitehousian" reactions and viewers needing to remember it's just Doctor Who and to man up. We're not talking about kids being scared in a monsters under the bed way, or parents being outraged by a married lesbian couple. If you are grieving a loved one who you had cremated and you settle down with the family for some escapism with Doctor Who, then it did feel quite shocking, out of the blue, and actually a bit disrespectful. Just because it didn't bother you, doesn't mean that nobody else is allowed to be upset or that they are stupid or conservative for feeling upset. A bit of empathy here would not go amiss.

ETA: I forgot to say, I take the point that Doctor Who has often touched on quite dark issues around life and death, but this wasn't a subtle exploration of, well, anything really.

Last edited by Boo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Boo wrote:
Re the cremation/BBC apology...I don't actually think it matters that the cremation is a con and a plot device (I guessed it probably was) for me I felt it was in rather poor taste and as I said before I found it genuinely upsetting. I didn't complain about it, but I'm rather disappointed with the posts here which talk about "Mary Whitehousian" reactions and viewers needing to remember it's just Doctor Who and to man up. We're not talking about kids being scared in a monsters under the bed way, or parents being outraged by a married lesbian couple. If you are grieving a loved one who you had cremated and you settle down with the family for some escapism with Doctor Who, then it did feel quite shocking, out of the blue, and actually a bit disrespectful. Just because it didn't bother you, doesn't mean that nobody else is allowed to be upset or that they are stupid or conservative for feeling upset. A bit of empathy here would not go amiss.

Very well put Boo, and you are 100% right that there is a difference between the "taste"of something rather than a scare be it a monster or other method. Personally speaking I did not have a problem with it in the same way, but I can see that if anybody had just lost someone, it may well strike a low chord.
However [and get this Of Mars fans (club fees: 1 Martian snowball with red dust)] I do not think Moffat intended it in the way it was taken. I personally think that it was just another in a long line of that same thing he has done in virtually all of his stories - From "Are you my Mummy" via "Hey who turned out all the lights" and beyond to a few more recent ones which were so memorable, I have forgotten what they were. Basically, all I thought was "Ppuhh, typical lazy Moffat and his lazy tricks".
The strange thing is because of the recent headlines (and that they happen far too often] I felt the same - in a different way [yes I know that is a contradiction but I am sure you'll know what I mean] about the "missing" girl magically appearing at the end of 'Forest of the Night', and yet no one else lifted a bat's eyelid.
This is not to say that the BBC should react to every single headline in case one person is upset, because that is censorship at its political correctness worst. I do think though that there are some things in "Age Specific" things that even in this more enlightened age and more liberal society, need to have someone question whether it is appropriate.

So anyone enjoy Transformers 4...?

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:48 pm 

I think also execution played a big part in that scene/line going to far. Sure, the Doctor poo-poo'ed it straight away but when you have had an entire season of the Doctor going from 'Village Idiot' in one episode to 'Calm-Brainiac' in one to Spoiled Child the next you loose faith in what he is saying is actually the case. The idea hung there for most of the rest of the episode, with that doubt and unease growing in peoples minds. To be honest, it wasn't exactly spelt out that it was just "The Master" tricking people into deleting their emotions and feelings. If the scene had ended with that line hanging in the air for a moment to let the horror gestate in peoples minds before immediately revealing it is a ploy for some unknown reason then maybe the impact would not have been so troubling for most. But, yes, it did seem like Moffatt just trying for another glib, impact phrase to add to his new book "1001 Great but Shallow One Liners Written by Moi".

Forest of Cringeworthy- Has Doctor Who ever tackled running away from home/child abduction/missing children (delete whichever you believe wasn't the case)? To be honest it didn't really occur to me that there would be any offence to that scene as it was just so poor and ambiguous it might as well have been cut for all importance it had for that story.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:03 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Shouldn't we look on Mary Whitehouse a bit more kindly given all the scandals at the BBC from her time that have only come out recently? The BBC needed better oversight then and still needs better oversight now.

Their response to this complaint is a good example. If people are upset it is not because the BBC is insensitive, it is because the people complaining are too stupid to understand the plot. Nice bit of victim blaming.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:05 pm 

oops - wrong thread

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:42 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

10 Things You May Not Know About Dark Water:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... dark-water

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 133 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5