It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 283 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Fleet Captain Roak wrote:
While I like Kris Marshall in comedic roles , I can't really see myself taking him seriously as the Doctor ?

Umm... Jon "Navy Lark / Carry On" Pertwee
Double Umm... Sylvester "ferret up the trousers" McCoy

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Of Mars wrote:
Fleet Captain Roak wrote:
While I like Kris Marshall in comedic roles , I can't really see myself taking him seriously as the Doctor ?

Umm... Jon "Navy Lark / Carry On" Pertwee
Double Umm... Sylvester "ferret up the trousers" McCoy

Let's not forget Hartnell was best know for comedy in The Army Game/Carry On Sergeant. And Peter Davison was doing two other sitcoms at the same time as Doctor Who run as well as being thought of as Tristan from All Creatures. Although in the latter case a lot of people say they had trouble with him because of that when they first watched, including our current showrunner, so it is understandable).

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

hammard wrote:
Let's not forget Hartnell was best know for comedy in The Army Game/Carry On Sergeant. And Peter Davison was doing two other sitcoms at the same time as Doctor Who run as well as being thought of as Tristan from All Creatures. Although in the latter case a lot of people say they had trouble with him because of that when they first watched, including our current showrunner, so it is understandable).

Indeed so my marmalade sandwhich eating bear, and as was of course Peter "sweary" Capaldi himself. However looking at it from today, I always consider that Peter Davison was the most well known of all the 12. This is why I state that the role is not as "actor proof" as the cliche says. I mean it wasn't because of Peter D's being in comedy, but because he was prominent before and during the series that some may have had issues with him. Of course there are other reasons that didn't help him, but he was good enough actor to make his take one of the more accessible (without Adric!).

It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:05 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Marshall has done some drama though as well and to be blunt is a bit anodyne

I just don't see a Dr there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:21 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I'd love to see Tom Mison from Sleepy Hollow as The Doctor. Think he'd be fantastic in the role.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:13 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

You can now take your pick of two 'next Doctors' often within the same paper. Here's the latest:

Spoiler:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-cult-comedy-star-10417313

My reading is that the Beeb are genuinely torn between conservatism (small c) so as not to risk people switching off and with shaking things up so their choice has polarised down to two candidates. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one then the other.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Kang the Conqueror wrote:
You can now take your pick of two 'next Doctors' often within the same paper. Here's the latest:

Spoiler:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-cult-comedy-star-10417313

My reading is that the Beeb are genuinely torn between conservatism (small c) so as not to risk people switching off and with shaking things up so their choice has polarised down to two candidates. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one then the other.

I'm not sure this is entirely news, more olds really as I've seen her name before listed.

I see this playing out like this: Peter Capaldi IS the Doctor until the end of the Christmas episode. Chris Chibnall starts with a new one afresh for his series next year.

If we have a regeneration it's going to be either a refresh of Capaldi's Doctor or he bows out for a while as an interim Doctor takes his place, like a Cho Ji/Watcher thing, until the Capaldi Doctor is fixed. For all we know that could be the Kris Marshall stuff we've been hearing. Whatever, Peter will be the actual Doctor at Christmas and the real transition will take place then.

As for the BBC... rock and hard place time there I'm afraid. They could go with another Doctor like previous lot, or they could shake it up. If they shake it up and that move proves unpopular with the viewers then they are kinda stuffed and may choose to do a hatchet job like TCB to McCoy. :frown:

Equally they may stick with a traditional Doctor and that could prove unpopular. :frown:

What we do know (with a saltyness applied) is that up until now Peter Capaldi's Doctor hasn't been viewed as successful as the two previous actors. There have been plenty of reports that suggest that, even prior to Chibnall's announcement as next showrunner, the BBC High Council of ProgrammingLords wanted "another Tennant".

They're [the BBC] getting a lot of pressure to "be progressive with casting" of the next Doctor, though it's not definite whether this pressure is coming from the programmes actual viewership or whether it's coming from pressure groups online, who may or may not actually watch but feel compelled to stick their nose in anyway.

I honestly doubt the children care either way and they (along with parents) are most likely the core target audience. Not old fans, not nerds, not SJWs, not traditionalists.

What I would do (though it's probably a little late in the day now) is go for the interim Doctor idea. Have Peter Capaldi's Doctor semi-split into a watcher type while his old body can recover. Have this Watcher be the new progressive choice and see how the audience actually takes to it. If it's popular then have them [PC and watcher] merge at Christmas like the end of Logopolis and into a fully fledged incarnation.

If it's not and there's an (unlikely) backlash or ratings drop then you can back out at Christmas and say that you tested the audience reception, found it unfavourable and cast your second choice "traditional" Doctor figure.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Two more candidates!

Spoiler:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-12/luke-treadaway-is-in-the-race-to-become-the-next-doctor-who

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Prediction for part 3 of this middle of series 3-parter.

From the next time trailer, did anyone else think it looks like rewrite of 'Wedding of Riversong'?
The coming up trailer after episode 1 (I think) had the clip that looks like the Dr regenerating - I have a sneaky feeling it could be from 'Lie of the Land' - which will be some sort of alternate Earth and the only way to resolve it will be Bill "killing" the Dr and therefore que the red-herring regeneration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Did anyone see the Popbitch Gossip today?

Spoiler:
Pearl Mackie has been hugely popular with fans as the Doctor's new sidekick on Doctor Who, but behind the scenes? Not so much.

Perhaps she's too focused on delivering a good performance on screen, but Pearl just seems to forget her manners on set. Her behaviour was described by various members of the cast and crew as ranging from "grossly rude" to "eye-wateringly rude" – and she also spent a fair bit of time giving unrequested lectures on acting to the Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi.

Of course, Capaldi won't have to deal with it any longer as he's not coming back next series. But if the rumours going around are correct, neither will she.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:46 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

davevank wrote:

Spoiler:
Pearl Mackie has been hugely popular with fans as the Doctor's new sidekick on Doctor Who, but behind the scenes? Not so much.

Perhaps she's too focused on delivering a good performance on screen, but Pearl just seems to forget her manners on set. Her behaviour was described by various members of the cast and crew as ranging from "grossly rude" to "eye-wateringly rude" – and she also spent a fair bit of time giving unrequested lectures on acting to the Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi.

Of course, Capaldi won't have to deal with it any longer as he's not coming back next series. But if the rumours going around are correct, neither will she.

Interestingly I recall similar rumours with Freema Agyeman (and from people I trust quite well). If it's true I wonder if it's a case of being a bit star struck and she'll even out.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

davevank wrote:

Spoiler:

Hmmm. Sounds like the old story about Matthew Waterhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

File under speculation.

So. In DWM this month (cybermen or ice warrior cover) there is a preview of some of the later episodes. In one, the cybermen one, Missy apparently introduces herself as "Doctor Who".

I'm only mentioning this as the ship crashed into the dock in "Lie of the Land" the Doctor looked rather mad as it smashed into the dock, and there was Missy laughing overlaid.

Now, I'm not saying Missy is the Doctor or whatever BUT I do wonder if much of this series is another copout and is all a story or still a simulation?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:06 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Perdide wrote:
Now, I'm not saying Missy is the Doctor or whatever BUT I do wonder if much of this series is another copout and is all a story or still a simulation?
Or maybe "Missy" will take over the Dr's body for a short time.

SPECULATION OF OF MARS:
According to the tag-line for the finale (11 & 12) the Dr witnesses the death of a friend. The question is who?
* Nardole (again) - hoep not.
* Bill - possibly, but after Clara's pathetic exit in series 9, I'm inclined to say that Bill won't die (Moffat repeating himself... never) - and I do mean won't die, even in a Moffat non-death way.
* Missy - most likely
As the snooze-fest of the Missy arc has been unsubtly about that she wants to be "good", it will culminate in her "death".

However, as we know John Simm is involved alongside Gomez (according to Moffat), and the expectation is an on screen Simm to Gomez regeneration (to further Moffat's agenda of making Moffat great again) how will that fit into the above?

These possibilities spring to mind (I hope it makes sense):
* Gomez - flashback Simm to Gomez (not together) - Missy "dies"
* Gomez & Simm together - flashback Simm to Gomez - Missy "dies"
* Simm after 'End Time' - Simm to Gomez / later \ Gomez, Missy "dies"
* Simm & Gomez together - Simm to Gomez / later \ Missy "dies"
* Gomez, Missy "dies" - lots of crying from Dr - Missy de-generates to Simm

There is another option(s) that I believe Perdide alluded to at some point, and that is Moffat's FU to the Master - by screwing with continuity (AGAIN)
* Gomez before the Simm of 'Utopia' - ie between the great Derek Jacobi and Mr Simm
* Gomez to Jacobi
* Simm to Gomez before the "resurrection" of the Time War Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:20 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I did allude to Moffat moffing continuity again but it seems to me that a real FU would be one of these:

Missy being before the events of Utopia so effectively coming in between Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi. This would make sense in that the old "Bruce" body was probably destroyed, the Missy one acquired and IF she dies, is reborn as Yana with all knowledge of past Mastery removed.

Or just for a huge clusterFU, to Continuity Simm's master could kill Missy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:59 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ler-bridge

I wouldn't mind this other than the fact that I hate the thought of people at the Guardian being happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Not going to happen. She's in the Han Solo film, writing, producing and showrunning Killing Eve and has essentially broken America. There are a lot bigger fish than the BBC (even than BBC America) taking notice if her and she'd be a fool to turn them down.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:04 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/05/is-this-the-new-face-of-doctor-who-phoebe-waller-bridge
I wouldn't mind this other than the fact that I hate the thought of people at the Guardian being happy.

Tao wrote:
Not going to happen. She's in the Han Solo film, writing, producing and showrunning Killing Eve and has essentially broken America. There are a lot bigger fish than the BBC (even than BBC America) taking notice if her and she'd be a fool to turn them down.

I would agree with Tao - short of saying "not" - in that this is a non-story, made by editors of Newsnight having a lark and hoping to get a bit of publicity, which has succeeded.

One of many things I hope Moffat is not going to do in the Christmas episode is spend some or all of it as an extended Romana style regeneration. Maybe he has lined up some of the names we have heard as being definite and given them 10 minutes as "what body shall I choose - let's give them all a try out". Therefore if say Pheobe Waller is one Moffat can say he DID cast a female.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Tao wrote:

That's assuming that being in the Han Solo film is a good thing. And I think that being the first female Doctor would be bigger than being third Wookie or whatever anyway :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

That's assuming that being in the Han Solo film is a good thing. And I think that being the first female Doctor would be bigger than being third Wookie or whatever anyway

The clip wasn't even a new clip, it was from over a month ago, and PW-B's "people" have issue a firm denial - well they would wouldn't they.

In other exciting news I have just seen that the Christmas special (overuse of the word special) will be titled "The Doctor's".
Bet it took months to come up with that title. It might just be the working title and subject to change as it is only July, but obviously it wouldn't have been called "The Two Doctors", though that would have been amusing to have had 2 stories called "The Two Doctors", or perhaps "The 2 Doctors" just to be different.

Other potential titles could be:
    Oh No, Not Again
    Continuity Fuck
    Defeated and Inglorious
    Languor
    Regeneration Means Regeneration
    Twelfth Night
    Twelfth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I'd go with "The Four Doctors". ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 pm 

New doctor to be announced after the Wimbledon final on Sunday.

You heard it here first - it's Andy Murray!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Catbus wrote:
New doctor to be announced after the Wimbledon final on Sunday.

You heard it here first - it's Andy Murray!

Enough Scots already, time for a Swiss Doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Wait, what? Andy Murray to regenerate? That'll sort out his hip problems at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Tao wrote:
Wait, what? Andy Murray to regenerate? That'll sort out his hip problems at least.

Yes he'll regenerate into Tim Henman.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Perdide wrote:
Tao wrote:

Yes he'll regenerate into Tim Henman.

Ugh, disappointing casting decision. :longwink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/brad ... o-11028647

Probably a good idea to keep a pinch of salt handy but good news if true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:25 pm 

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who ... -episodes/

According to The Mirror (via Digital Spy where I read it) season 11 will be 10 episodes long at 60 minutes each.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Wee Little Puppet Man wrote:
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a840174/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-series-11-fewer-longer-episodes/

According to The Mirror (via Digital Spy where I read it) season 11 will be 10 episodes long at 60 minutes each.

I suspect, as others do, that this will actually be one long 10 part story. Chibnell has stated in the past that he wanted to do something different and shake up the format. This looks like his shaking.

Technically it’s more minutes too, 600mins as opposed to 585 for the 13x45min series or 540 for the 12x45min series.

The only downside is that is looks a lot less because of the number of episodes.

Technically a series of 5 2hr specials would be the same run length but I could see people being dissatisfied with that as it’d look like a cautious move by the BBC. This 10x1hr is a halfway house looking but actually longer running move.

So for those worrying about the number of episodes, don’t. For those enthusiastically clapping over the extra minutes, wait and see what the story/ies is/are.

After all if we get something akin to the lacklustre, poorly linked “Monks Trilogy” I’d rather that they did five unique stories instead!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Just thought I'd stick this in here in case anyone missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:35 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Alan Cumming has been cast as King James I of England (also James VI of Scotland) in Jodie Whittaker’s first season as the Doctor.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 283 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next