Shiny Ascended Being 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
A good soul and EEG at 1.1Hz 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
BP 120/80, 60bpm, looking okay 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Going Tachy..Get the paddles! 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
____________________________ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:17 pm 

glunark wrote:
As for how did he know how to drive a train?

Maybe stealing a train is why he was doing community service in the first place.

Nah, it was well noted that he was a graffiti artist who got caught.

Maybe it was just me, but tiny, siege-mode TARDIS bought to mind a blue version of the Hellraiser puzzle box.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:24 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

mozz wrote:
Now I have a mental image of Fourth Planet sat at the end of the platform, in his anorak, on his deckchair, with a flask of luck warm lemon drink and a notepad, getting annoyed that the 13:47 from Euston is four minutes late...

Are you saying he's the embodiment of Whizzkid from "Greatest Show in the Galaxy"?

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

mozz wrote:
Now I have a mental image of Fourth Planet sat at the end of the platform, in his anorak, on his deckchair, with a flask of luck warm lemon drink and a notepad, getting annoyed that the 13:47 from Euston is four minutes late...

Ha-ha... Try warm coffee and not lemon and you're spot on. Seriously though, I am not a train spotter and if I was I would say so - there ain't anything wrong with that hobby. However, I do know enough to know that this wasn't authentic. If it was football, I woulld be none the wiser - say, if the story was set in 1990 and one of the characters was a football fan but was wearing a strip that came out in 2010 - but I would hope that the production peoples would have taken time to find out what strip was worn when. It is the same sort of thing.

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:30 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Of Mars wrote:
Ha-ha... Try warm coffee and not lemon and you're spot on. Seriously though, I am not a train spotter and if I was I would say so - there ain't anything wrong with that hobby. However, I do know enough to know that this wasn't authentic. If it was football, I woulld be none the wiser - say, if the story was set in 1990 and one of the characters was a football fan but was wearing a strip that came out in 2010 - but I would hope that the production peoples would have taken time to find out what strip was worn when. It is the same sort of thing.

Never, ever, ever listen to any of the music played in any period drama, or period episodes in Who (and other timetravelling shows). It is infuriating when something so minor can be so easily researched, but everyone focusses on the clothes and forgets everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:01 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Well its not like someone say, using an AK47 at the very end of time is it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

At least by then it has been invented

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm 

Richard wrote:
I really hated Clara in this one.

The Doctor acting like a powerless whingeing child too. :(

Care to elaborate the whys and whats?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am 

yeah, I thought they got the balance about right this time.
Certainly didn't see the Doctor as a whinging child

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Trumpetmike wrote:
Never, ever, ever listen to any of the music played in any period drama, or period episodes in Who (and other timetravelling shows). It is infuriating when something so minor can be so easily researched, but everyone focusses on the clothes and forgets everything else.

That is just as annoying. Has there been any specific recent examples, in WHO and other things?

Another thought has occured to me, which is unrelated to the above. The episode was about 2-dimensional beings, but there was also some blabber that they were from a different dimension. That is fine, they can be both. Now I am not a quantum-physics expert, so if anyone is maybe you can help with this quandry? [Also forgive the rambley nature of this explanation]

The fact is that our three-dimensions are: width (left & right), depth (back & forth) and height (up & down). I was under the impression that two dimensions would be minus one of those, i.e. depth. In this case the being woud be vertically flat to anyone looking at it direct - if the being was the same outline as a human, then it would be like a full size cardboard cut-out. So this means you woudn't see it from the side.

Basically, what I am getting at is that the 2-dimensional beings in the episode did operate on all of those 3 axis, but maybe only 2 at a time as they were confined to the walls and floors. As I said before a 2-dimensional object could, in theory, exist in the same space as us and not be limited in that way - just as the TARDIS does - but the being cannot comprehend us and our 3rd dimension.

That is where it gets interesting, because altough it was alluded to in the episode with the TARDIS exterior shrinking, this gives us the best (but missed oppurtunity for an) explanation of how the Dr's time-machine is bigger on the inside then the outside - and what is more it is not all that far from the classic and often shown conversation between the Fourth and Leela, when he asks which box is bigger. The reason we don't quite see with its fourth dimensions is because although we are aware of it, we can't actually see it in its real shape because we don't have that ability - which perhaps the Time Lords gained.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, then believe the late great Carl Sagan...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WjV6MmCyM

It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

The 4th dimension is surely time - lenth, breadth, height, duration

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 am 
Demi-goddess

Basileus wrote:

Filth. :gasp:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
Basileus wrote:

Filth would be the 5th dimension, especially in some of the less-well-travelled corners of Offtopica2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:21 pm 

The fifth dimension would be probability, in as much as we can ascribe an English word to such a thing - Matter doesn't so much exist per se so much as it's more probable that it does exist than doesn't.

Anyway - Flatline. A great example of what is wrong with Moffat's idea of compressed storytelling. the Doctor - or, ideally, Clara - should have found a way to rescue the deceased. It come to something when the man who brought us "Just this once, everybody lives!" - one of the most glorious moments from the first season, now brings us "Yet again, everybody dies" purely because there isn't the time in an episode to save them. Everything just rattles along at 120mph, and nothing makes any sense. There's no consequences, no responsibility. One wave of the magic wand, err, sonic screwdriver and everything's fixed.

This series must have the highest body count of any NuWho season yet. Perhaps that what they meant by "dark" - but a better word for it would be "lazy writing". Wonder if they're all going to end up in Missy's Promised Land?

:EvilMonkey:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

mozz wrote:
Now I have a mental image of Fourth Planet sat at the end of the platform, in his anorak, on his deckchair, with a flask of luck warm lemon drink * and a notepad, getting annoyed that the 13:47 from Euston is four minutes late...

Here’s hoping he’s never seen the Asylum’s Sherlock Holmes film…..it has a CGI American train complete with cow-catcher pulling up at a London train station.

(If anyone hasn’t seen it, I cannot recommend it highly enough….it is brilliant. No really.)

*p.s. isn't it 'weak lemon drink'? Or am I now being the pedant? :bigsmile:

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm 

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
Basileus wrote:

No JJ, that's the fifth dimension of Offtopica.

And the favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:53 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Curious Orange wrote:
The fifth dimension would be probability, in as much as we can ascribe an English word to such a thing - Matter doesn't so much exist per se so much as it's more probable that it does exist than doesn't.

Anyway - Flatline. A great example of what is wrong with Moffat's idea of compressed storytelling. the Doctor - or, ideally, Clara - should have found a way to rescue the deceased. It come to something when the man who brought us "Just this once, everybody lives!" - one of the most glorious moments from the first season, now brings us "Yet again, everybody dies" purely because there isn't the time in an episode to save them. Everything just rattles along at 120mph, and nothing makes any sense. There's no consequences, no responsibility. One wave of the magic wand, err, sonic screwdriver and everything's fixed.

This series must have the highest body count of any NuWho season yet. Perhaps that what they meant by "dark" - but a better word for it would be "lazy writing". Wonder if they're all going to end up in Missy's Promised Land?

:EvilMonkey:

This is a bit contradictory. Moffatt as a Showrunner is fairly light on death certainly compared to the RTD years and is practically a saint compared to the classic show. I was quite impressed that this was a. Return to the scarier show I've actually missed. The whole point of the Everybidy lives moment is that it's rare for the Doctor to win. They could have easily made the Doctor scene a reversal of the alien process - they chose not to. The Doctor's adventures have consequences which I think was the point of this story. I don't think that was lazy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:36 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
I'd liked to have seen how The Doctor could've saved that WPC seeing as how her entire nervous system was painted on the wall of that flat!

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
5 stars from me, this was absolutely cracking and original material, great gags (sight and verbal), Clara's face when a lump hammer suddenly protrudes from her handbag is priceless, great thrills. The miniaturising TARDIS was genius. (If there aren't little 4 foot play TARDIS's out by Christmas someone is missing a trick there) The visuals were arresting, end 3d version of the beasties were great. Best episode yet this season in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

second episode in a row that I have enjoyed and even though it was the Doctor Lite episode and Capaldi stopped to get a haircut halfway through I found him playing the Doctor once again in fact my only 2 annoyances were Addams Family TARDIS (to silly) and Sledghammer from handbag

the rest of it was great this momentum needs to continue and Capaldi needs to keep this persona not the CSD personality of the first 7 episodes

Could Missy actually be Miss C as in Miss Clara ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I really enjoyed this. Nice visuals and a properly creepy baddy. Particularly liked the use of perspective tricks to make people & things suddenly 2D.

As a criticism, did guess how they would power up the TARDIS (Not the drawing, but the basic methodology) There was also a bit of "Voyage of the Damned" in the "Wrong people survive"

The "Sonic cures everything" I actually took as the Doctor using the TARDIS' weapons or abilities with the sonic as a remote. It looked like the Shields were holding them back after all. Loved his speech as well and I liked the idea that Clara, who has been very critical of the Doctor's choices this series now has a small insight into his life.

Re-the CG train. I imagine they couldn't use a real one running because being in a tunnel when a train is running is really dangerous. I'm guessing the actual filming was on a disused or heritage stretch of line (Or there was special permission. Something I'm quite interested in working on the railway is how they would film on a live section of line (Not with trains running but coudl they film in line blockages (Where we block the line but it is understood you will get clear and give up the block when a train is due) my guess at heritage is probably why an incorrect train was used. The physical train they use was probably from the same heritage stock so the CG model would have been taken from that, but I agree, they should look into things like that. Guessing the budget didn't stretch to re-painting the train to a modern operator's colour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 pm 

4/5 - I did like that.

Bets on a sequel featuring the Boneless?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Knappos wrote:
4/5 - I did like that.

Bets on a sequel featuring the Boneless?

Almost certainly. They barely scratched the surface of the potential.
They may be newly 3D, but they need to learn it

How do the Boneless learn about climbing over a wall to get away. A first an obstical, then a learning oportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 am 

That was okay. Entertaining in parts...a bit childish slapstick in others but fair enough.

As others have mentioned, it did seem odd that the episode where Clara was supposedly front and centre turned out to be the episode where she acted more like a 'helping the Doctor do stuff' companion than she ever has before.

I was disappointed that the enemy weren't simpy unaware of the havoc they were causing. Aside from that it was solid predictable fun. Possibly the first episode of this series I feel I could watch again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Curious Orange wrote:

I do agree with you Questioning Tangerine but it is hardly as though this was the worst example. 'Kill the Moon's pace was twice that of this - at least.
I think I have said it before, but whilst it is nice to see some death in WHO (I have been asking for it the last 3 years), but the problem is; I don't believe any of it is real.
* Firstly, due to the Nadgersphere arc, that we have seen right from 'Deep Breath' onwards.
* Secondly, most of the "deaths" (though I haven't done a survey) have been via something - who is to say the Mummy or the 2d beings didn't transport the "dead" somewhere.
* Thirdly, in what way can there be any dramatic justification in Moffat's Universe, when it can be rebooted at the drop of a Fez?
I can go on and on...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:37 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

In regards to the 120mph bit - yeah, I've been saying this for ages, the stories they want to write and the time available to tell them in don't gel too well. This debates been done numerous times now. I still think that the "EPIC storyline in 45 minutes" doesn't work 90% of the time and leaves us with inconsistencies and cop out endings.

Perhaps they should slow down and tell more concise stories if the time slot cannot be expanded or if it can, why not got to Sherlock style episodes and have your epic story hit 100 minutes? Just maybe have 6-7 rather than 12-13.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

PieMan70 wrote:
Re-the CG train. I imagine they couldn't use a real one running because being in a tunnel when a train is running is really dangerous. I'm guessing the actual filming was on a disused or heritage stretch of line (Or there was special permission. Something I'm quite interested in working on the railway is how they would film on a live section of line (Not with trains running but coudl they film in line blockages (Where we block the line but it is understood you will get clear and give up the block when a train is due) my guess at heritage is probably why an incorrect train was used. The physical train they use was probably from the same heritage stock so the CG model would have been taken from that, but I agree, they should look into things like that. Guessing the budget didn't stretch to re-painting the train to a modern operator's colour.

There is a normal line that goes from Cardiff to Barry Island, that I think has a tunnel - I don't think it would have been beyond their influence to have used it for a morning for the exterior shots.
I am pretty certain the rest + the DMU was from the 'Barry Island Tourist Railway', which is a couple of miles down from Cardiff. They went there for the railway yard scenes in 'Empty Child / Doctor Dances'. I've not been to it, and I don't think the line is overly long, but there is an old tunnel with no track (as far as I know) heading towards an old causeway, which I think they will have shot some of the interior scenes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Another one that I really enjoyed!

The main thing I liked about it was how Clara is getting caught up in lying to Danny and the Doctor about each other. It is gonna be interesting to see the resolution to it all, even if I'm not a fan of how Danny has been written. Especially how it is going to tie in with Missy. Ignore the following if you don't want to read a bit more about me not liking Danny:
Spoiler:
I think if they'd down-tuned Danny's patronising speech the other week to merely "I still can shake the feeling that there's more to this than you having fun with a mate. You're putting yourself in danger, you've got to know that" or something of that feel, I think it would have played out much better and we could have still got to this point.

Am I the only one who saw the Siege TARDIS cube and thought of The Lament Configuration from Hellraiser? Cenobites aren't demons, they are just evil sexytimes Time Lords who even give the Master the wiggins!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 pm 

Robin the Ripper wrote:
Am I the only one who saw the Siege TARDIS cube and thought of The Lament Configuration from Hellraiser? Cenobites aren't demons, they are just evil sexytimes Time Lords who even give the Master the wiggins!

Nope, not just you.

mozz wrote:
Maybe it was just me, but tiny, siege-mode TARDIS bought to mind a blue version of the Hellraiser puzzle box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

10 Things You May Not Know About Flatline:
www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2018/07/ ... t-flatline

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3