Fair 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Not so good 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Bad 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:01 pm 
Demi-goddess

Trumpetmike wrote:
Tao wrote:
So, so much Tom Baker in Capaldi's talking to himself bit, worthy of Jon Culshaw with a bit of added Scottish accent.

Nah - Capaldi doing Tom Baker could be funny, Jon Culshaw has done that one so often it has lost all appeal.

Very glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought of Tom Baker through a lot of this - and that is a GOOD thing.

So much this. Someone up thread mentioned Fang Rock. And YES. It's a shame that as good as Clara was in this story, she will never be Leela, especially not Leela in Fang Rock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:21 am 

An episode carried by PC

Jelly babies YAAAY

The mummy was fun. Especially liked his hand going through thr Doctors head.

I like this Doctors attitude about people he can't save. No sad "SO SO SORRY" from this old fella

Frank Skinner was very good. More of him soon I hope.

The story was a little slight, and I was very dissapointed to see Clara at the start. Not for an intense dislike of Clara, but just for how it completely took any impact out of last weeks rant.

And Clara and Danny are back to square one, where she will be lying about not travelling with the Doctor again.
Sadly I can't bring myself to care about this.

So this was fair for me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Welcome, do make yourself comfortable.

Last week's trailer was edited to make it look like Clara was not in it then, so at least Perdide's devaluation lasted a week rather than 30 seconds.

Ok folks, double-take time. I did not mind this episode - compared with the previous however many. This doesn't mean I will be exclaiming sweet nothings into Moffat's ear any time soon, nor stand on top of the Great Pyramid of Giza and proclaim this to be the most awsomest best eva episode in evaness. It was just a tadpole bit better than what we have had so far this series. Oh there was lots in it to irk me and so many Moffat tropes, it is odd that in fact it wasn't written by him.

The pre-title was not a bad start and the Mummy design was nice, but it was straight out of the Moffat school of how monsters behave. That singer was hardly in it, so why? I thought the "flapper" look suited Jenna. Skinner was alright, but we need less people off-of the tele, as its only a matter of time before we get Alan Carr or - I shudder to say it - Jack Whitehall.

A spaceship built to look like the Titanic ocean liner, for some sort-of alien nostalgia tourist trip, I can believe. I did not believe in this train in space - just coz it was cool - for one moment. It looked daft snaking away for no reason. Even less, that it was actually steaming away and making clickety-clack of a train pulling carriages over sleepers.
What a useless bunch of experts - apparrantly including Einstein and Karl Marx. When the Dr says he is “surrounded by idiots”, Perkins should have replied "nope they're just extras, not paid to do anything but stand around".
Since when would the Dr say "tech" rather than technology? I cringed when he said "Are you my Mummy", but not as bad as when the Tenth said it once.

Clara's rant (apart from having no value in the first place) was lost as soon as she exited the TARDIS - complete with her ususal "bouncey perky 6th former on a field-trip" normality. I thought Capaldi was good in this with his Andy Serkis / Gollum conversation and a couple of other scenes. It was better paced than the previous few episodes, and there was probably more death in this than in the previous 3 seasons put together. The "we surrender" was laughably rubbish, but at least Clara didn't think of it!

So if it was done better (awful ending) this should have been the 2nd episode (minus Clara leaving plot) to flesh out a difference rather than the forced situation of the dalek story. What I mean is, the Dr was just a tiny bit more believable in what he did and why in this, than in the other stories so far.

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:10 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
And it really looks as if there is more going on - and I don't mean Missy. Although if it does turn out Missy is solely behind Gus I will be slightly disappointed.

Frank Skinner's character was interesting. Wasn't too sure if he was too good to be true or if there was something else going on there as well. Him poking around the bottom of the console and the Doctor's invitation to join seemed a bit undercurrenty.

Sorry, I'm just going to come back to this. But yes, I think this is definitely setting up for Missy. There's this mystery over the woman who gave Clara the TARDIS phone number. We assume that's Missy. This computer rang the TARDIS. The attitude of the Gus computer was similar to Addison in Paradise, plus it blew itself up when the Doctor tried to hack in.

It was odd that onboard there was equipment meant to prolong life, plus a Mummy thing that was designed to siphon off life, which they so desperately wanted the Doctor to investigate. Plus it could teleport and was only visible to those about to die.

The Skinner character is intriguing because he's obviously disguised as an engine driver, or similar crew, and has been investigating things for quite some time. Plus the Doctor is comfortable enough with him to have him poking around the TARDIS console. He kinda reminds me of Drax (I think that's his name, the cockney TL friend in Armageddon Factor). I'm not saying it is him, just that he reminds me of him. I also think he was an engineer or something. Also Skinner (forgot the characters name) seems to recognise parts of the TARDIS console and suggest replacing them. Other than a TL, who would know what they are? Plus the odd line about it would take so long and you'd be a different man after...

All theories but still, it's why I think this was as much setting up stuff for later as being an independent story in its own right.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:14 am 

This was another solid episode with a lot of nice touches. I didn't mind the quick return of Clara, it explained that time had passed between episodes, no-one seemed as offended when there was a year passed in the space of an episode and Clara's mood was suitably uncertain for the majority of the episode.

The mummy was very well realised and suitably creepy, that bit where it's hand went through The Doctor's head was particularly freaky. It may have been a very Moffat monster, only those about to die can see it, but when they are used this well it would be churlish to complain too much about about the concept. Between The Foretold and Gus there was quite a bodycount this week and yet thankfully no Missy appearance.

Loved the talking to himself scene and the jelly babies in the cigarette case. These little touches of past incarnations are testament to Capaldi's acting and understanding of the character.

Thank god Frank Skinner wasn't another turd comedian casting like peter kay/ catherine tate/ james corden. His character had an interesting feel and a real sense of intrigue and potential. Unlike Foxes who's purpose was what precisely? To do a bad cover version of a crap song.

Was a bit letdown by the secret of The Foretold, some kind of unknown soldier cyborg type thing, enough with the robots this season, I know it's all probably tied into the Cybermen return by season's end somehow and it is slightly less annoying than oh look Missy but still. We've had some interesting tonally and stylistically different episodes so it's disappointing that so many enemies have been so similar. Who is Gus and is he tied into the Missy mythos, hopefully that'll be explained sooner rather than drawn out.

On a slightly unnecessary note, I really liked Clara's look this episode, I believe the street parlance is she looked damn hot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Perdide wrote:
It was odd that onboard there was equipment meant to prolong life, plus a Mummy thing that was designed to siphon off life, which they so desperately wanted the Doctor to investigate. Plus it could teleport and was only visible to those about to die.

The equipment to prolong life was just the old lady's chair that was keeping her alive in her 100's. I don't think it really impacted on the story apart from highlighting the fact that she didn't die naturaly.

Not commenting on any of your other points, but I think you've given this more significance than it needs.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Tao wrote:
The equipment to prolong life was just the old lady's chair that was keeping her alive in her 100's. I don't think it really impacted on the story apart from highlighting the fact that she didn't die naturaly.

Not commenting on any of your other points, but I think you've given this more significance than it needs.

Yes, you're probably right and I'm misremembering the significance of that device.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:29 am 
Demi-goddess

Perdide wrote:
The Skinner character is intriguing because he's obviously disguised as an engine driver, or similar crew, and has been investigating things for quite some time. Plus the Doctor is comfortable enough with him to have him poking around the TARDIS console. He kinda reminds me of Drax (I think that's his name, the cockney TL friend in Armageddon Factor). I'm not saying it is him, just that he reminds me of him. I also think he was an engineer or something. Also Skinner (forgot the characters name) seems to recognise parts of the TARDIS console and suggest replacing them. Other than a TL, who would know what they are? Plus the odd line about it would take so long and you'd be a different man after...

You might be right, but I think it's important to note that while Perkins was dressed as an engine driver from the 1920s to fit with the theme, he's actually an engineer (chief engineer?) of a space train. It's like having Scotty, Geordi or Chief O'Brien in the episode. Either of those three men would have investigated dodgy stuff going on on their ship and would recognise advanced technology - even though TARDISes are TL tech, they'll have parts that are at minimum analogous to other advanced space craft.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:56 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
and would recognise advanced technology - even though TARDISes are TL tech, they'll have parts that are at minimum analogous to other advanced space craft.

Let's not forget Pirate Captains from 17th century Earth can also understand TARDISes and fly spaceships. He should have no problem :bigsmile:

Random thought I was having. Professor Moorhouse states the time it takes for The Foretold to kill is "the number of evil, twiceover", yet (in my limited knowledges of mythology) 6 and 33 are often considered divine numbers. So i wondered if the reference is actually a bit meta:
The 6th Doctor is often considered the nasty one, 12 is 6 twice over , aka Capaldi
The mummy is supposed to be like The Doctor in his nature as a soldier who doesn't to be one.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

That's definitely a Tom impression!!

Really impressed by this one. Capaldi plays unlikeable and likeable on a spin of a coin. So impressive - I am wondering though long term what type of companion suits this Doctor better

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 am 

I read the review on SFX. They don't have a clue.

This was Doctor Who at its best. 5 stars.

So many great lines and I want Frank Skinner's character in the Tardis for a few episodes please. Bring him back!

I am thrilled that Clara is still in love with the Doctor. It isn't creepy after all, just touching. But I worry she is heading for a fall.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:18 am 

Richard wrote:
I read the review on SFX. They don't have a clue.

This was Doctor Who at its best. 5 stars.

So many great lines and I want Frank Skinner's character in the Tardis for a few episodes please. Bring him back!

I am thrilled that Clara is still in love with the Doctor. It isn't creepy after all, just touching. But I worry she is heading for a fall.

She isn't in love with him, she's in love with the life he provides her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:06 am 

Just watched this episode and it was absolutely great....he is a grumpy Doctor, his colours are finally coming through :bigsmile:

And Clara was delegated to the companion's role....finally.

I enjoyed his wittiness and looniness. And his answer to Clara towards the end, about choices. That was perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

runalong wrote:

I get what you are saying, but impression is probably a disservice to Capaldi.

runalong wrote:
Really impressed by this one. Capaldi plays unlikeable and likeable on a spin of a coin. So impressive - I am wondering though long term what type of companion suits this Doctor better

I actually liked that beach scene - you didn't know which truth he was telling. Personally, I think he would have done. If this Doctor had no morals then he would have just buggered off and let them all die in the first place. The best way to sum it up is a quote from his holiness Colin Baker about what his Doctor was tring to be - he describes him that he would walk over several (human) bodiesto save an injured bird.
Capaldi "goofs" easier than Chris did, but it was a "front" that Dr9 put on some of the time. This incarnation doesn't communicate well and doesn't interact well and doesn't see the individual, and wants to be validated by Clara.
But...
The problem is that with youknowwho in control of the series it is difficult to say that he isn't behaving like this to trap "Missy". And another thing, Moffat will discard something he has established in one episode on a whim in another because he can. You can't build drama on the premise that it was a whim. There is no real dramatic payoff with Moffat - It doesn't matter what we are watching now, because Amy was a clone and then she didn't care about her stolen baby, it was a bubble Universe, Dr was a shapeshifting robot, it was a bedtime story or it was all foretold in a cod-prophecy, we know the outcome because FUTURE which can't be rewritten - except when it can.

Oh and Dr also did that arm rubbing thing again.

It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:17 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

runalong wrote:

A Jamie type companion.
Basically a bloke who he can be grumpy and be sarcastic to without coming over as a sexist Pratt.

Its almost a pity the small glance we have had of Addison seems to display a different type of character, but a variation of his Oliver Reeder to Capaldi's Tucker underlay to 12 might have worked.

Of course that would not be very original at all and be making the series dependent on outside series doing the heavy lifting. It would not be my preferred option. But at this point getting a truly working, firing on all cylinders Doctor/companion relationship is probably more important than faffing around with another variation of "she loves/fancies/admires" him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:23 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Basileus wrote:
Its almost a pity the small glance we have had of Addison seems to display a different type of character, but a variation of his Oliver Reeder to Capaldi's Tucker underlay to 12 might have worked.

How much would I LOVE this?
A full blown Tucker-inspired Doctor!
"You're a Dalek?
I don't fucking care, I've got a fucking screwdriver!"

Can't see it ever happening, but the thought keeps me smiling.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:47 pm 

My first five star episode this series, Capaldi was superb, and like everyone else definitely thought he was channelling Tom Baker when he was talking to himself. And for once the Doctor saved the day!

Skinner's character interested me; wasn't clear as to why he was there after Gus dropped the pretence and revealed the lab, engineer aside, and his presence on the TARDIS was intriguing. Definitely think this one was setting up stuff for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:09 pm 

Paulky wrote:
My first five star episode this series, Capaldi was superb, and like everyone else definitely thought he was channelling Tom Baker when he was talking to himself. And for once the Doctor saved the day!

Skinner's character interested me; wasn't clear as to why he was there after Gus dropped the pretence and revealed the lab, engineer aside, and his presence on the TARDIS was intriguing. Definitely think this one was setting up stuff for the rest of the season.

Maybe Gus is the AI and the Frank Skinner character was the mastermind?

I certainly hope not though. I want him back for a while

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

at last ... finally ... it feels like Dr Who and Capaldi played it like teh Doctor should be and I LOVED his Tom Baker voice the Jelly babies were a lovely touch

The mummy hand going through the Doctors head was almost 3D it was really good

Frank Skinner played his part well and I almost wished that he had stayed in the TARDIS I liked the captain as well but then he is always good in whatever hes in

Why was Clara there I take it that weeks have passed since she last was with the Doc although she was hardly in it and finally it was the Doc who solved it the way it really should be, I am an old fan I like teh Sci fi the mystery the travelling and the TARDIS I dont like the soap opera will they wont they companion stuff

best Capaldi episode to date I really hope this is a sign of things to come

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:36 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Really enjoyed this one. Tom Baker references, brilliant fx, a cracking story and The Doctor being Doctor-y. Great stuff!

Frank Skinner was pretty good too. I did stand-up on the bill with him a couple of times when we were both starting out as comedians (Although his career trajectory was almost the exact opposite of mine! :0)) and I just know he would have loved every second of doing this.

So glad to see Clara back on board at the end.....and she looked lovely in 20's clothing....quite distracted me, it did.

twitter.com/stevehyett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:40 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I am very impressed with the character of Perkins starts sinister but even he calls the Doctor on his callousness. Still not sure what is going on in that scene at the end set up for later or Perkins rejecting the Doctor after what he saw.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:52 am 

runalong wrote:
I am very impressed with the character of Perkins starts sinister but even he calls the Doctor on his callousness. Still not sure what is going on in that scene at the end set up for later or Perkins rejecting the Doctor after what he saw.

And I'd like to find out. Bring back Perkins!!

On reconsideration, I've decided that Clara's change of heart was not a devaluation of last week's storm out but actually a rather excellent, and sad, move after their conversation about 'addiction'. Lying to Danny is not good, and I hope they figure out his character by the time we get to that showdown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:00 am 

Apologies for the Double Post

I can't say for certain as I don't really pay attention to the polls in that much detail but with the poll results and general view vibe it seems the 'Mummy on the Orient Express' is Forum Fave of the Season :madboogie:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:44 am 

First time this series I didn't hate Capaldi's Doctor. Could I pssibly be warming to him??

Couldn't really see the point of Clara being here - she did so little it was hardly worth it, and the episode would have been stronger without her. Still, Jenna looked cute in that bob, so what the hey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:10 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Curious Orange wrote:
First time this series I didn't hate Capaldi's Doctor. Could I pssibly be warming to him??

Same thought here if he had played it like this from the start I would have been won over much sooner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:46 am 

PSN ID: Hirgon_the_hero
Yet again I am bemused by an SFX review. Thought Berrimans review of this episode was harsh for the sake of being harsh, was four to five stars for me.

The episodes plot made the best sense of the series so far, Capaldi is starting to channel Tom Baker so well, he could almost BE Tom Baker (I loved the jelly baby cigarette box) and Frank Skinner proved his acting chops pretty well, being a bit more than the "insert current celeb ubercameo" (eg Corden adn Tate) that Dr Who has relied on too well since the return. It was a welcome return to greatness after the Moon thing, an episode that over a week after it aired STILL feels wrong to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Mr Cairo wrote:

Same thought here if he had played it like this from the start I would have been won over much sooner

We have had flashes but nothing consistent. Whether the problem is they don't know how to get the balance or they are setting things up for a big reveal at the end of the season - who knows.

I fully expect another interpretation of his character next week. Let's hope when this season plays out the writers next year look back and see this take on 12 works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:07 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Have to agree with most on here. The best Nu Who episode for a while. Felt more like 'Classic' Who than anything before hand. I know PC is splitting opinion quite a lot but I love him, much better than Matt Smith IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm 

Mr Speed wrote:
Have to agree with most on here. The best Nu Who episode for a while. Felt more like 'Classic' Who than anything before hand. I know PC is splitting opinion quite a lot but I love him, much better than Matt Smith IMO.

this week yes... but not so much in the last few.
To be fair he hasn't had the chance to shine in The Clara Show

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:25 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Mr Cairo wrote:
Best Capaldi episode to date I really hope this is a sign of things to come

At the moment I expect this will be the exception rather than the rule.

Paulky wrote:
Skinner's character interested me; wasn't clear as to why he was there after Gus dropped the pretence and revealed the lab, engineer aside, and his presence on the TARDIS was intriguing.

There could certainly be a hint that Perkins was there for some reason, and I would have nothing against another appearance by Skinner, but certainly not as a regular let alone companion.

Mr Cairo wrote:
Why was Clara there I take it that weeks have passed since she last was with the Doc although she was hardly in it and finally it was the Doc who solved it the way it really should be, I am an old fan I like teh Sci fi the mystery the travelling and the TARDIS I dont like the soap opera will they wont they companion stuff.

Saying "we surrender" to relieve a Soldier/Mummy is sadly the most active the Doctor has been for a long time, without: Sonic Screwdrover, or superpowers / Clara (+ Sonic leaf) / Amy etc etc... and that is hardly something to get excited by.

Paulky wrote:
Definitely think this one was setting up stuff for the rest of the season.

Seen in isolation no it isn't (in terms of THE MISSY ARC), but viewed with other episodes then yes I'm sure it will be. It doesn't quite get there, but this is almost what my comrade Perdide has been talking about recently - that episodes shouldn't be spoilt by the season's arc. There was no forced scenes of the Doctor scanning an astronaught with an eyepatch to see if it was about to give birth to a crack in the Universe - which is exactly what MISSY [I hate typing that and I don't know why] is as well.

Basileus wrote:
[Peter / 12th] We have had flashes but nothing consistent. Whether the problem is they don't know how to get the balance or they are setting things up...I fully expect another interpretation of his character next week.

I don't think this is down to Peter Capaldi, but rather the narrowness of the portrayal that would have been given to him on the page, and the daftness of the stories so far.

Basileus wrote:
Let's hope when this season plays out the writers next year look back and see this take on 12 works.

Indeed as you say, it means the writing will have to improve - and no gueses as to what I think the only way that can happen will be.
I actually think the opposite happened with Matt, because Season 5 both Moffat and Matt were searching for a way to depict the Dr. I believe that, with the exception of the daft "fish custard" which is clearly Moffat, Matt had more freedom to start with. I think it is obvious that instead of allowing Matt to develop certain traits himself, Moffat saw what "worked" in s5 and wrote that IN to the scripts, thus actually spoiling what could the Eleventh Doctor could have been by allowing Matt to play it his way.

And finally...
Mr Cairo wrote:
at last ... finally ... it feels like Dr Who and Capaldi played it like teh Doctor should be and I LOVED his Tom Baker voice the Jelly babies were a lovely touch

I once had a very daft "fan" theory that it was only the Even numbered Doctors that had a penchant for sweets - Second did it first / then made definitive by Foruth / passing to Sixth at least once / and obviously Eighth offers everyone he met on New Years eve 1999. Sadly this was scuppered by Ten not having any, though he did finger a jam jar once. So with Capaldi having some, my theory could still hold gellatine [not including any continuity that Moffat has forced].

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:20 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Technically 10 is now an odd numbered incarnation.

Notice I didn't say Doctor.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next