What did you think
Great 61%  61%  [ 20 ]
Good 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Fair 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Not so good 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Bad 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:49 pm 

As suggested, a new thread with new poll options. Any (sensible :longwink: ) suggestions for new poll options can be added.

Personally I think it's looking fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:56 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Let's have the trailer in here too, shall we? :bigsmile:

:abducted: [iplayer]<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="http://emp.bbc.co.uk/emp/embed/smpEmbed.html?playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp0282ct7&title=Doctor%20Who%3A%20Series%208%3A%20Mummy%20On%20The%20Orient%20Express%3A%20Doctor%20Who%3A%20Mummy%20on%20the%20Orient%20Express%20-%20Trailer%20-%20'There's%20a%20monster%20on%20this%20train...'&product=iplayer"></iframe>[/iplayer]

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:23 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

The trailer does look good. The mummy especially looks quite well realised.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:59 pm 
Demi-goddess

Interesting premise - sort of like Der Kindestod from Buffy, but for the almost dead rather than poorly kids. Always happy with a Christie-esque murder mystery too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:39 pm 

On the assumption that this is a Clara-lite (OoohOooh, the Clara-lites...) episode, it may well be Capaldi's time to really shine. Hopefully, this is where he truly becomes The Doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:48 am 

I'm just looking forward to a proper whodunnit romp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:35 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

mozz wrote:
On the assumption that this is a Clara-lite (OoohOooh, the Clara-lites...) episode, it may well be Capaldi's time to really shine. Hopefully, this is where he truly becomes The Doctor.

Oddly the Radio Times has her in the cast-list and the synopsis says the Dr takes Clara on the Oreint Express. Personally, I don't believe a word of it.

Perdide wrote:

Et tu Perdide?

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:39 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Of Mars wrote:
mozz wrote:

Oddly the Radio Times has her in the cast-list and the synopsis says the Dr takes Clara on the Oreint Express. Personally, I don't believe a word of it.

Perdide wrote:

Et tu Perdide?

Well I kinda hope she's isn't in it with the Doctor as it would devalue her rant at the end of the last episode, which dramatically would be a bit of a let down, plus I'd rather like to see Capaldi fly without having to pander to her each week like some boss whose got a crush on his young secretary.

Of course she may well be IN the episode, in some scene with Danny that I'll no doubt not care one jot for.

If Missy keeps out if it too it may well be a good 'un!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

SaynaHawk wrote:

If whodunnit it won't be much of a mystery
:angel:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 pm 

Basileus wrote:
SaynaHawk wrote:

If whodunnit it won't be much of a mystery
:angel:

:applaud:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:56 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

66 Seconds:

Introduction:

Last edited by Tao on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embedding video

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:12 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Perdide wrote:
Well I kinda hope she's isn't in it with the Doctor as it would devalue her rant at the end of the last episode, which dramatically would be a bit of a let down...

Her rant was devalued before she started, because it had no dramatic value in the first place. It was just "ya know, this week's reasons".

Perdide wrote:
...plus I'd rather like to see Capaldi fly without having to pander to her each week like some boss whose got a crush on his young secretary.

It is awful isn't it? True there hasn't been a sloppy kiss between them, but there is an uncomfortable undercurrent that nothing has actually changed in this so-called "darker" season. Which is precisely what I predicted.

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

Last edited by Of Mars on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:46 pm 

Of Mars wrote:
Perdide wrote:
Well I kinda hope she's isn't in it with the Doctor as it would devalue her rant at the end of the last episode, which dramatically would be a bit of a let down...

Her rant was devalued before she started, because it had no dramatic value in the first place. It was just "ya know, this week's reasons".

Perdide wrote:
...plus I'd rather like to see Capaldi fly without having to pander to her each week like some boss whose got a crush on his young secretary.

It is awful isn't it? True there hasn't been a sloppy kiss between them, but there is an uncomfortable undercurrent that nothing has actually changed in this so-called "darker" season. Which is precisely what I predicted.

This is true. Even his earlier insults about her appearance now seem like a little boy pulling a girls pigtails to get her attention.
And all the rant did for me was make me dislike a character I was growing fond of.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:34 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Personally I think this one looks fun. Well obviously filled with monsters and death but you know what that means

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Am I old though as I've never heard of Foxes? Here's the Preview

Last edited by Tao on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just can't bear to see unembedded YouTube clips. It's an illness.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:02 am 

Ohhhhh! I didn't realise Foxes was a person, I was thinking there was going to be a "Snakes on a Plane" vibe with foxes on a spaceship. I was wondering what foxes had to do with mummies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:47 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Of Mars wrote:
Perdide wrote:

Boom!! Rant devalued... In spaaaaaaacce!!

Honestly, I hope this is the last hurrah. Bored of Clara now. In spaaaace!!

And get rid of the :cussing:-ing phone!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:31 pm 

Her snapping at the Doctor was only devalued with her really sudden change of heart; her offness with him in the first half of the ep was perfect.

But enough talk of the negative!

I though that was an excellent episode. I really really enjoyed it and I think this is how Capaldi's Doctor is going to be; hard, tough and prepared to not save everyone, if it means saving more in the end. It's uncompromising and harsh, particularly coming straight after 2 Doctors who always did everything to save everyone. I like him and I liked this. Oh and I loved Clara's dress.

Wouldn't mind a reappearance of Perkins at some point either.

EDIT: Also loved that cover of 'Don't Stop Me Now'. Loved loved loved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:44 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Really enjoyed it and want watch it again to watch how Capaldi plays a complete git that by the end I liked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:01 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

So, I put down my computer and watched the rest of the episode. Now I've picked it up again!!

So yes, quite disappointed to see Clara there again this week, it would have been nice to have had an episode without her to really make a dramatic point about the end of last week. Sadly though, no. We've had weeks of unseen huffing apparently and now she's still miffed but decided to go along anyway. Looking a little bit happy and a little bit glum. Whatever.

Onto the actual episode, well... I'm getting a bit bored of the whole "*famous something* in spaaaccccceee!" trope, which in this instance seems to be there solely to tie it into a throwaway line from the end of an old Matt Smith episode. There was really no need for it and this would have worked just as well on a space ship/station or even the actual Orient Express! It's not like they don't shove alien tech into almost every historical setting anyway. But why make it look like an actual steam train? With wheels and sound effects of it clacking over tracks. Fun? This is like the dark fairytale stuff again. Or a Polar Express.

The mummy itself was very well realised and looked good - the actual plot for it was good too, but the scientists were ineffectual and pointless. Did they do anything? I can't help but think that it would have been better if it was a huge setup solely to get the Doctor onboard to solve it, as that's what happened anyway.

Frank Skinners character was quite intriguing, do you thing we'll see him again? Why was he investigating? I kinda get the feeling that he was there for more than this episode.

Also anyone else get the Chris Addison feeling from Gus the computer? By that I mean it seemed to act like Chris did with that policeman. I wouldn't be surprised if this ties in with the whole Missy thing and they wanted to use the Mummy tech for some purpose, perhaps draining people into wherever their afterlife actually is. I expect that's why the train was blown up when the Doctor tried to hack in.

I'm still of the mind that the mobile phone thing is a bit of a McGuffin device like the sonic has become - it's there for communication, sure but do we need calls back home? I'm sure talking between carriages could have been worked out also. I think it just irks me because it's a bloody mobile phone. An actual real world mobile phone. Why not entrust the assistant with a TARDIS made phone if you must but widdling the sonic at a mobile phone which them makes it a temporal phone irritates me. What does he do? Completely alter the PCB? If it's a case of attaching it to the TARDIS why does he need to alter it at all? Enough of that. I'll be here all night. It annoyed me in RTDs era, still does now. Poor Adam got shafted for misusing Rose's but posting pics of the surface of the moon, in the future, on Tumblr last week was ok. Bah. :cussing:

Overall the episodes was fun but I can't help but think this wasn't the adventure it could have been and is actually a stepping stone for a later story. It was filler, good filler like stuffing in a turkey, but filler nonetheless.

And what's with all the lying?

PC was very good in this and felt at his most alien, there was even more channelling of Tom Baker at his most Horror of Fang Rock and it's nice to see the Doctor as more of a scientist again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:23 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Perdide wrote:
So, I put down my computer and watched the rest of the episode. Now I've picked it up again!!

So yes, quite disappointed to see Clara there again this week, it would have been nice to have had an episode without her to really make a dramatic point about the end of last week. Sadly though, no. We've had weeks of unseen huffing apparently and now she's still miffed but decided to go along anyway. Looking a little bit happy and a little bit glum. Whatever.

Onto the actual episode, well... I'm getting a bit bored of the whole "in spaaaccccceee!" Thing which in this instance seems to be there solely to tie it into a throwaway line from the end of an old Matt Smith episode. There was really no need for it and this would have worked just as well on a space ship/station or even the actual Orient Express! It's not like they don't shove alien tech into almost every historical setting anyway. But why make it look like an actual steam train? With wheels and sound effects of it clacking over tracks. Fun? This is like the dark fairytale stuff again. Or a Polar Express.

The mummy itself was very well realised and looked good - the actual plot for it was good too, but the scientists were ineffectual and pointless. Did they do anything? I can't help but think that it would have been better if it was a huge setup solely to get the Doctor onboard to solve it, as that's what happened anyway.

Frank Skinners character was quite intriguing, do you thing we'll see him again? Why was he investigating? I kinda get the feeling that he was there for more than this episode.

Also anyone else get the Chris Addison feeling from Gus the computer? By that I mean it seemed to act like Chris did with that policeman. I wouldn't be surprised if this ties in with the whole Missy thing and they wanted to use the Mummy tech for some purpose, perhaps draining people into wherever their afterlife actually is. I expect that's why the train was blown up when the Doctor tried to hack in.

I'm still of the mind that the mobile phone thing is a bit of a McGuffin device like the sonic has become - it's there for communication, sure but do we need calls back home? I'm sure talking between carriages could have been worked out also. I think it just irks me because it's a bloody mobile phone. An actual real world mobile phone. Why not entrust the assistant with a TARDIS made phone if you must but widdling the sonic at a mobile phone which them makes it a temporal phone irritates me. What does he do? Completely alter the PCB? If it's a case of attaching it to the TARDIS why does he need to alter it at all? Enough of that. I'll be here all night. It annoyed me in RTDs era, still does now. Poor Adam got shafted for misusing Rose's but posting pics of the surface of the moon, in the future, on Tumblr last week was ok. Bah. :cussing:

Overall the episodes was fun but I can't help but think this wasn't the adventure it could have been and is actually a stepping stone for a later story. It was filler, good filler like stuffing in a turkey, but filler nonetheless.

And what's with all the lying?

PC was very good in this and felt at his most alien, there was even more channelling of Tom Baker at his most Horror of Fang Rock and it's nice to see the Doctor as more of a scientist again.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, this is strange :shock: Actually the one thing I disagree with is I didn't find it fun. It was an okay way to fill the time but I would struggle to want to watch it again.

A few other thoughts:
*So the only reason Foxes was there was to promote a cover song? Good use of our time then!
*From the malfunction line I was really hoping the big twist was going to be The Doctor had built himself a Clara android to talk to because he couldn't bring himself to apologise. Instead destroyed the one bit I really liked about last week's episode. :cussing:
*I actually think the in-space thing was not only unecessary but damaged the episode. It made it to overloaded and destroyed the nice idea of mashing up a Boris Karloff movie and an Agatha Christie novel from the same period.

My wife loved it and my mum (who hates Clara) did too so maybe I'm a bit weird.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 pm 

Until she talked to Danny on the phone I was clinging to the hope it was one of the other Claras that are dotted through space and time. Ah well, apparently not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:35 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

I loved it. I'd write more but I'm on my tablet and typing on the touch screen is a pain. I shall expand at a later date (probably after a rewatch that I'm really looking forward to) .

Jelly babies! :madboogie:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

That's more like it.

I think the best this year.

That scene on the beach at the end looked beautiful.
There was a point where they were near to making Capaldi a real twat again, but the rescued it by making him the hero with a series of bad choices.

And it really looks as if there is more going on - and I don't mean Missy. Although if it does turn out Missy is solely behind Gus I will be slightly disappointed.

Frank Skinner's character was interesting. Wasn't too sure if he was too good to be true or if there was something else going on there as well. Him poking around the bottom of the console and the Doctor's invitation to join seemed a bit undercurrenty.

When the Doctor was talking to himself did anyone get a split personality vibe. I am wondering if the talk of the Master may be truer than we think. Remember that April fool that Capaldi's Doctor would be the Master. What if there really is a grain of truth in that. What if the essence of the Master came through the crack and fused with the Doctor? That this season is leading up to that revelation and splitting them?

One other thing did strike me. What if the Doctor is trying to make Clara leave of her own choice?

BTW - why all the Hitchhiker's references?

Was that New New York at the end?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
When the Doctor was talking to himself did anyone get a split personality vibe. I am wondering if the talk of the Master may be truer than we think. Remember that April fool that Capaldi's Doctor would be the Master. What if there really is a grain of truth in that. What if the essence of the Master came through the crack and fused with the Doctor? That this season is leading up to that revelation and splitting them?

One other thing did strike me. What if the Doctor is trying to make Clara leave of her own choice?

I kinda hope not. It would be better to have the Valeyard come out of Capaldi!

I enjoyed the bits Clara wasn't in. If he wanted her to leave then last week was the perfect opportunity.

As it stands, she made it sound like she was huffing and moaning for weeks but as far as the Doctor is concerned, much like us, it was probably last episode. He could just skip forward five weeks into her life and turn up and say "Alright Clara, have you calmed down yet? Yeah? Fancy a trip to the Orient Express?" So yeah, that taught him a lesson! :applaud: Because, Y'know, time machine.

An android Clara or one of the fractured ones would have been more interesting and said something about him and his relationship with her. As it stands, I'm not sure about her at all!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:59 pm 
Demi-goddess

I loved it! The first ep this series I've been able to say that about, which makes me so happy I can't even tell you.

At first we were all "WUH. TUH. FUH? Why is Clara there?" but actually, it makes perfect sense. It's almost, not exactly but almost, like ending a very long term relationship. You can't just say "We're done" and that be the end. There has to be a break up period, even a last hurrah, when one or both of you realise it's no longer working. I'm thinking when Leeta and Julian went to Risa to end their relationship in DS9.

They split up the Doctor and the companion to have parallel stories! Hurrah! Clara's was little and mostly emotional, but that's okay. The Doctor was in a room of experts with an intellectual problem to solve and that was ACE. I've missed that so much.

Very Baker the First. In fact, when he was doing his Gollum/Smeagol thing in his cabin, his Gollum was the Fourth Doctor. No one will convince me otherwise. JELLYBABIES IN A CIGARETTE CASE. Because of course.

Even Clara deciding to stay at the end made sense to me. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been on the brink of ending a relationship, only to find that on the point of irrevocability, no. Actually, I'm all in. Wherever this leads. I'm in. And I saw that in Clara. And her actions felt real and human. For like the first time ever.

I'm so relieved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:22 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

JJ
One side of the conversation was totally channelling Baker I.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:26 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
JJ
One side of the conversation was totally channelling Baker I.

It was pretty obvious he had Tom on speed dial for chunks of this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

jumpin' jellybean wrote:
I loved it! The first ep this series I've been able to say that about, which makes me so happy I can't even tell you.

At first we were all "WUH. TUH. FUH? Why is Clara there?" but actually, it makes perfect sense. It's almost, not exactly but almost, like ending a very long term relationship. You can't just say "We're done" and that be the end. There has to be a break up period, even a last hurrah, when one or both of you realise it's no longer working. I'm thinking when Leeta and Julian went to Risa to end their relationship in DS9.

They split up the Doctor and the companion to have parallel stories! Hurrah! Clara's was little and mostly emotional, but that's okay. The Doctor was in a room of experts with an intellectual problem to solve and that was ACE. I've missed that so much.

Very Baker the First. In fact, when he was doing his Gollum/Smeagol thing in his cabin, his Gollum was the Fourth Doctor. No one will convince me otherwise. JELLYBABIES IN A CIGARETTE CASE. Because of course.

Even Clara deciding to stay at the end made sense to me. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been on the brink of ending a relationship, only to find that on the point of irrevocability, no. Actually, I'm all in. Wherever this leads. I'm in. And I saw that in Clara. And her actions felt real and human. For like the first time ever.

I'm so relieved.

Hurrah, I don't need to do all the typing. Nail, head, some kind of hitting going on.

So, so much Tom Baker in Capaldi's talking to himself bit, worthy of Jon Culshaw with a bit of added Scottish accent.

Frank Skinner surprised me by being excellent. It does seem there's more to that character than just being in this episode.

I was actually hoping to see the last of Clara, right up until the end of the episode, when she turned back into the fun character from last season. I don't really know why they introduced the tension between her and the Doctor but I think it was a mistake. Saying that, she's lying to Danny again, there will be consequences (people have criticised his reaction to the Doctor revelations, but let's not forget his girlfriend revealed she'd been lying to him throughout their entire relationship, he had a bit if a right to be angry and lay down some ground rules after that).

Here's an exercise. Imagine Matt Smith saying the lines. It's interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:46 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Perdide wrote:
Basileus wrote:

I kinda hope not. It would be better to have the Valeyard come out of Capaldi!

That would work as well. The nature of the regeneration forcing a split personality. If the body is split then one gets the regenerations and the other doesn't - in a handy hand sort of way. This being the dark side becomes the Valeyard.

I can see the Moff doing something like that just to tie up the Valeyard thing left over since '86, as it would be something he would worry about.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:57 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Tao wrote:
So, so much Tom Baker in Capaldi's talking to himself bit, worthy of Jon Culshaw with a bit of added Scottish accent.

Nah - Capaldi doing Tom Baker could be funny, Jon Culshaw has done that one so often it has lost all appeal.

Very glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought of Tom Baker through a lot of this - and that is a GOOD thing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 95 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next