Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:34 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Perdide wrote:
Tao wrote:
There's also the option to use the embed code direct from iPlayer, which is in fact even easier 'cos you only have to put the embed code between the iplayer tags.

Would someone like say, Paulky, who's not within the UK not be able to view the IPlayer embeds though? Is YouTube a globally safer option to use if it exists?? (Barring Germany who can't access YouTube).

That's a good point! Just mentioning the above because the YouTube code changes a lot (hence the YouTube2 tag, for various reasons), but yes, iPlayer embedded clips might not work internationally. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:16 am 

There are ways and means. My fiancé and I watch Doctor Who on BBC iPlayer here in Australia by the means of a DNS redirector which changes our geolocation depending on the content we seek.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:08 am 

Tao wrote:
Perdide wrote:
Tao wrote:
There's also the option to use the embed code direct from iPlayer, which is in fact even easier 'cos you only have to put the embed code between the iplayer tags.

Would someone like say, Paulky, who's not within the UK not be able to view the IPlayer embeds though? Is YouTube a globally safer option to use if it exists?? (Barring Germany who can't access YouTube).

That's a good point! Just mentioning the above because the YouTube code changes a lot (hence the YouTube2 tag, for various reasons), but yes, iPlayer embedded clips might not work internationally. Thanks for pointing that out.

If I ran Tunnel Bear it would probably be OK, and I can watch trailers via iPlayer from the Doctor Who BBC page; it's just transmitted content seems to be geo-locked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 am 

Saul Iscariot wrote:
I am sorry but there are two examples of evidence brought into play. Firstly the shuttle, it didn't have gravity plating or other such nonsense. It was explained as a result of the Moon gaining mass. Then there was Courtney floating because the bacteria moved. You are right, that such a small increase wouldn't produce the massive tidal effects. Therefore something else has to be at play.

It wasn't attempted to be explained, yet you've come to the conclusion it is cod science not based on what was in the episode but your imposition of rules that fit this being part of the real world. In which case, that's fine, it's a pedestrian suspension of disbelief that requires everything to be explained.

All I was saying was the science matters to some, not to others. But as you insist on trying to labour the point, explain to me a Tardis? Or why my acceptance of what occurred on screen is just accepting of anything when that isn't what I said?

You've completely ignored what I said, again, and what was said in the show itself. I see no point in continuing to attempt to explain this to you. Glad you enjoyed the show. Roll on next week's episode :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm 

So what is verbally summarised in the show when they don't know what is occurring should be treated as fact over what we saw occurring with our own eyes? Yes you are right, we shouldn't continue discussing this.

I didn't ignore what you said, I just tried to explain why you might need to rethink what you've said. You said it was cod science, but the science was never offered to be discussed. So you either suspend your sense of disbelief or not. In a time travel show that has taken far greater leaps of imagination you either have a line or not. If you criticise the show every time something occurs that doesn't hold up to scientific scrutiny, then fair enough. But I somewhat doubt you do, or apply that rule to anything else.

But then there is the second thing. You support your criticisms based on verbal evidence in the show. That's an odd position when everything you see on the screen contradicts that but doesn't contradict the events we are told happened. The gravity fields and changes in mass seemed to be far more localised than just the moon got heavier. But as you want the science to hold up, yup, let's not talk again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 am 

I rewatched the episode last night, and I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy it at all this time around. I don't mind watching stories where nonsensical things happen when they are required to progress the story (as long as there is some kind of vaguely plausible explanation) or if it's a comedy episode where silly things happen to raise a laugh, but this was supposed to be a serious story and daft things were happening for no reason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:36 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

DeepGoat wrote:
I rewatched the episode last night, and I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy it at all this time around. I don't mind watching stories where nonsensical things happen when they are required to progress the story (as long as there is some kind of vaguely plausible explanation) or if it's a comedy episode where silly things happen to raise a laugh, but this was supposed to be a serious story and daft things were happening for no reason.

You have been watching the Steven Moffat era...!

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 pm 

AAAAND the whole end was rendered pointless within 5 minutes of the next ep.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:57 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Babiesatemydingo2 wrote:
AAAAND the whole end was rendered pointless within 5 minutes of the next ep.

Why is anyone surprised by this?

------------------------------
It won't be Star Wars if it doesn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Oct 2012
It was Star Wars even though it didn't have the 20th C Fox fanfare at the begining - Of Mars: Dec 2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Just caught up with this and I've not read the thread yet. Up until they left the Captain on the sand dunes, I really enjoyed it. The rest of the episode spoiled it, utterly and completely. My first ever "poor" vote on a Doctor Who poll, if I remember rightly.

I did have a massive word wall of vented spleen here, but sense has prevailed and I've done a Cyberman on it's pixelated-lettery behind. Suffice to say, I'm not a happy bunny. The sooner this whole bollocky business with Danny "Mr PTSD-Munchausen's Syndrome By Proxy 2014" Pink is over and done with and we can get back to having fun without a large slice of smug paranoia pie, the better.

[EDIT] Oops. Seems there was still a little spleen down there *burp*

[DOUBLE EDIT] After reading some of the thread, here's something positive.

I really like Courtney, too. I would actually love it if she ended up being the next companion. Much as I love Ace, I reckon they could do the same concept better with Courtney, if only because Ian Briggs isn't writing her dialogue. That said, I'd kinda love it if, assuming Courtney did become a companion proper (and I'd say she counts now if Dodo does), Ace came back for an episode, saw a bit of herself in her, and they had a literal blast!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

10 Things You May Not Know About Kill The Moon:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... l-the-moon

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 104 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4