It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Top marks or some time in detention?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:11 pm
Excellent (Destined for Oxbridge) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Good (Top of the class) 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
Average (Shows promise) 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Poor (Must try harder) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dire (To the headmasters office!!) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:11 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Devils Ball, spacemate...
Gender: Male
So, to kick this one off on here as it doesn't seem to exist yet:
Plus a sensible level of poll rating!!

Hmm. It's an odd one this week. I couldn't really care about the monster because it seems the writers didn't care about it either. Robot killing machines can be an interesting subject but in this case it was just a machine doing machine things and was nullified by telling it to turn off. But let's ignore that, it's pretty clear that it was there for one reason - to get the Doctor and Danny at loggerheads with each other.

So I suppose that's the meat of this episode, getting Clara and the two men in her life to meet - with the inevitable fall out that we'd all predicted as soon as the Doctor said he didn't like soldiers back in the Dalek episode.

I do feel like we've been on fast forward with Clara's relationship with Danny though, which is why I've found it just too difficult to care about it. We've seen, what, six weeks on and off little bits, snippits of their relationship but in-show I have the feeling the timeline is months, perhaps even a year (since she started teaching, met him and now were having parents evening). There's certainly plenty of in-show (particularly this week) displays of her disappearing off with the Doctor, coming back and going off again. So I imagine there's plenty more we've not seen either. So when she blurts out "because I love him" it just doesn't hold true to me - so far we've seen her meet him, be rude to him, disappear off with the Doctor and lie to him. Except that's she told him "spacey things". Perhaps if the writers wants to explore that angle, we could have had some more interaction between them. Of course, I'm no big fan of the soap-opera storytelling but this is halfway house soap. We're told they're in love, not shown any sort of buildup. If you're gonna do it, at least do it fully.

Given the pairing of writers this week I was expecting another Lodger with wibbly. I think this delivered on that premise, it has quite a lot of the same overtones, and then a chunk of Missy at the end.

As this was about Danny and the Doctor it was interesting to see the scenes between them - though Danny comes across as early-Micky quite a lot. The best was the exchange in the TARDIS - but it would have to be as that was this episodes whole point in existing.

Not sure about the backflip thing - that won't help convince the Doctor he's not a PE teacher. Maybe if he'd used his maths?? Y'know, to solve that final code or something??

So what else is left?? The policeman. Quite a nasty death - though really - does anyone care? He seemed like a bit of an arse when we met him and in the dead area.
Jason Addison - some kind of clerk in wherever they are. Tied in with Missy, who I'm also bored with. For petes sake Moffat, just give us something of substance with her please!! Just having someone turn up isn't mysterious, give her something to do. Otherwise you may as well just display a photo of her for thirty seconds on screen with some mysterious music playing and be done with it.

The troublesome girl who barfs in the TARDIS - didn't see harangue Clara in a memory back in episode one? Is she going to be a recurring character or is she just filler? Because the whole "being in space" thing would kinda affect her right? Unless there was some mind wiping done afterwards - though if that's the case, what would be the point in it at all?

The robot did remind me of the T1 from Terminator 3 though, just with spider legs instead of tracks. Unfortunately rather than creepy it's just looked quite comical when it was chasing Clara about.

Overall... Errr. I don't know. Didn't feel particularly Doctor Who, kinda more SJA. Though that could be the setting more than anything else.

_________________
"How can you convert something so 1D into 3D" - Knappos (SFX Forum) on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:42 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Norn Iron
Gender: Male
I am getting a strange feeling of déjà vue reading this thread. :bigsmile:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:58 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Devils Ball, spacemate...
Gender: Male
Basileus wrote:
I am getting a strange feeling of déjà vue reading this thread. :bigsmile:


You have entered the Twilight Zone!!
Do de do do, do de do do...

_________________
"How can you convert something so 1D into 3D" - Knappos (SFX Forum) on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:03 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Norn Iron
Gender: Male
:toungdrop:

:holyshit:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:04 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:57 pm
Posts: 5188
Location: All around you, like a mist or fog or halibut.
Gender: Male
PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
I liked it, but it wasn't anyway near a classic episode.

My main problem with it is the soapiness. It wasn't really about the monster of the week, but was primarily an episode setting up the increasingly close relationship between Danny and Clara and how The Doctor deals with that. I disagree with the assertion that the relationship between the two doesn't feel true; I thought the sequence at the beginning illustrated the fact that they'd been going out and getting progressively closer (while accentuating the suspicion Danny was increasingly experiencing) very well. But saying that, is that what I watch Doctor Who for? It's not really.

Still, a fun enough episode. Not brilliant, but not bad either.

_________________
White collar conservative flashin' down the street
Pointin their plastic finger at me. Ha!
They're hopin' soon my kind will drop and die but, uh,
I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:47 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 am
Posts: 62
Gender: Male
Tao wrote:
I liked it, but it wasn't anyway near a classic episode.

My main problem with it is the soapiness. It wasn't really about the monster of the week, but was primarily an episode setting up the increasingly close relationship between Danny and Clara and how The Doctor deals with that. I disagree with the assertion that the relationship between the two doesn't feel true; I thought the sequence at the beginning illustrated the fact that they'd been going out and getting progressively closer (while accentuating the suspicion Danny was increasingly experiencing) very well. But saying that, is that what I watch Doctor Who for? It's not really.

Still, a fun enough episode. Not brilliant, but not bad either.


What you said.

My wife was distinctly unimpressed by this one. 'Worse than the Robin Hood one...'

I found it good as a comedy, but distinctly average Doctor Who, which is still better than no Doctor Who.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:58 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:02 pm
Posts: 1370
Gender: Male
Tao wrote:
I liked it, but it wasn't anyway near a classic episode.

My main problem with it is the soapiness. It wasn't really about the monster of the week, but was primarily an episode setting up the increasingly close relationship between Danny and Clara and how The Doctor deals with that. I disagree with the assertion that the relationship between the two doesn't feel true; I thought the sequence at the beginning illustrated the fact that they'd been going out and getting progressively closer (while accentuating the suspicion Danny was increasingly experiencing) very well. But saying that, is that what I watch Doctor Who for? It's not really.

Still, a fun enough episode. Not brilliant, but not bad either.


Yeah, pretty much sums it up for me.
It needed a decent "I'm 987 years old, the last of the Timelords and Earth's only hope" type speech, given by the Doctor (which Peter Capaldi would have delivered better than Tennant managed).
What we got was a relationship that seems forced, a "monster" that came from the bottom drawer of BBC effects and a bit more of Missy (who can happily disappear, never to return)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:43 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 am
Posts: 62
Gender: Male
Trumpetmike wrote:
Tao wrote:
I liked it, but it wasn't anyway near a classic episode.

My main problem with it is the soapiness. It wasn't really about the monster of the week, but was primarily an episode setting up the increasingly close relationship between Danny and Clara and how The Doctor deals with that. I disagree with the assertion that the relationship between the two doesn't feel true; I thought the sequence at the beginning illustrated the fact that they'd been going out and getting progressively closer (while accentuating the suspicion Danny was increasingly experiencing) very well. But saying that, is that what I watch Doctor Who for? It's not really.

Still, a fun enough episode. Not brilliant, but not bad either.


Yeah, pretty much sums it up for me.
It needed a decent "I'm 987 years old, the last of the Timelords and Earth's only hope" type speech, given by the Doctor (which Peter Capaldi would have delivered better than Tennant managed).
What we got was a relationship that seems forced, a "monster" that came from the bottom drawer of BBC effects and a bit more of Missy (who can happily disappear, never to return)


Missy could still be great, we just don't know yet. I know some people don't like her but so far I do, and I am intrigued. I've got a feeling she is gonna be proper unpleasant.

As for this episode, it reminded me of the Sherlock wedding episode (yuck) but it genuinely made me smile unlike that.

As for the episode itself, I rolled my eyes when Danny did that flip. Come on! Ridiculous.

One thing that has annoyed me for several weeks is people being nasty about the Doctor at the half way point. People keep pointing out to Clara what they think of him, and it is never good. I don't like that at all. Heavy handed stuff that seems to point to Clara walking out on the Doctor at some point soon. And then underlined by Danny's 'speech' at the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:27 am 
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:34 am
Posts: 14
Location: Salford
Gender: Male
PSN ID: Wibbles28
I found this one was piss poor to be honest. The woefully underused and underdeveloped villain, the obvious Doctor and Danny not getting on, annoying child (next companion set up?), gymnastics over said villain and all this going on in a school full of people and there is zero fuss? Guess after Daleks this was a breeze for the staff at Coal Hill.

Danny is fast becoming hugely unlikeable. His patronising bit at the end to Clara was the last straw for me. The writers haven't developed this guy well at all. Apart from he's and ex soldier with issues. Except now he is also an Olympic gymnast. Bet he's lethal with the ribbon.

I'm just not getting this relationship with Clara. It's hard to care about something that we've only seen go badly so far and this episode wasn't much better. If my new bf had a go at my best mate like that he'd be out the door.

Also why does everyone hate the Doctor now? No one we meet seems to like him much and Clara is running around making apologies for him. its getting old.

I'm still waiting for that one great episode and this season hasn't delivered it for me yet. Still I kinda want to see what the deal is with Missy and with half the season still to go there is time yet for it to improve.

_________________
I may be none the wiser but I dare say I'm better informed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:56 am 
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:58 am
Posts: 43
Location: The Future, far away.
Gender: Female
I thought it was good, but it needed something else.
And as you say it was this way to introduce Danny to the Doctor, but i think it could have gone a little better.

Coal Hill High reminds me of Strange Hill High ( kid's show, and I love it) :bigsmile:

_________________
Did I just hear that the animal turned inside out, and then it EXPLODED?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 pm
Posts: 2270
Location: Norn Iron
Gender: Male
I did like it. However my expectations were at rock bottom and as we got an episode with more bit than a CBBC episode played for laughed, it earned good marks from me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:43 am 
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 am
Posts: 39
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Do you think the Doctors sudden dislike for soldiers is just a nuance of this incarnation that the creators decided would make for good characterisation, or is it a plot thread running through this season that will have a pay off at the end? Its been noted that the Doctor hasn't really had any distaste for soldiers before, often working with them or ordering them about in both old Who and new Who, so I can't help feeling there must be more to it. The War Doctor was a soldier, a supremely effective one that until now he believed had made a genocidal style decision to end the Time War. Is it possible that now he knows the truth, this has changed his perspective of what it means to be a soldier?

_________________
Fabricati Diem, Pvnc!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:26 pm
Posts: 1093
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
I said on the other place that I think Danny is supposed to be mirroring the Doctor, since both of them are or have been insecure about their relationships with Clara. The Doctor had his little "my adventures better than any old date" moment a few episodes ago and really seems not to care (or at least doesn't want to care) about her life outside their adventures, and now Danny's being a dick and the sexism has leaked into his character too. It feels forced as though they haven't got enough time to tell the story they want to, so they are condensing it all down to fit the time frame they do have, but the story and characterisation is suffering for it.

Rumor-led speculation hidden away, just to be on the safe side.
Spoiler:
If the rumors about Jenna leaving and Danny replacing Clara as the companion are true, I can't help but think that the whole "he's an officer and they don't care about the men under them" and "I just don't like soldiers" schtick is purely to create an arc for the two of them where they slowly come to learn how good the other one is and eventually develop a mutual respect and genuine friendship. However, it just makes the show feel like the worst kind of soap opera. We're talking the Crossroads revamp here.


RTD handled the Doctor and a campanion's loved ones not getting on initially much, much better with Rose and Jackie than Moffat has here. There's none of the writing skill that was shown on Jekyll in evidence, but it does remind me of his writing in Coupling, which I can't stand. Granted, SteMo only co-wrote/re-wrote this episode, but he is the one guiding the series. Also, I've really liked Gareth Roberts's output for Who so far (and The Sarah Jane Adventures), particularly 'The Unicorn and the Wasp', but this is the first one that I doubt I'll rewatch when I have a rewatch on DVD.

I really didn't like the "now listen to me because I know better than you about your experiences, of which you have only told me the barest minimum, but I was a soldier and all officers are bastards and your friend is the biggest officer I've ever seen" bollocks at the end of the episode. I'd just started properly liking Danny afer 'Listen' but now I'm not keen on him at all. I get that there has to be drama in a drama, but this feels more like something out of a bad Cracker rip-off, where Danny ends up killing the Doctor and Fitz has to find him before he gets to Clara, than it does Doctor Who. Stop it, Moffat!

Good grief, I am not a Moffat hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I am getting more frustrated with this series and I do think it's time he started making plans to move on to something else.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:44 am
Posts: 121
Location: The Curious Fruitbowl
Gender: Male
I enjoyed it on its own merits, but it wasn't Doctor Who.

_________________
"Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:50 am 
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:58 pm
Posts: 35
Gender: Male
I think about the only thing I can say about this episode is ... Meh.

Unfortunately that seems to be much of the series so far too. It's a shame as I can see real potential for Capaldi to be a great Dr but I think everything around him is holding him back. I also agree with the point someone else made that the series seems to be more about Clara that it does the Dr :(

_________________
Living in the shadow of Baby Davros...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Batley, West Yorkshire
Gender: Female
Wibbles wrote:

Danny is fast becoming hugely unlikeable. His patronising bit at the end to Clara was the last straw for me. The writers haven't developed this guy well at all. Apart from he's and ex soldier with issues. Except now he is also an Olympic gymnast. Bet he's lethal with the ribbon.



I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that last bit with Danny and Clara to be patronising. She has shown herself to be perfectly capable in dangerous situations, copes with it all a damn sight better than Danny and all he can say is 'ooh I want to protect you'. I guess it was supposed to be romantic, but it just came across as patronising.

As this series has continued I find myself watching the episode less and playing Moffat Bingo more and more. That's not a good thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 am 
Demi-goddess
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 1165
Gender: Female
Robin the Ripper wrote:
I really didn't like the "now listen to me because I know better than you about your experiences, of which you have only told me the barest minimum, but I was a soldier and all officers are bastards and your friend is the biggest officer I've ever seen" bollocks at the end of the episode. I'd just started properly liking Danny afer 'Listen' but now I'm not keen on him at all. I get that there has to be drama in a drama, but this feels more like something out of a bad Cracker rip-off, where Danny ends up killing the Doctor and Fitz has to find him before he gets to Clara, than it does Doctor Who. Stop it, Moffat!

Good grief, I am not a Moffat hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I am getting more frustrated with this series and I do think it's time he started making plans to move on to something else.


This. THIS. I also agree with you on Jekyll (AMAZE) and Coupling (get off my telly with your hideous collection of stereotypes).

I've mostly enjoyed Moffat's tenure. But I agree with people who compare Smith with TCB - a great Doctor who deserved better stories. Overall I think Smith's were qualitatively better, but he deserved more. But I am truly struggling with this season. There was enough Roberts in the Caretaker to make it enjoyable, but enough of the editor's fingerprints on it to make parts of it uncomfortable. I think I've seen and read enough of Roberts' work to spot the difference in how he normally writes male/female interactions and how this paid off.

There was the whole thing about Danny wanting to see Clara with the Doctor, leading to the bumbled watch gag. And then, he really did get to see Clara with the Doctor. And she was capable, brave, clever and quick. It was practically showcased in flashing neon lights. So I fully expected that conversation in front of the window to reflect that. In fact, Imma go ahead and bet 10p that in the submitted draft, that's what happened. Because it would have made narrative sense. Instead, it's not about the Clara he saw, it's about the Doctor he saw. Because Clara is continually being defined by men.

This was a perfect opportunity to have Clara talk about her life, her lived experience, and have one of the men in her life shut up and listen.

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "I think I get that. But you can't keep lying to me. You're important to me, and I want to understand this important thing in your life."

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "Choose between us, because you can only have one man in your life. Also, I don't believe you can have a relationship with a man and it not be sexual. And I think you need a man to protect you from this other man."

Fuck. That. Noise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Batley, West Yorkshire
Gender: Female
jumpin' jellybean wrote:
This was a perfect opportunity to have Clara talk about her life, her lived experience, and have one of the men in her life shut up and listen.

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "I think I get that. But you can't keep lying to me. You're important to me, and I want to understand this important thing in your life."

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "Choose between us, because you can only have one man in your life. Also, I don't believe you can have a relationship with a man and it not be sexual. And I think you need a man to protect you from this other man."

Fuck. That. Noise.


*rapturous applause. Yes, all of that. I was aware of all this through Matt Smith's tenure too, but somehow not to the same extent. It's like all of a sudden it's just become a million trillion times more obvious to me. And that's saying a lot because look at the two main characters in Smith's era, River turned out to be defined as The Doctor's wife above all else and Amy's whole childhood was defined by meeting The Doctor. It's just getting to the point where I would quite like Moffat gone please in the hopes that the next showrunner has a better attitude.

And don't get me started on how he insults Clara's looks every other week. Horrible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 pm 
Demi-goddess
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 1165
Gender: Female
fainiel wrote:
It's like all of a sudden it's just become a million trillion times more obvious to me.


You know how if you're sitting in the park and you see an ant, it's not a big deal? And then you notice another, but it's still not a big deal. And then you notice another, but it's okay. Some of your mates shriek and move, but you think they're making a bit of a big deal of it. You're sitting on grass, it's only to be expected. After a few more you start to get a bit squicked out. And then you realise you're sitting on top of an anthill and you have to leave right this minute and your skin feels like it's crawling for a couple of days afterwards.

That.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Batley, West Yorkshire
Gender: Female
jumpin' jellybean wrote:

You know how if you're sitting in the park and you see an ant, it's not a big deal? And then you notice another, but it's still not a big deal. And then you notice another, but it's okay. Some of your mates shriek and move, but you think they're making a bit of a big deal of it. You're sitting on grass, it's only to be expected. After a few more you start to get a bit squicked out. And then you realise you're sitting on top of an anthill and you have to leave right this minute and your skin feels like it's crawling for a couple of days afterwards.

That.


That's the best analogy ever. To stretch it even further, the ants are in my picnic and I can no longer enjoy my sandwich without thinking about ants.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm
Posts: 83
Gender: Male
jumpin' jellybean wrote:
This was a perfect opportunity to have Clara talk about her life, her lived experience, and have one of the men in her life shut up and listen.

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "I think I get that. But you can't keep lying to me. You're important to me, and I want to understand this important thing in your life."

"Why do you go with him?" "Because it's amazing." "Choose between us, because you can only have one man in your life. Also, I don't believe you can have a relationship with a man and it not be sexual. And I think you need a man to protect you from this other man."

Fuck. That. Noise.


Yes. Awesome.

_________________
There's more to life than stainless steel and looking cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:06 am
Posts: 990
Location: Home of the Carronade
Gender: Male
Enjoyed the Doctor in this, basically on full on grumpy rude man mode. But the rest was very hard to like. I'm guessing this "Ladykiller" element of Danny will be in some way related to his "I don't like officers" stuff.

The monster was pretty much there to be a monster so I shouldn't scrutinise it too much. However, like all incredibly deadly killing machines with no respect for life it can't hit a coo's arse with a banjo and carries no big explodey guns. Seriously it is spraying a hail of laser blasts and you don't think after shot 1,273,277,948 fails to hit a living target it wouldn switch to Kablamo Gun? or that this deadly machine wasn't equipped with a Kablamo Gun?

The Policeman blows the sacrifice element of missy's people out of the water.

The same podcast with that theory did also suggest that ther emight be something to do with Clara's face. Lots of references to it and lots of use of mirrors & Reflections. No idea what it coudl be though (Clara is the Doctor? Clara & Danny are the Doctor's mum & Dad? The Time Lords are all living on earth, unaware of their own existence until they die and re-generate?)

Ultimately this seemed like something that was apparently needed to advance the Clara/Danny story but was purely functional.

_________________
"There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan." - Worth, Cube


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:36 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm
Posts: 213
Gender: Male
I enjoyed this one.

I have to say though that I cant disagree on any of the criticisms expressed here though.

I cared more about 1 dimensional inner-city-innit-school-girl-with-an-attitude stereotype (so far) Courtney getting her first trip in the TARDIS than I did 1 and a half dimensional Soldier boy talking about class conflict.

Thing is he was really quite good as Orson (and more effective as Danny) a couple of weeks back. I hope that he gets some more (better) material to play with now that he'll (presumably) be travelling on occasion with The doctor and Clara.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:48 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 3602
Gender: Male
PieMan70 wrote:
The Policeman blows the sacrifice element of missy's people out of the water.

What it may be is that it is The Doctor's fault? Although he tries to shirk responsibility he also states the reason it has turned up is the Artron emissions in the area (i.e. because he keeps landing around Shoreditch).

_________________
God of Excel - Hedwig

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:45 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Devils Ball, spacemate...
Gender: Male
Quote:
aphaniusmento (SFX): The thing that undermined the end of the episode for me was the Doctor's rush to build the device in time for the killer robot's return - when he's got a TIME MACHINE!


Yeah, that's the sort of thing that scuppers stories like these - especially when you've spent the last few years making all your stories all timey wimey, so then setting arbitrary time limits is a bit of a cop out.

Coal Hill is obviously a fixed point in time. Or some bollocks.

_________________
"How can you convert something so 1D into 3D" - Knappos (SFX Forum) on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D.

Everyone expects The Fannish Inquisition!

Now on http://www.offtopica2.com!! Woo!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm
Posts: 83
Gender: Male
Perdide wrote:
Quote:
aphaniusmento (SFX): The thing that undermined the end of the episode for me was the Doctor's rush to build the device in time for the killer robot's return - when he's got a TIME MACHINE!


Yeah, that's the sort of thing that scuppers stories like these - especially when you've spent the last few years making all your stories all timey wimey, so then setting arbitrary time limits is a bit of a cop out.

Coal Hill is obviously a fixed point in time. Or some bollocks.


Yes, and (as I was saying in the Other Place) given how easy it is to come up with some excuse to avoid these massive plot holes, you have to wonder if (a) the writers think people don't care, or (b) people really aren't bothered by this sort of thing.

_________________
There's more to life than stainless steel and looking cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:01 pm
Posts: 602
Location: Neath, Wales
Gender: Male
Marlowe wrote:
Perdide wrote:
Quote:
aphaniusmento (SFX): The thing that undermined the end of the episode for me was the Doctor's rush to build the device in time for the killer robot's return - when he's got a TIME MACHINE!


Yeah, that's the sort of thing that scuppers stories like these - especially when you've spent the last few years making all your stories all timey wimey, so then setting arbitrary time limits is a bit of a cop out.

Coal Hill is obviously a fixed point in time. Or some bollocks.


Yes, and (as I was saying in the Other Place) given how easy it is to come up with some excuse to avoid these massive plot holes, you have to wonder if (a) the writers think people don't care, or (b) people really aren't bothered by this sort of thing.


I just think that they think we wont notice

_________________
People keep making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:29 am 
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 pm
Posts: 18
Gender: Male
Let's be honest, it's not just modern Who that suffers from this. There are countless old stories when he could have just got in the blue box, nipped back to before the shit hit the fan and stopped it before it happened.

I would get annoyed if he kept having to come up with explanations as to why he doesn't do this, so am happy to be carried along by the story and not worry about it.

This was a great episode, very funny as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:12 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 pm
Posts: 898
Location: The Black Country
Gender: Male
I think any time-travel story can suffer from the 'why don't they...?' syndrome, but you just have to ignore that and go along with the story.

I really enjoyed The Caretaker (Skovox Blitzer jumping aside) it was a lot of fun. I am a little worried that the sassy schoolgirl might be being prepped to be a companion, though. Good as the actor playing her was, I think she might get annoying after a while.

The title of this episode amused me because a few years back I started rehearsals for an outdoor show with me in the role of a (Doctor-ish) time-traveller called…The Caretaker!

Due to funding issues I never did do the show in the end and ironically a younger chap took the part….dammmit. I suspect that was as close as I was ever going to get to playing The Doctor.

_________________
"It was fun....oh my."

twitter.com/stevehyett


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 am 
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm
Posts: 83
Gender: Male
Alski wrote:
Let's be honest, it's not just modern Who that suffers from this. There are countless old stories when he could have just got in the blue box, nipped back to before the shit hit the fan and stopped it before it happened.

I would get annoyed if he kept having to come up with explanations as to why he doesn't do this, so am happy to be carried along by the story and not worry about it.


This isn't a question of skipping back from established events and changing them before they happen. Doctor Who already has its own rules for why that doesn't happen; crossing the timelines, not being able to change events you're already a part of etc.

This is about the fact that someone with a time-machine can't say "I only have X hours to build Gadget Y", because they can just jump in their time machine, tour the outer planets of Nebilania-B for a month, spend two weeks building Gadget Y and still be back five minutes after they left.

Unless it's already been established that the time machine isn't working (e.g. the time-grenade things have caused massive fluctuations in the temporal field and time travel is a no-no until the chronal resonances have stabilised) then the obvious thing to do is Use Your Time Machine.

So, why didn't the Doctor, a Time Lord, use his time machine to give himself more time?

_________________
There's more to life than stainless steel and looking cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:26 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 3602
Gender: Male
Marlowe wrote:
Alski wrote:
Let's be honest, it's not just modern Who that suffers from this. There are countless old stories when he could have just got in the blue box, nipped back to before the shit hit the fan and stopped it before it happened.

I would get annoyed if he kept having to come up with explanations as to why he doesn't do this, so am happy to be carried along by the story and not worry about it.


This isn't a question of skipping back from established events and changing them before they happen. Doctor Who already has its own rules for why that doesn't happen; crossing the timelines, not being able to change events you're already a part of etc.

This is about the fact that someone with a time-machine can't say "I only have X hours to build Gadget Y", because they can just jump in their time machine, tour the outer planets of Nebilania-B for a month, spend two weeks building Gadget Y and still be back five minutes after they left.

Unless it's already been established that the time machine isn't working (e.g. the time-grenade things have caused massive fluctuations in the temporal field and time travel is a no-no until the chronal resonances have stabilised) then the obvious thing to do is Use Your Time Machine.

So, why didn't the Doctor, a Time Lord, use his time machine to give himself more time?


As I said in the other place, the problem is if The Doctor messes it up he dooms the Earth. If he arrives after the whole of London has been destroyed because he missed his window he is then part of those events and stuck, millions of death on his hands because he didn't stick around. To take The Aliens of London as an example, he says he'll take Rose back just after she left but then it turns out to be a year. He can't then take her back a year and solve the paradox.

The issue is a bit more tricky as he hasn't messed it up this season but he landed on a Russian Sub in Cold War when aiming for Vegas and ended up in Yorkshire when aiming for London in The Crimson Horror. To take this situation he thought it would be back in a few days and it was back in 1 he would have doomed the entire the school to destruction if he turned up with it fixed at the moment he thought it was released. Finding a smouldering ruin around Shoreditch and cradling Clara's dead body in his arms.

EDIT: I actually think this would be a great episode premise. The Doctor decides to trust the TARDIS to do a quick time-jump and then finds the entire civilisation in ruins. Like an even more depressing version of The Girl Who Waited.

_________________
God of Excel - Hedwig

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Help keep this forum ad-free - please Donate


This free, ad-free forum is hosted by ForumLaunch
cron


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net