It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 25 of 29   [ 898 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:29 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Red. Not our choice, but we at least have white cupboards.

(and yep, Trumpetmike, it did :lol: )

What would you put in your dream house? Library, home cinema, helicopter landing pad, alligator pit?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm 
Demi-goddess

Library - a proper old-fashioned one with floor to ceiling shelves, a sliding ladder, oxblood leather wingback chairs, mahogany side tables, green angle poise lamps and a globe bar *sigh*. A home cinema (with multi-console hook up, too) would be very cool, but it's distant third after a proper library and a secret passage. Leading from the library. Obv.

Same question!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:46 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

A secret command center, and a Giant Library, and a selection of vehicles with novel secret passages to access them. You know what, I probably want to live on Tracy Island.

What fictional residence would you like to live in?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:19 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Death's House, spacious and classy :smallsmile:

What is your view on Pumpkin Spiced items?

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 pm 
Demi-goddess

Pumpkins are lovely, spices are lovely, I really don't understand why come September some people want everything they consume to taste exactly the same. Urgh.

Trick or treaters: give out treats or pretend to not be in?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Big handful of sweets for every child. My father in law puts up a sign basically saying "no thank you" at halloween; I'm not a fan of the American over-the-top exuberance associated with Halloween, but doing that for me is as bad as saying bah humbug at Christmas. My kids really love the whole process of dressing up and getting an absolute butload of sweets, it's a real highlight of their year and I honestly don't understand why anyone would be down on it, as long as the children are polite, friendly and properly supervised.

Back in the dawn of time when I were a lad, about 35 years ago, we didn't do trick or treating, but there was always a party, with bobbing for apples and many horror themed activities. What did you do for Halloween when you were younger?

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 am 
Demi-goddess

We always went guising, which is the precursor of Trick or Treating - I think it might be a Scottish thing. We'd get dressed up, and mum and dad would take us round to their friends' houses. A whole bunch of Scots had moved down at the same time, so there was a little enclave who all took part. This is the difference: we had to do a party piece at each house before we got any treats. I learnt a little song about a witch that I used to sing every year. Then we'd have apple-bobbing and the treacle scone game (is that a Scottish thing too?). It's like apple bobbing, but the scones hang from a string in the air. MUCH stickier and messier than apple-bobbing. I feel the same way about T/T as you do Tao, but I think it's a shame some of the other games and traditions seem to have died out. We really loved the singing and dancing and getting messy bits of Halloween!

Same question - not coz I'm lazy, but coz I'm nosy :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:38 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Nothing, I wasn't allowed. My mother believed Halloween wasn't a real event and trick or treating would be teaching me the value of blackmail so when my friends went out to do it I would have to stay at home. She was weirdly overprotective of me when I was younger but in the sense that she was convinced I would become a criminal. She also believed if I went to visit my friends unsupervised we would form a street gang.
Now she lives out in very rural Ireland she's fine with it and goes with my little brother and sister to do it.

Are you any good at carving Jack O'Lanterns?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:43 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

If you are talking turnip ones, I got quite proficient as a kid. Then you could put a string through them, and carry them around.. All the time cooking the underside of the lid.

To JJs question, its a Scottish/Irish thing. Probably use to be a Welsh thing to, before Guy Fawkes was imported there. Any Welsh on to say if they had Halloween as a kid before the American version took over.

I also went guising. JJ your song wouldn't be "Holloweens coming on, the Goose is getting fat.. " would it?. Did bob for apples, but the hanging game was apples as well, also with different value coins in them.

Have people started to put out lights/decorations in your area? A la Christmas?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

No Hallowe'en decorations out yet, though some usually go up at the house on the corner, where they stay up til Christmas, with the addition of a few snowmen. Maybe they've moved.

Same question

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 am 
Demi-goddess

No, I've never really noticed many Halloween decs round here. We don't even get that many fireworks, apart from the organised display down the road.

Basileus wrote:
JJ your song wouldn't be "Holloweens coming on, the Goose is getting fat.. " would it?. Did bob for apples, but the hanging game was apples as well, also with different value coins in them.

No, it went "A Witch haaaaas a big, black hat. A Witch haaaaaaaas a big, black cat. She sits on her broomstick as she flies by and Woo-ooo-ooo-oo is her cry." You got money in your apples? That's ace!

Have you started any Christmas prep* yet?

*baking, making or buying gifts, etc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:56 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Only gift buying for my wife. I am banned from doing Christmas Prep by my wife before December. I may try to argue her down to mid November as I just like to be organised.

What unusual bits of Christmas Prep do you do every year?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Arranging Christmas carols for an assortment of ensembles (but always making sure that Frosty the Snowman can be found somewhere in the arrangement, rarely heard by the audience but obvious enough to the players that it will make them giggle as they are playing the arrangements)

Am I a complete humbug due to thinking that Christmas stuff should only be in shops IN DECEMBER?
(likewise Christmas concerts!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:27 pm 
Demi-goddess

Not at all, although I hope you allow the crafting caveat! We have to start our knitting/sewing/baking/card-making etc well before December and need to be able to buy supplies :longwink:

Do you feel that fireworks should only be sold to proper display organisers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:36 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
No. These days there are many public firework displays, and I suppose that should mean that the general public don't need to buy their own, but another highlight of my early childhood was going and buying fireworks, and anticipating setting them off.

I know there's always injuries caused by fireworks, but ultimately I think people should have the freedom to buy them, and not be nannied by anyone. My father would give me a box of bangers and a lighter at the age of 5 or 6 (not to mention the retail availability of powerful fireworks in Spain when I was 8, no questions asked), and while I'd never give my own children fireworks of their own I'd hate to deprive them of the experience I remember.

Penny for the Guy; good riddance or a sadly missed tradition?

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

A very much sadly missed tradition - certainly better than this Halloween rubbish that we have forced down our throats from all shops and the media.
(as an aside for the fireworks question - the ones purchased for public displays are VERY different to those you can buy in shops - MUCH more powerful and not suitable for the majority of home displays - having been involved in a number of public displays, I speak from experience)

If there was a film made of your life, who would be the least appropriate (but potentially quite amusing) person to play the role of you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Margaret Rutherford.

In the same vein, who would be the worst, but potentially the most amusing choice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:23 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Keanu Reeves, on the basis I don't spend nearly enough time looking bewildered to play to his strength. And he's atrocious at an English accent.

Taking a cue from Sandford's finest news publication: Describe your perfect Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Nothing. I don't have to do anything. Get up when I want, watch what I want, read what I want. Just relax. These are a real rarity now.

Same question

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:55 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Nothing in the morning - a lie in, time to read a book, have a relaxing late breakfast.
Afternoon spent with my Advanced Student Brass Ensemble - it might sound odd to put work in an ideal day, but they are such a great bunch of people that it is a real pleasure working with them and hearing what they produce. They also have cake at every rehearsal :)
Evening - back home to a roast with the perfect end being turning off all alarms in the knowledge that Monday has been cancelled!

Same again

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:59 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Hot chocolate & croissants for breakfast, lazy morning reading a great book, Sunday roast at a nice pub with a fire, short walk, curl up on the sofa with Mr H & a favourite film on the telly.

Can you swim?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:59 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Yes but poorly. My teachers were obsessed I didn't have the right technique so I was kept in the shallow pool. But the reason I didn't have technique was because my arms touched the bottom of the pool!

As Christmas approaches do you find yourself feeling happier or grumpier?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 am 

Happier, I may be middle aged but I look forward to Christmas. It is a nice time to see the family. My daughter is grown up now but my two nephews get loads of toys that I spend the day playing with. I am so stoked to have a lightsabre duel with them this year. :)

Same question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 pm 
Demi-goddess

Both? I simultaneously love and loathe the run up. Once I've got presents for the family sorted, I feel calmer, and I'm pretty good at getting prep out of the way. But there are always flashpoints where I have to work hard to keep myself on an even keel and remember it's not really that big a deal. It helps that Mr M refuses to let me cook anything other than the menu I've served every year since our first Christmas together. Personally I'd like to switch it up now and then, but I do have all those dishes down, which relieves a lot of stress.

Are you still at the extra jumper stage, or have you put the heating on?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:31 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The heating is on, but we don't have it very high - it gets stuffy and I get headaches - so I am in fact wearing a jumper. Best of both worlds!

What's your favourite currently airing TV show?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Doctor Who, always and forever :bigsmile:

Same question

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:36 am 

Star Wars Rebels.

Most missed TV show?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:19 pm 

PSN ID: veela_magnet
Saul Iscariot wrote:
Star Wars Rebels.

Most missed TV show?

I miss SMTV Live -- that was the best kids show ever!

Also, I would say that I miss Avatar, but it ended so satisfyingly, that I'm glad it ended when it did -- I dunno what's worse, a show that is cut short too early, or one that outstays its welcome for too long.

Same Q (not because I'm lazy -- well, I am, but that's not the point :P -- I'd like to hear what others think)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

The West Wing
Simply THE finest tv programme ever made and one of the few that I can watch again and again (I own every season on DVD and watch them all at least twice per year all the way through - the perfect way to spend a week or two)
HOWEVER - It ended perfectly and had lost none of the quality, better to stop at the top than continue until it died through a lack of quality.

Honourable mention also goes to The Adventure Game - would love to see how that programme might have developed with modern technology, effects and style of programme making.

Same again - made me think about some programmes that I miss and am interested to see if any more appear on here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:26 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Knightmare. Preferably do two versions, one for kids and one, still the same shows that lets adults have a go, because I still want to go on Knightmare.

Which show are you amazed and or dismayed got past one season

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Other than a lot of reality TV, I can't understand how The Following got a second series, let alone the third. It was an awful mess, with characters acting so idiotically and inconsistently they might as well have flipped over to a parallel universe each week. And they'd say so, too, so someone realised it was an issue and didn't fix it. And the most unconvincing psychopath baddie I've ever seen.

Same question.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 25 of 29   [ 898 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next