It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars Battlefront
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:34 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
Appears that we'll finally be getting some gameplay footage from EA DICE's Star Wars Battlefront next month at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim. Here's the link to the full story:

http://starwars.ea.com/news/battlefront ... elebration

It has been a while, with only the E3 videos from last couple of years, one the initial announcement vid, and a DICE video detailing the steps the studio were taking to make the game authentic (visiting the Lucasfilm Archives and the real movie locations around the world, etc) with some early in game engine footage, but other than that details have been pretty thin on the ground. This debut will clearly be intended as the wow factor to give us exactly what we've been waiting for, a very impressive gameplay demo which will assure us that the right people are on the job. I'm sure it'll knock our socks off, can't wait.

:banana:

Here's what we've been shown so far...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm 

Have they announced the PC requirements yet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Not yet, details are coming out, but they're a bit thin on the ground at the moment, more general gameplay related details rather than detailed technical specifications, though I'm sure that'll come soon, perhaps at E3?

Anyhow, forgot all about this thread, with the trailer for this breaking pretty much at the same time as the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer means the comments for both have kinda merged into one. Here's the latest trailer for the game and the details we know so far:

First, some of the details that are a little disappointing if true:

No space battles (C'mon, we managed to get full space battles in there with a mod for one of their older game engines [BF2142 with First Strike mod], seems to me the reason for this might be either to add it later as DLC, or they have plans for a space map specific game waiting in the wings, new X-Wing anyone?)
No SP (personally not bothered)
No Prequel trilogy (ditto)
Only 20 players a side (= small maps no doubt)
Only 4 planets/Maps (I'm doubtful of this, most likely these are just the maps they're prepared to tell us about at this time)

Further details that we have heard:

-Aim Down Sight in first person mode is in
-Certain special weapons are pick up items in the world
-Weapons seem to have a cool down mechanic as opposed to reloading, need more info
-No 3D spotting it seems
-Customizable characters(while keeping strictly authentic). Choosing the race of your character etc.

Last edited by TALON on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:20 pm 

I'd read four planets initially with several maps each, with more to be added. They've said that single player will have missions that can be played co-op, both local or online, which I am more than happy with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:39 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Well the E3 gameplay trailers are out and they're pretty damned awesome, check 'em out below:

I have to admit it was a bittersweet moment for me to see the gameplay for this finally. With our hard work on the Star Wars Battlefield 2142 mod First Strike I could see a lot of it in what was on show here, though obviously done a lot better than our non-profit efforts, but this in part was what we aimed to do with First Strike, fill that gap which was left empty by the last Star Wars Battlefront game and improve on that and bring it more into line with gritty Battlefield style gameplay, and also show EA and DICE that there was a market for this game (as if that was ever in doubt :p ), and encourage them in some small part in our efforts on First Strike to actually get in there and do a Battlefield engine and gameplay style based Star Wars game. Now that has happened and we can hang up our blasters and enjoy this game when it comes out like the millions of other fans out there who'll be chomping at the bit for this.

With the first video above (Co-Op Gameplay) I was very impressed with the feel and authenticity of the thing, a Tatooine based survival mode where a small Rebel group having escaped the Empire's clutches via escape pod from a captured Corellian Corvette (Rebel Blockade Runner) in orbit which is then blown to pieces by an Imperial Star Destroyer in the opening moments of the sequence. Is it Princess Leia's Tantive IV? Or another Rebel ship suffering a similar fate to that titular ship? It matters not, the scene is set and the circumstances feel authentic. Imperial forces are sent down from orbit to quash the Rebel survivors and all hell breaks loose as the Rebels must face wave after wave of increasingly more difficult foes until Rebel reinforcement space forces can arrive.

From a technical standpoint the graphics look lush, the hardware once again authentic looking with the Rebels packing A280s and DH-17 blasters from what I could tell, with different styles of firing for each. Weapon overheat was a visible gameplay factor with a Rebel needing to melee attack a Stormtrooper due to his blaster overheating. Both Rebel and Imperial forces had jetpack equipped classes which looked fun, and then there were other battlefield perks such as orbital strikes, heavy weapon pick-ups, etc. Weapons looked to have that standard console crosshair and aim assist type of thing going on, but the action looked good. I also liked the pods being sent down for the Rebels to capture and defend like dynamic flags. First Strike style withering fire seemed to have found it's way into the gameplay as Rebels were firing all weapons at the AT-ST Walkers when they eventually turned up, and one appeared to erupt on being hit by DH-17 blasterfire, unless the player happened to be firing at the target as an orbital strike took out the Walker, which is entirely possible. Whichever the case, on the strength of this gameplay footage I was quietly optimistic.

Then came the multiplayer game play footage. This was based entirely on a Hoth AT-AT Walker Assault Mode map. This one had the biggest sting in the tail for me as I had been working on a First Strike version of The Battle of Hoth as things all went to pot with EA cancelling support for their older games essentially rendering BF2142 obsolete and ringing the death knell for First Strike, but to be fair it was on it's way out long before then, and we had had Hoth in development on the back burner for some years, but on seeing their version of the Echo Base corridors and then hangar I was elated, but also seeing how strikingly similar it was to mine (well it would be they're both based on the same location and reference after all) quite gutted we didn't manage to get our version out to the public. It mattered not though, this was going to be awesome.

Then you get outside and you see TIE Fighters and X-Wings buzzing around and my heart sank. They have fallen for the same trap that I found the original Star Wars Battlefront ran foul of. Taking key battle locations and then just sacrificing authenticity for a larger canvas of gameplay. Personally if I'm playing The Battle of Hoth I want it to be as close to the movies as possible. Sure the sequence isn't going to be identical to the movie version, as gameplay obviously plays a part, but if you make such radical departures from the source material what is the point? On a Hoth battle map I want Imperial Walkers, Rebel Snowspeeders and perhaps logical extensions and embellishments so that the battle is essentially still the same in feel and authentic, but broadened out to see more of what went on than we see in the movies. So perhaps Snowtroopers on Speederbikes performing recon missions or striking outlying Rebel Outposts, perhaps Imperial Probe Droids taking a more offensive role in the battle itself. All things that could be happening while the main meat and potatoes of the battle is going on between Walkers and Snowspeeders. It would still feel authentic and just appear to be elements of the battle that we didn't see but were happening just beyond our vision in the movie. Slapping X-Wings and TIE Fighters all over it just might as well have shat all over it as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer The Battle of Hoth, but something else entirely. And don't get me started on the heroes/villains showing up at the end. I thought their inclusion ruined the last Star Wars Battlefront game, and they appear to have done the same here. Heck, they don't even have Luke wearing the appropriate gear for the time period the battle takes place in, with him wearing his Return of the Jedi style Jedi gear. Well at least they haven't gone the way of some earlier Star Wars games and gone and given the TIE Fighters missiles to balance them out against the X-Wings (touch wood).

:roll:

It almost made me want to continue with FS and bring out our vision of The Battle of Hoth via the Unreal 4 Star Wars mod that FS has merged with, and this could still happen, as every moment of that gameplay trailer I watched, for every good bit there was something that made me flinch and think how I'd have done that differently. I just don't understand what DICE are playing at here, they're harping on about going to the Lucasfilm Archives and getting all the research in to achieve an as great level of authenticity as possible, which visually and through sound design they certainly have done, but then throw that authenticity to the wind when it comes to the level design and gameplay. It is almost like someone went to all the trouble of recreating the Mona Lisa perfectly down to the cellular level, and then painting a big red nose and happy face over it or something. What gives?

I hope that maybe this is only one mode that is available on this map and that there maybe a more authentic truer to the movie gamemode that can be played, or EA and DICE are going to have a lot of unhappy punters on their hands. Who am I kidding though? It looks gorgeous, and it is Star Wars, people (myself included begrudgingly) are going to lap it up, plus the earlier Star Wars Battlefront had this issue playing free and loose with the lore of the locations featured in their maps, so why would this one be any different? I just hoped with this focus on authenticity and painstaking efforts to achieve movie like accuracy with their assets and locations that this new Battlefront would manage to avoid it.

So conflicted, want it bad, but hope it won't be as bad as I fear it might be. I think it'll be very good, but that there will be little niggly things that are going to annoy the hell out of me and drive me nuts.

:cussing: :banana: :applaud: :holyshit: :applaud: :banana: :cussing:

Like I said, conflicted....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:34 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Well here's a nice bit of SW:Battlefront spacecraft air combat footage.

Nice, love the look and sound of it. What did you think of the gameplay? Looked quite Rogue Squadron-esque, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Would prefer to execute evasive manoeuvres manually rather than them being slaved to a button, but I suppose they have to dumb it down a little for consoles. Still looks damned great though, you know it is going to rock, it is just how much and for how long?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:20 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/fight-for-pod-control-in-the-action-filled-drop-zone-mode

Here is a bit of an update on new modes that will be made available with Star Wars Battlefront, my favourite bit is the last paragraph on the Drop Zone mode article.

They've essentially remade First Strike's Endor Clearing!

:gasp:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/supremacy-mode-all-out-galactic-conquest

Supremacy seems to be big player numbers epic maps...

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/live-out-your-star-wars-dogfight-fantasies-with-fighter-squadron-mode

Fighter Squadron mode is essentially aerial vehicle only maps...

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/blast-mode-team-deathmatch-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away

Blast mode looks to be a smaller more intimate 10 v 10 team deathmatch style maps...

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/get-a-first-glimpse-of-the-battle-of-jakku-in-star-wars-battlefront

We also have the Jakku map, that if it even approaches the promise of the scale and scope seen in this image will be just mental.

Oh, and the Beta will be out in early October, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:36 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

All the info you need regarding the SW: Battlefront Beta next month.

:xwing:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/the-star-wars-battlefront-beta-is-coming-october-8th

The Star Wars Battlefront Beta is Coming October 8th

Get ready to be taken to a galaxy far, far away! Today, we are happy to reveal that the Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Beta will be available for PlayStation®4, Xbox One and on PC via Origin players between October 8 and October 12. The Star Wars Battlefront Beta is a technical test and will give Rebels and Imperials alike just a small taste of the Star Wars™ battle fantasies you can expect to live out when the game launches on November 17.

The Beta will let you experience three modes spread across three iconic planets including:

Walker Assault on Hoth: Fight in epic 40-player battles as a Rebel to destroy the Empire’s onslaught of AT-AT’s by calling in Y-wing bombers. Or, side with the Empire and protect your walkers while utilizing their mighty weaponry to crush the Rebel objective.

Drop Zone on Sullust: Escape pods are crashing down and you and your team must fight to control them. With its frantic 8v8 matches, Drop Zone is sure to put your combat and strategy skills to the test.

Survival Mission on Tatooine: Play alone or with a friend via co-op or split-screen as you battle to hold off waves of Imperial forces including AT-ST’s, TIE fighters, elite stormtroopers and more.
In addition to the Star Wars Battlefront Beta on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and on Origin for PC, you will also get a chance to try out the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience. Available during the Beta only at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com, the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience features the strategic card game Base Command, and lets you earn in-game Credits that unlock Star Cards, weapons, and more in Star Wars Battlefront. In addition to Base Command, the Companion also lets players check out game stats and progression, customize load-outs and appearance, connect with friends, and more.

Whether you look forward to crushing the Rebel scum or feel like you can take on the whole Empire by yourself, we look forward to seeing all you in the Star Wars Battlefront Beta on October 8th.

Be sure to sign up for the EA newsletter to get all the latest information on the Star Wars Battlefront Beta and other EA games.

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT F.A.Q.

What is the Star Wars Battlefront Beta?

The Beta is an opportunity for the team at DICE to test various aspects of the game and its online infrastructure. Because of this players may experience interruptions to their gameplay during the Beta period.
Do I need to register for the Beta?

The Star Wars Battlefront Beta is open to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Origin for PC players. There is no need to register. The Star Wars Battlefront Companion is available during the beta to all players with an EA Account at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com.
When is the Star Wars Battlefront Beta?

The Star Wars Battlefront Beta and Companion will be available on October 8 and will end on October 12. The Beta and Companion is open to players around the world, so everyone will get a chance to live out their Star Wars battle fantasies.
What time will the Beta and Companion be available on October 8?

Time will vary by platform and region. Please come back and visit the Star Wars Battlefront Beta hub or follow us on Twitter for all the latest information.
When will the Beta and Companion end?

The Beta will end on October 12. Exact times vary by platform and region.
Where can I find the Beta?

For PlayStation 4, the Beta will be available in the PSN Store. For Xbox One, players can find it in the Xbox Live Marketplace. On Origin for PC, it will be under the Demo & Betas section of the Origin store.
How big will the Beta download be?

On PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, the download will be around 7GB. On Origin for PC, the download will be close to 11GB.
Can I pre-load the Beta?

You can pre-load the Beta on Origin for PC beginning at 1am PT/10am CET on Wednesday, October 7th. Check https://www.origin.com/store/free-games/demos-betas on October 7th at 1am PT to start your pre-load.
Is there a level cap?

The Beta level cap with allow you to advance to level five. Once you hit the level cap you will no longer be able to progress to higher levels, though you will still be able to unlock items in the Beta.
Do my stats and progression carry over to the main game?

Stats and progression will not carry over to the final game or the final companion experience.
How many players does each mode support?

Walker Assault supports up to 40 players, 20 per side, with Drop Zone supporting 16. The Survival Mission can be played by yourself or with a friend via online co-op or local split-screen. Local split-screen is available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only.
Will there be a mobile app for the Companion?

During the Beta, the Companion will only be playable via browser at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com. Prior to the release of Star Wars Battlefront, the Companion will be available on web and in the Apple App Store™ and Google Play™ store. Note that stats and progression earned during the beta will not carry over to the final Companion experience.
What browsers does the Companion support?

The latest version of Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge, as well as Internet Explorer 11.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:09 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Beta now available for pre-download. Beta Testing officially starts tomorrow at 3pm from what I can tell. Already have it downloaded and am chomping at the bit to have a crack at this.

Just have to hope my rig can run it. What were those minimum specs again?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

just played an hour on the PS4 ..... Wow just WOW :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

how have you done this? I thought it wasnt due for another hour?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:23 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

forum time says 9:23 at the mo but the actual time for me right now is 10:24 the forums an hour behind it was released at 3 in the UK and it was about 4:40 when I posted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:29 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Got it now, looks pretty but the gameplay isn't all that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:53 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Yeah. Will write a full review of my feelings on the thing after the Beta closes, but yeah, Glunark covered it above in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:38 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Here are a few screenshots from the Star Wars Battlefront Beta, and my thoughts on testing it over the weekend. Initial thoughts are awesome looking game, but flawed from a gameplay perspective, but in my own case I may be bias. Every time I look at the game I see what I'd do differently rather than take it on face value, and also have baggage from being a veteran player of the original SW: Battlefront, so sometimes I feel I might be judging it on what it isn't (it certainly isn't anything like the original SW: Battlefront) rather than for what it is.

Here are few articles featuring some of the other game modes available. Also news of Ultimate Edition of the game, which is ultimately something akin to the BF4 Premium DLC program where you'll get access to further releases of content over time, hopefully this will include additional world locations, and *crosses fingers* space maps.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... te-edition

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... -star-wars

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... attlefront

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... -game-mode

Oh, and over 9 million players tested the beta over the weekend, result. Hopefully DICE takes the feedback given on board.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... front-beta

Now the dust/sand/snow has settled on the SW Battlefront Beta here are a few screenies. Personally I found the gameplay to be a little shallow, but with a multitude of game modes yet to be revealed, perhaps the depth I seek will be hidden among them. Anyhow, without question, it is a beautiful looking game.

Tatooine is nicely rendered in a co-op map that was featured in the Beta, and Sullust a planet mentioned in the movies, but never seen until now looks pretty stunning too. However I'm more looking forward to the more built up locations such as towns and bases, Bespin's Cloud City for example, or an Imperial installation or capital ship interior.

Still this is a great start. I just hope DICE take on board the feedback given by those 9 million that checked it out over the weekend, and this results in tweaks to certain aspects of the gameplay as there are issues with it, hopefully these get rectified before release, or at least in patches not long after.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:31 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Latest trailers for you to peruse at your leisure. One teasing the Battle of Jakku map, and the other a longer release trailer featuring all the new heroes recently announced and the larger battle modes on all the maps.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:22 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Check out this update on SW: Battlefront.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/planets

It looks like they're really going to town on the different modes available
at each location to maximise the use of each planet and make sure you
don't feel shortchanged by the relatively small number of worlds you get
to explore in the game. These interactive videos for each world do a good
job of highlighting this, and lets you explore them in some detail. Endor in
particular looks ridiculously lush, and a Speederbike Chase Mode? I'm sold.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:46 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

About an hour and 15 minutes before this goes live in the UK, chomping at the bit to get my mitts on the full game.

Let me at it already!

:madboogie:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:01 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Spent a few hours with this last night and it didn't get old, and have still not explored all the game modes. Still missing a trick with depth of gameplay and teamwork, but from a purely visceral experience this game really nails it with the sound design and sumptuous visuals. You do feel like you're running and gunning in the Star Wars universe so authentic does everything look and sound.

My previous gripes with the game still hold true unfortunately, that being the lack of teamwork orientated gameplay (missing a trick by not having multi-manned vehicles if you ask me) and lore accuracy in certain sequences (TIEs and X-Wings over The Battle of Hoth are never going to sit well with me), and even after heavy tweaking of the controls for the starfighters they still don't feel right, haven't used them in multiplayer yet, but have been giving them a go on the singleplayer missions just to see if I can get better with them with practice, but there is just some odd stuff going on like the flight dynamics just feel too restrictive, you should be able to roll and execute stomach churning manoeuvres, but this doesn't seem possible unless you use the preset evasive manoeuvre keys. Damned dumbing down for console bollocks.

However the vast number of different game modes has kept things fresh, and the weapons and perks, cards etc do allow you quite a bit of customisation for your character once you rank up and get access to a few more toys, and cinematic jaw dropping moments occur every other second so it is definitely a cracking and essential SW gaming experience. They even have a Tatooine map called Jundland Wastes with a Sandcrawler as the centerpiece of the map, made me feel right at home (First Strike has an almost identical map, right down to the name).

:longwink:

And just try to come away from a round of Speederbike Chase without a huge grin on your face.

Right back to it, not at work today, but have marking to do, still time for a few cheeky rounds though. Be rude not to wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 pm 

I have this on PS4, but as the thread for it is here I hope you don't mind me sharing my views on it in the PC thread? Firstly, the game is absolutely stunning. Some Star Wars games have shown off the best of what a console can offer, Rogue Squadron on the Gamcube was the yardstick I planned on using to judge this. And much like that game it isn't the best that the console has to offer, but I don't think I have seen a better looking Star Wars game. And the sound, well, that was always going to deliver.

But this is a video game, and does it deliver there? I think it does, but with a few niggles. I think there are some valid complaints being made about this game, but it gets some undeserved criticism as well. The complaints I've seen range from it only has four maps, it doesn't, to it has no depth or it is/isn't enough like Battlefield. I was always of the opinion that if it was a reskinned Battledfield I wouldn't buy it at launch, so I am pleased that it has tried to find its own feet. If there is a game it is similar to it is Nintendo's Splatoon. It is designed as a game you can drop in and out as suits you. Unfortunately that is one of the problems. Like Splatoon there isn't a way to communicate with other players. And as Talon says, this is problematic if you are stuck on a side that cannot seem to work together. I've seen people setting up camp on the edge of the map where they might not bump into another player and forget that they should be trying to secure and defend the droids we are meant to be looking for. It does get frustrating, but so far I have managed to live with it.

Straight up fights are fun, as even a relatively poor player like me gets a few kills and makes progress, so I feel like I am part of the game. I have tried Walker Assault as a Rebel and found that a little less fun, as once again, making a coordinated effort to secure the objectives. The same goes for the dog fight mode. They are fun, but I need to play these modes a little more to make a more informed opinion. Maybe they'll feel more rewarding as I, and other players, get more experienced? The single player modes are quite scant, but as Talon also said, riding a speeder bike is reward enough in itself. If they do a DLC pack of more places to play on the bike, or some multiplayer combat chases, then I'd be all over that like a rash. It is one of those games that feels like it needs a little more but is quite fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

All good with me. Yeah, there are a few niggles like you say, but time will tell how it fairs on the depth of gameplay front, if it gets too samey or old quick, or if the Star Wars gaming experience you get is just so visceral that it transcends that issue. The cinematic and epic moments I've had playing it so far makes me think that the wow factor and perhaps hidden depth to the gameplay as you become more familiar with it, and unlock more gadgets, might see it through, but undoubtedly DLC and further maps are going to be key to the games long term survival, and hopefully some tweaking of the gameplay goes in there too. Has certainly worked wonders for BF4 in my opinion, with their Premium DLC that has kept me playing it regularly for two plus years now.

My major gripe has been with the canon battle maps not really representing how these appeared in the movies, primarily Hoth, but they have got around that by making the main combat maps Beta Outpost or something instead of Echo Base (though it should be noted that I think the smaller Blast game mode map that happens entirely within the base looks to be the proper authentic Echo Base, as it features the Falcon in the hangar, and the details are all correct. I know, I was building the same location for the aborted Hoth map for First Strike for years on and off), so that you're not replaying that classic sequence, but some other imagined engagement elsewhere on Hoth while the battle we all know and love was also taking place. Explains away why it is so different I guess, but still feels like a cop out. Do the right thing and bring out a proper cinematic Battle of Hoth that is more true to the movie version in DLC at some point, that would make me very happy.

The other thing missing, other than proper full on space maps (Battle of Yavin, Space Battle of Endor anybody?), are the more built up locations. Where is a Tatooine town based map such as Mos Eisley? Or an interior Blast map based within Jabba's Palace, or covering the raid on the Tantive IV? Or Bespin: Cloud City? Those locations would make for epic maps. They certainly did in the original SW Battlefront. Fingers crossed for them to turn up in the DLC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 am 

It is one of the odd things I have noticed with a few Battlefrield veterans, they are complaining that the content we should have gotten is hidden behind a paywall. Whilst BF4 offered more content at the beginning, 10 maps with 7 modes of play, Battlefront offers a variety of modes tied to particular maps. BF4 gave you 70 variations, Battlefront 55. So it isn't as lacking as some people try to imply. And they seem to have forgotten that a lot of the DLC, though not all, in BF4 was paid for content. We'll be getting the Battle of Jakku DLC in a few weeks free. So hopefully it will be much like BF4 in offering paid for and free DLC. I haven't opted for the season pass yet, I do want to see what is offered, but I know I'll get it at some point.

You are right about the classic locations being an omission, though I don't feel as aggrieved by their absence. Maybe the aforementioned Battle of Jakku will address that? There are some complaints along similar lines. I read that after the Beta Dice changed some of the maps, most notably Hoth. This was because the Rebels were struggling to win. To me, that shouldn't be an issue. I want to see the Rebels struggle in such a classic scenario. I don't mind seeing them take down a walker. But it shouldn't be easy, and there should be a cut scene that shows all they've managed to achieve was buy some time for the escape vehicles to evacuate. But I wouldn't mind seeing some classic locations, and Jabba's Palace is a great shoot. It is recognisable, and could let the devs set up some great design for corridor combat.

I am less concerned about space maps. I've seen people struggle to follow the objectives and combat when they are planet side and have noticeable markers to orientate themselves. I think space combat might be a struggle for some. It could work, defending space stations or capital ships, or attacking the Death Star. I just need to get some more time to myself. Working twelve hour shifts then the hour walk home doesn't leave enough time in the day. Still four days off after Tuesday should see me get some proper time in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Indeed, you can clearly see that the abundance of game modes is to compensate for the smaller number of planets covered, but at least a lot of the game modes use different locations within that planet, so it is not like you're just getting a dozen different game modes in the same location. I still haven't played them all yet, and I've put a fair few hours into this game already (had a couple of days off). With the hidden paywall thing, that is just a matter of perception due to the small number of worlds, it feels like less content, but when you factor in the game modes it isn't really that much less, and like you say, people seem to have short memories regarding the DLC for BF4, to me though it was worth every penny, with improvements to the core game as well as additional content. Hope the same is the case here.

Oh, and space maps would totally work, and DICE knows this, we had them in First Strike, and DICE even invited the team to their studio so they could have an opportunity to play our mod which was cool. That was way back in the early days, so at that point I think it was Escape from Hoth (get your Rebel Transports past the ISD waiting in orbit to the hyperspace jump point), Battle of Taloraan (capital ships and starfighters in a big deep space scrap), and possibly The Battle of Yavin, can't remember if we'd released that by the time of the DICE visit. And since then the space maps got more sophisticated with a lot of X-Wing game inspired maps such as Imperial Convoy Raid, which detailed a classic Rebel hit and fade mission on an Imperial convoy, and Strike at Parmel (a starfighter death-match essentially, with a contested space station as the centerpiece), and this was all with the old engine used for BF2142, so it can certainly be done, and done well with Frostbite 3.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:36 pm 

Ah, don't get me wrong on space battles. If there is a convoy or such as a point of reference I can see it working. But not twenty ships in empty space. I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:54 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Yeah, points of reference are important in space maps, be they capital ships, or worlds appearing large in the skybox. That was one of the key reasons for including a space station in that starfighter death-match map, to have a point of reference to home in on, but also it was hella fun ducking and diving between the sections of the station while trying to shake a bogey off your tail and watching their demise as they misjudge a turn and collide with an outcropping structure. Very satisfying.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

If you want a little extra sneak peek at The Force Awakens location of Jakku check out the Dec DLC for SW: Battlefront, the new Jakku map is pretty awesome, probably one of the best most epic maps in the game. Check out the gameplay vids and trailers below:

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:11 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlef ... road-ahead

At last we have some news on SW:BF DLC, there is a new update on the way that'll get us heroes in appropriate kits for the maps, it sounds pretty insignificant, but that is a big deal, for me seeing Luke in his Jedi outfit rather than the appropriate cold weather gear, and the correct lightsaber really ruined the immersion factor for me on the Hoth maps. Other pluses are private matches at last, which is a big thing, should make matchmaking with friends a lot easier.

But the big news is what we'll be getting with the future Season Pass expansion packs, pretty much what we all expected, but still good to see officially confirmed. Bespin and the Death Star will finally be making an appearance together with an old SW:BF fave Jabba's Palace. This is great news, but people could argue this should have been included with the original game release. Would be nice to see more built up city like locations on some of the currently appearing worlds, such as a map based on Mos Eisley for Tatooine for example. There is an expansion pack still without content revealed which we can guess will be based on sequel movies TFA and perhaps Rogue One locations, but the thing still conspicuous by its absence are true space maps. Not there because we're going to get a dedicated Star Wars space battle game like X-Wing? We can only hope.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

As a precursor to the first of the DLC map packs we've already been getting new content in Feb, and it is starting to shape up into the Star Wars Battlefront game we have wanted from the get go. Maybe it is just me with a bit of an OCD problem, or being a bit of a stickler for lore accuracy, but the addition of proper skins for the heroes for the appropriate maps has made a big difference for me. Seeing Luke running around on Hoth with a green lightsaber and his Return of the Jedi garb just had me facepalming on the release of the game. Han in his Bespin gear was a little annoying, but at least the time period was correct. So seeing the familiar and correct blue lightsaber across the frozen wasteland of a battlefield, and getting chopped up by Luke in the appropriate Hoth gear was heartening. As was playing a Heroes vs. Villains match on Hoth and seeing the big three all in the correct clobber. In addition to this to my surprise when playing on Endor last night I saw Leia was now in her correct Rebel Commando poncho for that environment too. Was as the result of a community challenge that I must have just completely missed somehow. It doesn't add that much to the gameplay, but having the heroes in the appropriate skins does wonder for immersion, which is very much something this game trades on. So it is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

The other big addition with the Feb update was the addition of a new map, a Twilight Hoth map taking place in some ice fields and caves near a downed Gallofree Transport, makes for interesting gameplay and is quite different in feel to the main Hoth map. Finally there is the fact that now the Turning Point game mode which was introduced with the Jakku map has now been added to all large scale maps, which gives them a unique twist on how those same maps were used before and results in quite different gameplay on these familiar maps. You also get a new co-op/singleplayer experience in the Hoth Ice Caves map which makes for a nice addition if that stuff floats your boat.

And all of this is just a free taster before the first map pack titled Outer Rim comes out next month featuring Jabba's Palace (a favourite from the original game, so if they do a worthy homage to that map this could really be something) and Sullust Factory, and a new game mode, I'm wondering if this is going to be some interior environment close quarters style game mode or something based on the maps we appear to be getting. And following this is Bespin, Death Star, and an as yet undisclosed fourth map pack. Certainly seems to be a good year to be a Star Wars gamer fan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am 

They still need to patch in something to stop the Stormtroopers appearing without their helmets. It is the single most annoying thing that breaks the immersion IMHO. I know you've said about the heroes costumes in the past, and whilst I don't find it as intrusive, if they are going to correct this then they need to sort out the Stormtroopers as well. I haven't had a chance to try out the new map yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Saul Iscariot wrote:
They still need to patch in something to stop the Stormtroopers appearing without their helmets. It is the single most annoying thing that breaks the immersion IMHO. I know you've said about the heroes costumes in the past, and whilst I don't find it as intrusive, if they are going to correct this then they need to sort out the Stormtroopers as well. I haven't had a chance to try out the new map yet.

I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately they aren't going to alter that as they've added that as an element of player character customisation, and while appropriate for the Rebels, especially the alien species you get to unlock, it is totally out of place for the stiff rank and file style of the Empire (I guess they couldn't give that option to only one faction and not the other, even though it would have been more appropriate from a lore perspective if they had). On the Empire front I think I only unlocked the different Trooper classes, though, no, that is a lie, I did pick one un-helmeted Stormtrooper avatar which looked like me, but rarely used it. There is president for un-helmed Stormtroopers as they are sometimes seen in certain EU tales where they are trying to humanise the Imperial troops a little more, but these occasions are rare, and to see the sheer number of players who go helmet-less when playing as Imperials in this game, it does as you say break the immersion somewhat.

The new map is good and well worth checking out, as are the maps that have just been given the Turning Point mode, is interesting to see how those play out, and just how it plays with different mode objectives for these tried and tested maps, makes quite a difference to the way the maps are played, fighting over slightly different objective areas etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

So first proper DLC arrives tomorrow for those who have gone with the Season Pass, no additional planets with this one, but new maps on existing ones, Sullust Factory (or something like that), and Jabba's Palace, together with new Nien Numb & Greedo hero characters. Though who's hero Greedo is? Is anybody's guess.

:lol:

At last we'll see if this Season Pass is worth the price we paid for it. Many Bothans died to bring us this DLC.

:p

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next