It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Alita: Battle Angel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
I can't believe there isn't a thread for this movie yet. Has anyone seen it yet? I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and now it is here it does not disappoint. Not going to spoil it here for anyone, but what a cracking movie. Get it watched now. Worth seeing in IMAX too as this movie needs a BIG screen.

:applaud: :thumbs: :applaud:

Post subject: Re: Alita: Battle Angel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
I know very little about it but I've been thinking about going and seeing it. Unfortunately my son is unconvinced so it's probably more likely I'll wait for the home release. I do have a 60 inch telly and 5.1 surround, that'll probably do, right?

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I liked it. It was a good to look at as I expected but I thought it was a criminal waste of Oscar winning actors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm 

It's not looking good for the film however , it's only February and it looks like it's going to be one of the flops of the year

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/alita ... 202041681/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

johnone wrote:
It's not looking good for the film however , it's only February and it looks like it's going to be one of the flops of the year

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/alita ... 202041681/

Who greenlights these non superhero films with superhero budgets? In what world could this film make $600m? Madness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

China I guess? To be honest it is refreshing to see a big budget sci-fi actioner that doesn't have Marvel or DC tacked on at the beginning. Thing is with James Cameron involved, even only in a writer/Producer role, a studio is going to take a punt isn't it? Lets face it, this probably wouldn't even have got made with out Cameron's involvement. I thought it was pretty brilliant myself, yeah, mostly visual effects eye candy, but I thought it was a cracking movie with lots of potential for the sequel (so I hope it doesn't flop). Have heard of the character before, but never read the Manga, so not really all that familiar with her lore, and how faithful this is to the source material, but with the rich world building that has been done here, and the engaging characters? I'd love to see more. Even if it was a prequel and we got a chance to see more of her kicking arse on the Moon. The backstory that we see glimpses of in flashbacks was really intriguing, I wanna see THAT movie too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

TALON wrote:
China I guess?

China is the last hope of any studio that has made an egregious fuck up. They only receive half as much of the Chinese gross as they do the US gross so it takes a huge hit in China to make up for an American flop. More often you get something like Aquaman where the Americans like it but the Chinese love it so the Chinese box office is just gravy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:02 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Well I think considering the source material this will rake it in in the Eastern market. I also wouldn't consider this a fuck up even if it doesn't make back it's money. I thought it was a great film, and hopefully after a relatively slow opening weekend it'll get legs through word of mouth. Too often movies are rated by how much money they made, matters more to me if I enjoyed it or not. We don't want to drop off that dangerous precipice where studios only bankroll safe bet franchise movies, or as much as I love comic book action movies, the cinema might become a boring and formulaic place. Go get 'em Alita!

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Film companies aren't charities. If it loses loads of money then they never should have made it. I don't mind a film that has a reasonable plan for getting into the black even if it doesn't work out but this film deserves to be bracketed with other vanity projects that could never make money like Valerian.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Of course movie studios aren't charities, but personally I don't feel this movie should be written off as a folly or vanity project, that label should be reserved for movies that have no broad appeal and are clearly only being made to appease a director so he'll make more mainstream fare for them in future that will make the studio money. I don't think Alita falls into that category at all. Sure it has been a pet project of James Cameron's for years, but he isn't directing it, and the movie is great and deserves to do well in my opinion. Sure it'll be hard to make that mega budget back, but stranger things have happened, and as I said earlier the material should make for good returns in the East that may yet save it's bacon. Just have to agree to disagree on this one I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Saw the film over the weekend, I really enjoyed it. Critics weren't overly enthused about it but for me it hit all the right notes. The visuals were impressive and they melded effects with live footage pretty seamless

I'd love for there to be a sequel

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]