It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 82 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

A few awards were offered out this weekend

The Directors Guild Award went to Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma" reinforcing its position as a front-runner for the Oscars at the end of the month

The Art Directors Guild handed out awards to BLACK PANTHER, (Fantasy Film), CRAZY RICH ASIANS (Contemporary Film), ISLE OF DOGS (Animated) and THE FAVOURITE (Period Film).

While The Annie Awards gave their award to Into The Spider-Verse

The Editors at the ACE awards, gave theirs to Bohemian Rhapsody (Dramatic) and The Favourite (Comedic)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 am 

Think it's safe to say Spider man will take the Oscar

Roma has to be the favourite now.

Meanwhile the AARP (Association of retired persons) held their movies for Grown up awards last night , here are the winners.

Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups
Green Book

Best Actress
Glenn Close, The Wife

Best Actor
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress
Judi Dench, All Is True

Best Supporting Actor
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Director
Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman

Best Screenwriter
Nicole Holofcener, Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Ensemble
Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Grownup Love Story
What They Had

Best Intergenerational Film
Mary Poppins Returns

Best Time Capsule
If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Documentary
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Best Foreign Film
Roma (Mexico)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 am 

It's the BAFTAS Sunday night and the big news is Bryan Singer has been suspended from the Nominations, While Bohemian Rhapsody remains a nominee in Best British picture . BAfta issued this statement
"In light of recent very serious allegations, BAFTA has informed Bryan Singer that his nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody has been suspended, effective immediately.

BAFTA considers the alleged behaviour completely unacceptable and incompatible with its values. This has led to Mr Singer’s suspended nomination. BAFTA notes Mr Singer’s denial of the allegations. The suspension of his nomination will therefore remain in place until the outcome of the allegations has been resolved.

For the avoidance of doubt, Bohemian Rhapsody remains nominated in the Outstanding British Film category, and the other individuals named as candidates in respect of the film remain nominees.

BAFTA believes everyone has the right to a fulfilling career in a safe, professional working environment, and it will continue to collaborate with the film, games and television industries to achieve this.
BAFTA will make no further statement on this matter during the period of suspension."

Now personally I don't know how I feel about this, The Atlantic Article is only the latest in a long line of serious allegations made against Singer but to suspend before any of these allegations are proven true sets a dangerous precedent. If Singer is Innocent (which personally I doubt) this action could bite BAFTA on the ass.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 pm 

The BAFTAS were held tonight , here are the winners.

BEST FILM
ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez

LEADING ACTRESS
OLIVIA COLMAN
The Favourite

LEADING ACTOR
RAMI MALEK
Bohemian Rhapsody

DIRECTOR
ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
THE FAVOURITE
Yorgos Lanthimos, Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday, Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
BEAST
Michael Pearce (Writer/Director), Lauren Dark (Producer)

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez

DOCUMENTARY
FREE SOLO
Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin

ANIMATED FILM
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
THE FAVOURITE
Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BLACKkKLANSMAN
Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel, Kevin Willmott

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
RACHEL WEISZ
The Favourite

SUPPORTING ACTOR
MAHERSHALA ALI
Green Book

ORIGINAL MUSIC
A STAR IS BORN
Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Lukas Nelson

CINEMATOGRAPHY
ROMA
Alfonso Cuarón

EDITING
VICE
Hank Corwin

PRODUCTION DESIGN
THE FAVOURITE
Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton

COSTUME DESIGN
THE FAVOURITE
Sandy Powell

MAKE UP & HAIR
THE FAVOURITE
Nadia Stacey

SOUND
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
John Casali, Tim Cavagin, Nina Hartstone, Paul Massey, John Warhurst

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
BLACK PANTHER
Geoffrey Baumann, Jesse James Chisholm, Craig Hammack, Dan Sudick

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
ROUGHHOUSE
Jonathan Hodgson, Richard Van Den Boom

BRITISH SHORT FILM
73 COWS
Alex Lockwood

EE RISING STAR
Letitia Wright

OUTSTANDING BRITISH CONTRIBUTION TO CINEMA
Stephen Woolley and Elizabeth Karlsen

BAFTA FELLOWSHIP
Thelma Schoonmaker

No real surprises here , The FAVOURITE was going to dominate at a level that it will not at the Academy awards, ( the Fight for Best Actress however is between Close and Colman)
However Roma Has to be now a serious contender for best Picture (unheard of for a film in a foreign Language) while Cuaron has to be a dead cert for best director.
the Favourite took best british picture ( almost a certainty since December) still it saves BAFTA any further controversy over Bohemian Rhapsody
Best actor is now a fight between Bale and Malek and it could go either way while Ali surely now has to join the select band of actors who have won Best supporting actor twice while Spider Man now if it doesn't win Best Animated will be the shock of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am 

A lot of people are annoyed today with the announcement that four of the Academy Awards will now take place during ad breaks Cinematography, Live Action Short, Hair and Makeup will still be streamed live but will be cut out of the telecast to keep it to three hours ( We dare not suggest less ad breaks :) )
https://deadline.com/2019/02/oscars-aca ... 202555085/

(Personal note) Just to let everyone know , a few months ago My wife and myself brought a house, we move in three days time unfortunately my internet provider has informed me it could take up to three weeks to get back online so this means I will be unable to comment or speculate any further in the run up to The Academy awards...so I do expect you guys ( especially DAVEVANK) to carry on without me but here are a few of my predictions

Best Film : It's either ROMA or GREEN BOOK at this stage. (Personally I think it's ROMA's but again if it wins film in a foreign Language than it may not take Best Picture

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Best Actress: The first of the too close to calls ( it's either Colman or Close) it could go either way.

Best Actor: Second of the Too close to calls, it was looking like Bale ( and he still has the slightest edge I think) But Malek is the surprise of the awards season...it again could go either way.

Supporting Actor: I'll go with Richard E Grant on this one and say Mahershala Ali

Supporting Actress: this one is unpredictable it could be Stone or Weisz ( I would hedge towards Weisz) however there is also Regina King for If Beale Street could talk , this could be the category the academy uses to show how politically relevant it is (it's not though) and pick Beale because Beale st will not be garnering any other awards.

Best Screenplay: Could be anyone's ( as Long as it's not Green Book which was just a series of Cliches.) However there has been controversy with this nomination as there have been fairly obvious attempts to derail Green Books chances.

Adapted Screenplay: BlacKKKlansman personally thought it was weak but this is the award they will give Lee

Best Song: Shallow this is the award they will give A Star is Born as a consolation prize

Best Documentary: Free Solo however again if Hollywood is going to make a political statement then they will give it to RBG

Best Foreign Language: ROMA...however if ROMA does not win than that's probably the definite sign it''s taking home the big one. COLD WAR is it's big rival.

Best Animated feature: oh come on it's Spider Mans to lose.

Those are the categories I will be willing to predict, however watch out for controversy with live action short, if Detainment wins expect outrage from the tabloid press over how the film "exploits" the death of James Bulger, hmmmm throw stones in glass houses much?

Right I will be back in a few weeks to do a summation on the awards ...better start preparing my speech now :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

I've seen a lot of complaints about pushing some awards to the advert breaks, but people forget that it's a TV Show with ever declining ratings. Your Average ABC Viewer doesn't particularly care about awards for Hair and Make-up.

The recipients should be thankful, they could be relegated to the Technical Academy Awards (which were held last Saturday Night). So at least they get to go to the night itself, unlike the inventor of the Steady Cam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Not surprisingly the Academy have reversed their decision about not televising all the awards:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/all- ... 203141496/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

WGA Awards

With just weeks to go to the Oscars we're already in a state of winding-down, with the WGA's held over the weekened

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Screenplay by Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Based on the book by Lee Israel; Fox Searchlight

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Eighth Grade
Written by Bo Burnham; A24

Both were outfield choices having played little in the run-up so-far but due to the ineligibility of many of the Oscar favourites these results have caused no-one to rethink the odds for the front-runners for both awards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Oscars

And so Oscar Season comes to an end

Best picture Green Book
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
Best actress: Olivia Colman - The Favourite
Best actor: Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody
Best supporting actress : Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk
Best supporting actor: Mahershala Ali - Green Book
Best original screenplay: Green Book
Best adapted screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
Best animated feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best foreign language film: Roma - Mexico

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Seems fair to me. All the best films get a prize.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I find it kinda hard to justify Green Book winning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

darkman wrote:

Not really it was a lot of people's 2nd and 3rd favourite film which is always going to help it in preferential voting . If Black Panther or Roma didn't win outright then neither were people's 2nd or 3rd favourite film

Roma has many things going against it, first the Netflix issue, Academy Members don't like the idea of Netflix releasing the film in a limited number of cinemas for a couple of weeks just to qualify it for Awards Season. They turned a blind eye with HBO and its documentaries but they hate the idea that the likes of Focus Pictures, Searchlight ...etc. may just do the same thing

Cinema Chains are already loathe to show films where the majority of the audience steadfastly complains about people eating in cinemas. If they can find a good reason to just show these films in smaller distributions and for fewer weeks they'll jump at the chance

Then there's the Foreign Language aspect, not many people in the Academy actually watched Roma because it was in a foreign language. People have the wrong idea of the Academy. If you know people who didn't watch Roma because it was in B&W and they had to read Subtitles then there's every reason to believe Academy voters are the same. They aren't forced to watch every film in the Best Picture category and many didn't watch it let alone vote for it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:05 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

davevank wrote:
darkman wrote:

Not really it was a lot of people's 2nd and 3rd favourite film which is always going to help it in preferential voting .

What I mean is: I can see why it did win, but I have a hard time saying that it deserved to win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Always fun to look at those first events that kicked off the Season

The Ladies Who Lunch (National Board of Review)

Code:
Best Film: GREEN BOOK
Best Director: Bradley Cooper, A STAR IS BORN
Best Actor: Viggo Mortensen, GREEN BOOK
Best Actress: Lady Gaga, A STAR IS BORN
Best Supporting Actor: Sam Elliott, A STAR IS BORN
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Best Original Screenplay: Paul Schrader, FIRST REFORMED
Best Adapted Screenplay: Barry Jenkins, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Best Animated Feature: INCREDIBLES 2
Best Foreign Language Film: COLD WAR
Best Documentary: RBG
Best Ensemble: CRAZY RICH ASIANS

"A Star is Born" is probably the most notable of films to start in so many lists but just didn't show up in the eventual Oscars

Full marks of choosing "Green Book" as their best film though

New York Film Critics

Code:
Best Film: Roma (Netflix)
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón, Roma (Netflix)
Best Actor: Ethan Hawke for First Reformed (A24)
Best Actress: Best Actress, Regina Hall, Support the Girls (Magnolia Pictures)
Best Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant for Fox Searchlight’s Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Fox Searchlight)
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk (Annapurna)
Best Screenplay: First Reformed (Paul Schrader) (A24)
Best Cinematography: Roma, Alfonso Cuaron (Netflix)
Best Foreign Language Film: Cold War (dir. Pawel Pawlikowski) (Amazon)
Best Documentary: Minding the Gap (dir. Bing Liu)
Best Animated Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (dirs. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman)

The Critics Circles loved "First Reformed" but it failed to make the leap from Critics to Guilds, at least "Social Network" made the Guild Nominations, "First Reformed" was largely forgotten by January

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

davevank wrote:
If you know people who didn't watch Roma because it was in B&W and they had to read Subtitles then there's every reason to believe Academy voters are the same.

Know those people? I am those people! For me it was less of a slog to go to the cinema to see all the other nominees rather than do that at home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:27 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Kang the Conqueror wrote:
davevank wrote:
If you know people who didn't watch Roma because it was in B&W and they had to read Subtitles then there's every reason to believe Academy voters are the same.

Know those people? I am those people! For me it was less of a slog to go to the cinema to see all the other nominees rather than do that at home.

I still haven't seen Roma either :) Somehow people think that Academy Voters are somehow purer and watch every nominated film and carefully consider the merits of each film before they cast their votes

In reality, many will only see a handful of films and vote for one because their friend's nephew is in it. Many Oscar threads ago I mentioned a Academy voter I knew who always voted for Meryl and only voted for "Precious" because everyone else was doing so. I think they've never watched it to this day "not their type of thing"

One reason the Academy don't release the number of votes is that people would be horrified how few are voting in categories such as Short Animated Film (sorry John)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 am 

The music has ended and the cleaners have just left as Johnone comes running onto the stage to give his final view on this years awards season.

So I'm back online after an enforced absence (only got the internet in today at our new home) ...Before I begin I want to say thanks to the usual suspects who helped make this thread.

So awards season has ended and what did I think? Well...to be honest none of the films that took the awards this season would have featured so prominently any other year. Not since the eighties and Meryl Streep talking about "once having a farm in Ahfrikaaaa!" have I seen an awards season so filled with average. Yes Olivia Colman took the award for Best Actress beating out Glenn Close but here's the thing , Although both performances dominated awards season, the films themselves were utterly forgettable. Same with Rami Malek , a deserved Oscar beating out a brilliant Christian Bale but are Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice classics? No! Alfonso Cuaron did deserve Best Director But Roma any other year would have been a minor work ( and let's not forget Roma was handicapped by the fact it was a Netflix production which would have played against it from traditional Hollywood) Green Book as best picture ? It was... fine but that was all it was ( no way a retread of driving miss Daisy should have won) and should have been quickly forgotten but as I said before this was an exceptionally poor year what else was there? In fact the only film that truly was worthy of the Oscar and it's accolades was Spider Man . this was a film that showed more spirit verve and originality than any of it's live action counterparts. Our only hope is that the 2020 award nominations will be will be better than this. I mean they have to be , right?....

With that Johnone throws away his notes and calmly walks to the entrance only to find they locked the doors already , his plaintive cries of release will echo through the empty hall unheard until next November when the whole thing starts again :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
:lol:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Couldn't agree more, nothing in there really blew me away other than Spider Man, but then that is so often the case with awards baiting movies, but usually there is some example of excellence that no one could argue with, but this year I just didn't see it. To be honest I still need to catch up on half of these films, has been a poor year for me with regards to getting to the cinema as often as I'd like. That's what having two little kids will do to ya.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:25 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

A late addition to this thread - the Kermode Awards for performances that weren't even nominated.

https://play.acast.com/s/kermodeonfilm/ ... isouthbank

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 82 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3