Still not convinced though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
It seems at the moment that it is these standalone movies which are doing the most fan service to fans of the original trilogy, with Rogue One, and now this expanding our view of the galaxy in that era, so getting to have their cake and eat it too by showing us the familiar and also something new. What is most interesting to me is (MILD SPOILER) that if they follow the established backstory of the character, Solo will begin his journey signing up for the Imperial military, which will mean they’ll have to paint the Empire in an interesting light and make it not so black and white, good and evil as things appeared in the original movies. After all the Imperial military was massive, and though those at the top were outright evil so and sos, the rank and file weren’t necessarily. So what would make them join up? In the trailer we see what looks like a recruitment centre or something, and an Imperial recruitment officer saying you’ll love it. You can imagine the rest of his spiel being something along the lines of “Join the Imperial Navy and see the galaxy, while proudly bringing order and peace.” It is almost more details like this that I’m interested in seeing on the big screen as much as Han’s story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Boy this film can't get a break.

Now I liked the posters.

But boy, side by side you really can't claim "homage"

https://geektyrant.com/news/looks-like- ... bum-covers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Yeah, that comparison is pretty damning. The colour palette is pretty much identical on most of those posters.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Anyone else seen it??

Far more enjoyable than TLJ & a worthy addition to the catalogue/franchise/canon.

As for that cameo... :eek: :cool:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Okay, come back from seeing Solo tonight, and have to say that was pretty good, and where it could go if the decide to expand it into a trilogy could be pretty interesting. Chock full of fan service and nods to not just the original trilogy, but the animated series Clone Wars and Rebels too. Heck even a bad Star Wars game from the 90’s gets a bit of love with a throwaway line. Also Easter Eggs aplenty. Everyone spot the Indiana Jones reference? Anyway, I thought it was great.

And... that... cameo?

Wow, just wow.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

TALON wrote:
Okay, come back from seeing Solo tonight, and have to say that was pretty good, and where it could go if the decide to expand it into a trilogy could be pretty interesting. Chock full of fan service and nods to not just the original trilogy, but the animated series Clone Wars and Rebels too. Heck even a bad Star Wars game from the 90’s gets a bit of love with a throwaway line. Also Easter Eggs aplenty. Everyone spot the Indiana Jones reference? Anyway, I thought it was great.

And... that... cameo?

Wow, just wow.

Indiana Jones reference???
Missed that!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:04 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Have to do a Spoilerified Easter Egg Hunt, there was a lot of fan service in there to look out for and pick up on. Now to that Indy reference...

Spoiler:
In Driden’s Trophy Room/Penthouse, among his many trinkets you’ll spot the golden idol from the first sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

TALON wrote:
Have to do a Spoilerified Easter Egg Hunt, there was a lot of fan service in there to look out for and pick up on. Now to that Indy reference...

Spoiler:
In Driden’s Trophy Room/Penthouse, among his many trinkets you’ll spot the golden idol from the first sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Okay, here’s a couple more I spotted, once again, spoilered up, and in no particular order:

Spoiler:
So I spotted these, probably countless others to pick
on. First up the aforementioned idol from Raiders, then there’s Qi’ra’s marshal art which is name checked as Teras Kasi, the mediocre Star Wars does Street Fighter game that came out in the late 90’s/early 00’s. The Pyke Syndicate, aliens in charge of Kessel, have appeared before in animated form in The Clone Wars animated series, though awesomely, this was our first look at a live action version of the species (pretty faithful to the look established in that show too), on a similar note, watchers of The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels will also be slightly less shocked than other cinemagoers regarding the return of Darth Maul, as it is already established that he returns and is alive, in these shows. In The Clone Wars he uses the galactic underworld to build an Empire for himself. So this story plays well into that. We also find out Maul’s ultimate fate in Rebels. The criminal organisation that he appears to run, Red Dawn, also riffs off of the organised crime syndicate that appeared in the 90’s multimedia Star Wars experiment Shadows of the Empire, Black Sun under the leadership of Prince Xizor. Now I’m trying to remember what else there was? Oh yeah, the blue Speeder Han steals at the beginning is most likely inspired by the 50’s era American car the Ford Falcon, it has a similar boxy shape, most distinctive, and the best evidence for this are the speeder’s round red glowing thrusters which look almost identical to the tail lights on the Ford Falcon, which was a nice touch. Other elements that come to mind, Han & Chewie’s first encounter riffed heavily off the Rancor scene from Return of the Jedi, and also the scene in the cell where a blind Han gets thrown in to discover Chewie’s in there. Lando’s Skiff Guard disguise from ROTJ makes an early appearance as Beckett uses it during the Kessel caper. A throwaway line from Lando also suggests that Beckett killed Aurra Sing, a Bounty Hunter/Merc that appeared briefly in TPM, but then appeared extensively in the EU. There are also a lot more EU references, they explain why the Kessel Run is so tricky by using pretty much the exact same reason as featured in the EU, hyperspace navigation made tricky due a dense star and black hole cluster at the centre of the nebula known as the Maw. So it was nice to see them keep all that in. Though they did change Kessel and make it a planet rather than the asteroid/small planetoid it was in the EU. Was also weird how they switched the commodity mined there from Spice (a narcotic), to hyperspace fuel, though I suppose if the location is rich in ores and minerals etc there could be more than just one resource of interest there.

So did I miss anything? I’m sure there’s more stuff I’ve forgotten, or perhaps didn’t even see.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

I really did pick a bad time to be on holidays. So just got back and had a choice of what to see first. That was a no brainer.

So very enjoyable, and really felt like Star Wars.

And hats off to the recast characters pulling of a thankless task of playing younger versions of those characters.

Only quibble was it was very by the numbers, with the only real surprises being Han getting away at the start, I thought it would have went the other way, and that reveal at the end.

I wonder if that will be explored in Solo 2 (Duo :wink: ) or in some of the other planned films with the Crime Syndicates linking a series of standalones.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

Shame. The spin offs are far more appealing to me than the trilogy at this moment in time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Reading between the lines, the one off stories, or should I say Stories, filling in any gaps in the main Saga backstory, from Obi-wan, Boba Fett, Yoda, the third alien on the left in the Cantina, the Rancor keeper at Jabba's place won't be made.

However original trilogies, in other parts of the galaxy well away from the Saga, or in much, much earlier than any main Saga film, are still on the table.

Although if that is the case, then a possible underworld series of films is off the table I would assume.

Although I am all for not strip mining every piece of nostalgia from the main saga. Let the film makers be totally unconstrained and make their visions without any impositions from the main saga, but produce something new that if it works can be woven into the wider Star Wars universe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
the third alien on the left in the Cantina,

My absolute favourite character in the series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:31 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Basileus wrote:
Although I am all for not strip mining every piece of nostalgia from the main saga. Let the film makers be totally unconstrained and make their visions without any impositions from the main saga, but produce something new that if it works can be woven into the wider Star Wars universe.

I'm wondering if they've overestimated the draw of the Star Wars universe. With Solo underperforming so badly it may be any film not part of the Skywalker saga will fare much the same. Is there an appetite for space opera at all, or is nostalgia the main driving force behind the success of the "main" Star Wars films?

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:53 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Tao wrote:

I'm wondering if they've overestimated the draw of the Star Wars universe. With Solo underperforming so badly it may be any film not part of the Skywalker saga will fare much the same. Is there an appetite for space opera at all, or is nostalgia the main driving force behind the success of the "main" Star Wars films?

Been a fan since i watched Star Wars at the Swansea Odeon back in 77 age 10 .... been a fan for 40 years .. Until TLJ

I loved rogue One I like the idea of a McGregor led Obi Wan ... hell I was kind of on-board for the unneeded Solo movie , but that was befre Johnson and TLJ

the taste of the Last Jedi that was still so foul and fresh in my mouth, this was released too soon after that for me to try and watch, If Solo had been released in say November I may have been more inclined to give it a go

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 pm 

Tao wrote:

When it was announced a few years ago that Disney had bought LucasFilm and therefore owned Star Wars, my first thought was 'they are going to churn out new Star Wars movies at the rate of one or two a year and shove them down people's throats, until everybody gets thoroughly sick of the franchise.' I'd admit I didn't think it would start to happen so soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:51 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

That's what I'm thinking. The original trilogy was great and there are generations of people who have grown up with that legacy. Despite the massive amount of dissatisfaction with the prequels they did very well at the box office, I think because they were part of the Star Wars saga, and personally I quite enjoyed them, as did my children who didn't have 40 years of expectation. And we're all going to watch the next "proper" Star Wars film aren't we? Even if we're among those who really didn't like TLJ.

But side films? Rogue One didn't do much for me. I've not seen Solo, the only reason, for me, is that I'm not really interested to be honest. Obi Wan the movie? Nah. Boba Fett? I just don't care.

Anyone remember the Ewok movie fondly, or at all?

I just don't think there's an appetite for Star Wars universe films.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:34 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Tao wrote:

I

Were there not 2 of those ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:33 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Mr Cairo wrote:
Tao wrote:

I

See, I didn't even remember the second one!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I disagree. I think there definitely is an appetite for more stories told in that universe. It is just a question of what those stories should be where they are falling short. When you have such a vast canvas with so many possibilities and directions they could potentially go in, they seem to be making questionable choices. With the Skywalker based sequel trilogy they should have had a more cohesive plan, no question, you can’t go into such a high stakes game with no overall gameplan for the trilogy story arc across the 3 films, regardless of who you’ve got coming in to direct. It’s a no-brainer. So you can have the directors do what they want and be as creative as they want, as long as they hit the beats required to propel the trilogy in the right direction. That way you have a trilogy with a pre thought out start and end point, with the creativity being in how you get to there. And you have something that feels like a unified story. This was needed for something as momentous and once in a lifetime like as this. You’ve only got one shot to make a sequel trilogy where the old guard from the original trilogy can hand the baton over to a new generation. How can you not go into that with a more solid plan for it? By not having that plan we have a mess of a trilogy which feels disjointed and at odds with itself, with a first chapter, that while good, perhaps played it a little too safe followed by a second chapter that really went off the reservation and scrapped most of what was set up at the end of the first film. Now we’ll most likely have a third chapter that’ll have to make a bit of a course correction to end the trilogy in a satisfying way. Even if this is achieved you’ll still end up with an unevenly disjointed trilogy that doesn’t hang well together. And most unforgivably this trilogy squandered the opportunity to get the original trilogy gang back together for one last hurrah before the new gang took over. An opportunity that will never present itself again.

Now conversely with the standalones where they should have been taking more risks, because the stakes are lower, they’ve played it more safely. Especially with the slate to come being filled mostly with Prequels and origin tales for existing characters, which reveals a lack of imagination. And maybe the general moviegoing public and hard core fans alike can see this? While I enjoyed Solo, it was hardly essential, and it wasn’t really wanted by the fans. A Kenobi film has me more interested, largely due to the existing actor reprising his role. Boba Fett, even though I’m a huge Fett fan, doesn’t have me all that fired up, because as stated earlier, it shows a lack of imagination. Why keep coming back to these characters when you have a whole galaxy of untapped potential out there to explore and be experimental with? I think that is why Rogue One worked so well, as even though it dealt with events we were familiar with, everything felt new. New principal characters, a new perspective on the events in the galaxy, and just the right level of fan service with cameos from well known characters that didn’t overpower the story as a whole, but rather enhanced it. While the film was not perfect, that blend of nostalgia and new material that made up the third act felt perfectly pitched as what we wanted to feel when watching new Star Wars. That standalone was a triumph, and if anything they needed to go further afield with the standalones. Tell stories with new characters and situations taking place in that galaxy far, far away. Fresh and yet familiar. This is where the risks should have been taken. Not the current trilogy. Lucasfilm just seems to have got it all backwards somehow. Hopefully they can course correct before it is too late.

Despite my better judgement, and my feelings regarding TLJ, I’m still cautiously interested in finding out what Rian Johnson would do with his own trilogy, and what the Game of Thrones boys would get up to in the Star Wars universe, Knights of the Old Republic anyone? And the Favreau lead live action series is certainly intriguing. So, no, I don’t think there is a lack of appetite for more Star Wars, it just has to do it’s own thing, not try to be Marvel, but be more organised and cohesive as a whole than it is now, there needs to be a proper plan, and they need to not oversaturate the market with Star Wars, one a year, or every two years or so is fine. Give us time to process the one we have just watched, allow us time to anticipate the next and get excited for it and generate buzz over time. Make it an event we have to patiently wait for again rather than bludgeoning us over the head with film after film with no space to breathe in between. Do this and most importantly develop interesting new tales in that universe that need to be told rather than playing it too safe, and there’ll be no question of Star Wars fatigue. If Disney are rethinking things and looking at strategies of quality over quantity? This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and with a new more robust plan in place the standalones may well return. I hope they do, as they’ve been the ones to pique my interest more than the trilogy movies if I’m honest, and the future of Star Wars could be bright, as long as their takeaway from this isn’t Solo didn’t do so well so standalones are bad, let’s not do any more of those.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Tao wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Tao wrote:

I

See, I didn't even remember the second one!

They were enjoyable enough if taken in a kind of Willow/Krull kind of way. I never really fully considered them proper Star Wars, but they were enjoyable enough fluff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:56 pm 

TALON wrote:
If anything they needed to go further afield with the standalones. Tell stories with new characters and situations taking place in that galaxy far, far away. Fresh and yet familiar. This is where the risks should have been taken.

I'm not sure such an approach would work either. if you have a movie about a brand new character nobody's ever seen or heard of before, set on an alien world that's never been mentioned before, it could be argued it's just an unconnected, bog-standard space opera with the Star Wars brand name slapped on it in a cynical attempt to sell tickets.

What i find intriguing about Rogue One is that it was basically a serious, straight-faced variant of the Pink Five fan-films and Tag & Bink comic books. We already know the events of the original Star Wars movies - but what was going on around the corner? Or in the next corridor? Or over that hill in the background? Or behind that tree, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:20 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

fenris wrote:
TALON wrote:
If anything they needed to go further afield with the standalones. Tell stories with new characters and situations taking place in that galaxy far, far away. Fresh and yet familiar. This is where the risks should have been taken.

I'm not sure such an approach would work either. if you have a movie about a brand new character nobody's ever seen or heard of before, set on an alien world that's never been mentioned before, it could be argued it's just an unconnected, bog-standard space opera with the Star Wars brand name slapped on it in a cynical attempt to sell tickets.

What i find intriguing about Rogue One is that it was basically a serious, straight-faced variant of the Pink Five fan-films and Tag & Bink comic books. We already know the events of the original Star Wars movies - but what was going on around the corner? Or in the next corridor? Or over that hill in the background? Or behind that tree, etc.

Well what I mean (sorry if I wasn't more clear in the earlier post) is new characters and situations taking place in a recognizable Star Wars universe. So Rogue One as you mention above is a prime example of that. I don't mean a far flung corner of the galaxy with nothing in that we recognise as being Star Wars in it. So for another example of what I mean. If the recent Solo movie had not featured Han Solo and Chewie (So say Alden's character is someone brand new, and Chewie, is just some other Wookiee), but everything else was still in there? That is the sort of thing I mean. So they would be clearly recognisable as being part of the Star Wars universe. The Empire being in charge, perhaps cameos from known peripheral characters etc, but no connection to the main characters from the saga movies, even though they are clearly part of that same recognisable universe. A series of movies dealing with the galactic Underworld would be a good example of the sort of thing I mean. Or a story following the adventures of a squad of Rebel troopers unconnected to the events in the saga movies. A Star Wars war movie told from the Imperial perspective with them as the good guys, that sort of thing. So much scope, and then there are other eras that could also be looked at such as the Clone War era, old Republic, different types of story, more mature themed, tragedy, romance, crime or spy thriller, all told through a lens filter of being in the Star Wars universe. So much more potential than just telling origin stories of existing characters. And being standalone movies there is less at stake so they can go a bit wilder with the style and content of the movie, take bigger risks and make more challenging and exciting content without having to worry about breaking the franchise, because these won't effect the big multi-billion dollar saga trilogies or whatever. These are just small snippets, glimpses into the greater expanding galaxy that is what Star Wars could be. Showing us more than what is in the immediate area surrounding the Skywalker clan and friends.

Last edited by TALON on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

fenris wrote:
TALON wrote:

So a bit like how G.R.R. Martin writes his GoT novels, where events are running to other events only we 'get' to see them (thinking of book 3 & 4 where one is mainly about Kings Landing and the other more about the Watch, the North etc )??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:37 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Jumping in late to the discussion, I am pretty much in agreement with Talon re planning the films, and about the underworld stuff. Although I have harped on about it to death.

About the 6 month gap between TLJ and Solo - definitely too quick given all things. The universe is not there yet, and that's given the acceptance that there should be multiple Star War films a year. Which truthfully I am not convinced about. But that takes it back to being a decent plan in place. And making each one feel special.

However I hope all the umbridge from TLJ, spilling over in discontent from half of fandom don't bite their noses off to spite their faces, and miss out on a pretty OK Star Wars in the cinema. Especially with that "special" minority of the discontented who are using the discontent and the discontented fans as cover, it seems, against Disney, Lucasfilm and all things Star Wars for a whole different agenda.

As it was mentioned above, this might be the time to drop this here, the Honest Trailer for the Ewok films. Plus another thing that should be guessable from the picture. :mrgreen:

I never saw any of the Ewok ones, but wish, the start of the second one took me by surprise seeing the above.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:13 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Pete wrote:
fenris wrote:
TALON wrote:

So a bit like how G.R.R. Martin writes his GoT novels, where events are running to other events only we 'get' to see them (thinking of book 3 & 4 where one is mainly about Kings Landing and the other more about the Watch, the North etc )??

Perhaps, but not necessarily. One thing I hoped with the Han Solo movie, was that if they weren't going to make a straight up Solo trilogy (these are meant to be standalones after all), that they'd get around that by making disparate movies that connect in the way you suggest above. So Solo might be the opening salvo/entry in a Star Wars Underworld trilogy, with Solo touching on that world and setting things up, perhaps a Maul/Crimson Dawn movie showing how he survived Naboo and rose to power in Crimson Dawn, and finally Kenobi comes in with Maul unable to just let it go and goes off to hunt him down. Perhaps Maul only wanted to be the head of a criminal syndicate so he'd have the resources to track down Kenobi in the first place? Within all these movies you could have the characters from the others passing through them and only coming to prominence when their own movie arrives. So this might feature young Han Solo going to work for the Hutts, and Qi'ra's rise in the syndicate while all this other stuff plays out.

But I'd equally be satisfied with just tales going on in a recognisable Star Wars universe which are not overtly connected at all, that maybe events in one movie are acknowledged in another if appropriate, but nothing more than that. So for example, Alderaan suddenly disappearing might be something that causes a stir in the galaxy, and might get mentioned in passing, giving viewers a context, an idea of where in the timeline this movie is happening, and a feel that this is all happening in the same galaxy as the previous Star Wars movies we've already seen.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 29 posts ]