It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 135 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Here are some final predictions. Firstly FiveThiryEight's award based system:

Picture: The Shape of Water (but with Three Billboards being competitive)
Director: Del Toro (with an outside chance for Nolan)
Actress: McDormand
Actor: Oldman
Supporting Actress: Janney
Supporting Actor: Rockwell (with an outside chance for Defoe)
Animation: Coco
Documentary: ??? (The three big winners of the year, Jane, I Am Not Your Negro and City of Ghosts are not Oscar nominated)

However, James England's crowd-sourced system (which has been very accurate for most of the last few years) has very different results:
Picture: Lady Bird (although with 3 Billboards, Call Me By Your Name and Shape of Water not too far behind)
Director: Del Toro
Actress: McDormand
Actor: Chalamet
Supporting Actress: Metcalf
Supporting Actor: Rockwell

So whilst some races look tied up, Best Picture looks to be one people are uncertain on.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm 

oh great now I feel a tiny bit bad for feeling relieved Fry didn't host the BAFTA'S this year
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43171297

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:31 pm 

Well here we are another four months of speculation is nearly done but Before the Oscars tomorrow night , here are this years list of the worst with the Razzies with a particularly interesting "in memory" video dedicated to the careers of Harvey Weinstein and all those whose careers have been ended through sex scandals this year.

Worst picture The Emoji Movie

Worst actress Tyler Perry, Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

Worst actor Tom Cruise, The Mummy

Worst supporting actor Mel Gibson, Daddy’s Home 2

Worst supporting actress Kim Basinger, Fifty Shades Darker

Worst screen combo Any two obnoxious emojis, The Emoji Movie

Worst remake, ripoff or sequel Fifty Shades Darker

Worst director Tony Leondis, The Emoji Movie

Worst screenplay The Emoji Movie

Special Rotten Tomatoes Award: The Razzie Nominee So Bad You Loved It! Baywatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:34 am 

Well the Independent spirit awards were held last night in Hollywood , this is the big awards for films made for less than $20 million , now the spirits best picture winner has predicted accurately the winner of the Oscar the following night, this year not so sure...here are the winners.

BEST FEATURE
Get Out

BEST FEMALE LEAD
Frances McDormand
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST MALE LEAD
Timothée Chalamet
Call Me By Your Name

BEST DIRECTOR
Jordan Peele
Get Out

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Faces Places
Directors: Agnés Varda, JR
Producer: Rosalie Varda

BEST SUPPORTING MALE
Sam Rockwell
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST SCREENPLAY
Greta Gerwig
Lady Bird

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD
Given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast
Mudbound
Director: Dee Rees
Casting Directors: Billy Hopkins, Ashley Ingram
Ensemble Cast: Jonathan Banks, Mary J. Blige, Jason Clarke, Garrett Hedlund, Jason Mitchell, Rob Morgan, Carey Mulligan

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani
The Big Sick

BEST EDITING
Tatiana S. Riegel
I, Tonya

BONNIE AWARD
Chloé Zhao

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM
A Fantastic Woman
Chile
Director: Sebastián Lelio

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
Life and nothing more
Writer/Director: Antonio Méndez Esparza
Producers: Amadeo Hernández Bueno, Alvaro Portanet Hernández, Pedro Hernández Santos

BEST FIRST FEATURE
Ingrid Goes West
Director: Matt Spicer
Producers: Jared Ian Goldman, Adam Mirels, Robert Mirels, Aubrey Plaza, Tim White, Trevor White

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE
Allison Janney
I, Tonya

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Sayombhu Mukdeeprom
Call Me By Your Name

KIEHL’S SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD
Justin Chon

PIAGET PRODUCERS AWARD
Summer Shelton

SEATTLE STORY AWARD
Matty Brown

JEEP BRAND TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD
Jonathan Olshefski Three billboards and I Tonya dominated the acting categories and merely confirmed what will happen tonight .

Yes the Spirits have predicted the last five winners of Best picture but that is out of a total of six from 33 years , the last few years are down to a sea change in Oscar contenders being released by studios and the way low budget is being taken these days as being the way to go to win awards. ( although many forget that PLATOON was the second winner of the award!)

So Am I going to make predictions? .....well these are not guaranteed but my own personal opinions

the acting awards are wrapped up I believe and have been for weeks

Oldman will take Best Actor, Mcdormand will take best Actress ( Sorry Ronan but unless there is a massive upset you are not getting it no matter how much the Irish media kid themselves) Rockwell , best supporting Actor and Janney Actress.

Director ,I think it's Del Toro's simply because he has taken the Guild awards

Adapted Screenplay: I think this is Ivory's with Call Me by Your Name ( I would love to see Logan win but not a chance in hell)

Screenplay: I think this is where they will give GET OUT the award ( The Year Forrest Gump dominated PULP FICTION took screenplay, ah when Tarantino was actually good.and Good Will Hunting and L.A Confidential took them the year TITANIC won)

The Rest ? Tech Awards I think this is where the fight between DUNKIRK and BLADE RUNNER will take place.

Soundtrack : Hmmm I would hope that they give it to Zimmer but it could go to Phantom Thread or Shape Of Water, The Last Jedi's was deeply underwhelming.

Song; hmmm now this could go anyway, Coco could win with Remember me but This is Me is catching up fast, while stand up for something may win the "politically worthy" vote.

Animated : this is between COCO and The BREADWINNER with I would say COCO at this point romping home by a country mile.

As for Best Picture, unfortunately it is more often or not the case that the Best Picture that wins but which is the most political that year and more often or not in the years to come leaves you scratching your head wondering "hang on that won?!?!??!" (Crash over Brokeback Mountain, Forrest Gump over Pulp fiction, Titanic over LA Confidential, Ordianry people over Raging Bull?!?!?!?) So what should Win? Hopefully THE SHAPE OF WATER ( I loved DUNKIRK but that's dead in the water....gettit!) THREE BILL BOARDS would be acceptable , GET OUT I think has an outside chance (if it wins it will be undeserved, Great Horror film but Best Picture?!?! ) But unfortunately I think LADYBIRD is the favourite , not because it is the best picture but Hollywood in the year of Me too has something to prove and I suspect this is the quickest way , slap itself on the back give LADYBIRD the best picture award and say "yep , we're great" I hope I'm wrong but I suspect I am not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

johnone wrote:
GET OUT I think has an outside chance (if it wins it will be undeserved, Great Horror film but Best Picture?!?! ) not.

Get Out is the sharpest movie about race-relations in the US since Dear White People. "Transcending the genre" is a pretty pretentious term but that's exactly what Get Out does, take the sunken place scene that happens in the movie for example:
Jordan Peele wrote:
You know when you’re going to sleep and it feels like you’re about to fall, so you wake up? What if you never woke up? Where would you fall? And that was kind of the most harrowing idea to me. And as I’m writing it becomes clear that the sunken place is this metaphor for the system that is suppressing the freedom of black people, of many outsiders, many minorities. There’s lots of different sunken places. But this one specifically became a metaphor for the prison-industrial complex, the lack of representation of black people in film, in genre. The reason Chris in the film is falling into this place, being forced to watch this screen, that no matter how hard he screams at the screen he can’t get agency across. He’s not represented. And that, to me, was this metaphor for the black horror audience, a very loyal fan base who comes to these movies, and we’re the ones that are going to die first. So the movie for me became almost about representation within the genre, within itself, in a weird way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Oscars 2018

No-one's posted the results ? Well here we go

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Allison Janney, "I, Tonya"
ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Sam Rockwell, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: "A Fantastic Woman"
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: "Icarus"
ORIGINAL SONG: "Remember Me," "Coco"
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: "Coco"
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "Call Me by Your Name"
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "Get Out"
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Gary Oldman, "Darkest Hour"
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Frances McDormand, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
DIRECTOR: Guillermo del Toro, "The Shape of Water"
BEST PICTURE: "The Shape of Water"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

The only thing I really have an issue with is "Best Song". "Remember Me" works well in the film, but I think outside it's a bit shite. "This Is Me" works well in the film and as a stand alone song

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

davevank wrote:
The only thing I really have an issue with is "Best Song". "Remember Me" works well in the film, but I think outside it's a bit shite. "This Is Me" works well in the film and as a stand alone song

Yeah I found the love for it a bit weird. People said that the performance on stage was the best part of the night but I thought it was a bit dull.

The controversy of the night seemed to come over Kobe Bryant's Dear Basketball with the rape allegations against him.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am 

Sorry I stopped commenting this week, just back from the Hospital , the leg is healing nicely even though they admitted they had "misread" the xray's and my leg was actually broken in four places!?!?!?!

The Auditorium grows quiet as Johnone limps onto the stage this year and begins to address an empty theatre ( I mean the actual awards were 5 days ago!)

So that's it for 2018 , another four months of bitchiness , backstabbing and backslapping have come to an end and what have we learned ? Well the season started off with a career ending scandal for both Weinstein and Spacey . two men who were being touted as features of this years awards were suddenly persona non grata and will (probably) be never heard from again when it comes to awards ( but hey they also said the same about convicted rapist Roman Polanski) the scandal however had shockwave's that reverberated through the awards season be it Ridley Scott reshooting All The Money In The World to Meryl Streeps attempt at the Oscar this year with "The Post" being shot down early with the "she knew" poster campaign being carried out by an unknown artist around Los Angeles.

Disney nearly shot themselves in the foot with a bizarre decision to ban certain journalists from reviewing films, a decision that was revoked withing 48 hours as the backlash was proving disastrous.

Once again the Critics proved to be far more diverse in their selections than the ceremonies , which led to a lot of early talk about films that quickly faded, remember when the Florida Project was looking like an early contender? The Phantom Thread looked like a favourite.....until people saw it! Early talk about favourites shifted quite early however , in September Christopher Nolan was considered a shoo in for Dunkirk...By December Dunkirk was an outside chance. And it became obvious by December that Dunkirk had been pushed out by four films , Three Billboards, The Shape Of Water, Get Out and Ladybird.

In the Acting awards Gary Oldman took a commanding lead in September with talk of his performance in Darkest Hour and never let go, Frances McDormand took only a slight bit longer but by December that too was wrapped up. the only hiccup was San Diego's critics circles decision to give James McAvoy the best actor award for Split?

The only man who could have stopped Oldmans March was James Franco , who after a astonishing performance took the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy, at the time I wrote When it comes to Best Actor I think (unless there is a genuine shock) This is Oldmans year and this season is merely an victory lap of awards now. (although James Franco does deserve the nominations ....if there is going to be a shock, this is the performance that I believe will take the awards instead.) within 24 hours of Franco winning his awards season was over with accusations of inappropriate behaviour.

Looking back by January , this awards season was over with three main contenders , The Shape Of Water, Three Billboards and Get Out which had stayed the course as the outsider for the season for three months. by the time the BAFTAS came around there were little or no surprises , Three Billboards was going to win what ever happened (yes it is excellent but it is also a British Picture) unfortunately it took both Best Picture and Best British picture locking out two films I think are stone cold classics Paddington 2 and Death Of Stalin.

And so by the time of the Oscars there were very few surprises ( the only truly pleasant one was Shape Of actually won, as I was convinced Hollywood was going to give it to Ladybird)

So that's it another awards season is done, the question is what will be the great scandal that will affect next years awards season or will it after the last few years just be about the movies? But hey it's Hollywood , it's never just about the movies....still only 8 months to go when this all starts again.....eight months?!??!? Only eight months?!?!?!"

Johnone begins to sob uncontrollably at the thought as the Janitor comes on stage and sweeps him and the detritus of awards season away :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

johnone wrote:
But hey it's Hollywood , it's never just about the movies....still only 8 months to go when this all starts again.....eight months?!??!? Only eight months?!?!?!"

Eight ??? More like Six, Toronto opens on September 6th

Interesting to see some articles about the best films at Toronto 2017

http://variety.com/gallery/best-movies- ... lady-bird/
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lis ... er-w503600

The list included "Three Billboards" & "Lady Bird" & "The Disaster Artist" , "I, Tonya" , "The Shape of Water"

Everyone could have saved themselves a lot of time if they just held the Oscars there :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:12 pm 

:D :D :D
Well tradition states November 1st but I will post (if I'm around ) about Toronto and the really early awards because you're right Toronto got it right this year.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 135 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5