It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Ready Player One
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:23 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Trailer hit.

First thoughts - they nailed the Stacks.

And looks like they made headway with the myriad of rights issues.

It looks pretty damned good

Last edited by Basileus on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ready Player One
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

'Cinematic Game Changer' and 'Holy Grail of Pop Culture' are a bit too 'Visionary Director Zack Snyder' for my liking. If you actually are something you don't need to say it. Just plain old Steven Spielberg would be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:35 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
This just looks insane. In this trailer you're just trying to keep up with all pop culture properties fliting across the screen. The Iron Giant, Freddie, the BTTF Delorean, the bike from Akira, this certainly going to be a feast for the senses that's for sure. Not to mention The breakneck pace the action was moving at. Looks awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Quite a lot of changes from the book.

Which considering this lasts 2 hours 20ish, thank god. I enjoyed the book, but great literature it ain't. It's a pretty pedestrian story with a lot of the right nostalgia nods for me.

As such it's perfect fare to given to a filmmaker to be converted into a movie that boils out the essential nature of it while making something that works in the film medium.

So do I miss the Wargames bit? Yes. Would I like to have seen it, or the Monty Python bit? Yes. But is it's replacement good? Oh definitely yes, and arguably works better as it's film. Which is quite ironic given the nature of that film and it's relationship to its own source material.

This film has a weird journey. It starts of feeling like the book, and by the end feels like a Spielberg film that he was making or producing in the 80s and which there were a lot of copies. The type no one makes anymore. Including Spielberg.

Of the actors, Tye Sheridan, while OK, is the weakest. And actually is best and emotes more as his avatar. Weird.

Rylance is actually pretty brilliant, giving a lot more depth than what is in the book.

Although Aitch, both in the real but especially the avatar was my favourite. The entire thing in the place where the second key was located.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:15 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Just transferring this over to here as this is where it should be:

Have just seen Ready Player One today, and damn, not saying Spielberg ever lost his mojo, but boy is he the undisputed King of the Popcorn movie again with this release. I doubt you'll watch a more rich and satisfying cinema experience than this this year. And that is taking into consideration the potent slate of movies yet to come this year. I'll spoiler the rest despite the fact I don't plan to go too much into specifics...

Spoiler:
So I assume everyone knows the premise. Dystopian near future world, where things have gone a bit to crap so everyone escapes by entering the virtual world of the Oasis, the creator of the game, James Halliday dies, and on his death opens up an sub game within his game where players can hunt for Easter eggs and clues to win his shares in the company and control of the Oasis. This virtual world and the future world are beautifully realised and work really well hand in hand, you have the quirk of the 80's pop culture references that saturate the Oasis, but surprisingly never overpower the narrative, which is a feat in itself. It also deals with present day concerns of security in cyberspace, so not revealing who you are in the real world to people you know through the Oasis is a big ongoing theme while current and relevant, and key to the plot when the virtual and real world explosively end up colliding as Ben Mendelsohn's rival corporate bad guy gets in on the action with designs on taking over the Oasis for his own greedy ends. This rich smorgasbord of content and references is beautifully handled, and the Oasis is stunningly realised, and something that is definitely worth seeing in IMAX, but beyond all that, you just really care for the characters, and buy into the story in such a way that, as with all good entertainment it connects on multiple levels, people who get all the references will positively just have a constant Geekasm throughout this movie, but it doesn't exclude those who don't get it all, because that is all just window dressing, it isn't hollow, the references aren't the be all and end all (Though there is a key sequence involving a certain movie which is just insane in its audacity, only Spielberg could get away with it, this is integral to the plot and is superb!), it has a really good strong story at its core, which will hook you whether you know a PS4 Controller from a ZX Spectrum or not. Weirdly among the response to this movie, there has been a minority backlash where some people are offended by the depiction of gamers in this movie, which is just bizarre. Have to say as a long time gamer, and someone who's been involved in the industry I did not feel at all offended by the depiction of gamers. To my eye, and the equally game and pop culture obsessed geek that I saw it with, it had that spot on, the mentality of gamers, the addictive quality and gamification of the virtua world, that all rang true for me. If you're talking more specifically about the depiction of the creator James Halliday, I think it is clear that he is not just meant to be a gamer, but someone who's on the Asperger's spectrum, and as such his depiction was fine and nuanced, in my opinion.

Personally I thought this movie was the best thing I'd seen in a very long time. Saw it in IMAX 3D, and every single person in that busy screen came out grinning ear to ear. I came out feeling that I immediately wanted to see it again. It is the sort of movie that like the original Star Wars movies you're going to be able to watch for years to come and still spot something new in it, so rich is the content. What a fantastic practically perfect popcorn movie. It so makes me ache to see what Spielberg could do with a Star Wars movie, as this is exactly the sort of feeling you USED to get coming out of one of those.

10/10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Basileus wrote:
Although Aitch, both in the real but especially the avatar was my favourite. The entire thing in the place where the second key was located.

I agree, that sequence was just phenomenal.

Haven’t read the book, so can’t speak to the changes made between the book and the film, though from what I’ve heard the original author was heavily involved in the process of converting the book to film, so the film makers felt confident that the changes made to make the story work better in the new medium remained true to the spirit of the original book while enhancing it to suit film and Spielberg’s sensibilities. That’s another thing I loved about it. Want to see what Spielberg would do if he made a film with this or that property? Here’s a little taste. It just gave You goosebumps all the way through.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:06 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Absolutely agree with what Talon says, it's been an age since I was so in awe of a movie and there were many times that I forgot I was watching an animated film it was that realistic

The End Battle Scene I could watch over and over again it was that filled of references, though I think my favourite was that maniacal boy doll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Watched it today with the wife and kids. Not read the book and really didn't know that much about it. I thought it would be fairly enjoyable but more appreciated by the kids.

I bloody loved it, what a great film! I have one niggle, which I'll spoiler below, but damn it was good. I think, if I wasn't a jaded 45 year old and had seen it when I was young I'd have put it alongside Spielberg's early work that he was so blatantly referencing, along with many films he produced. But I am 45 so I have to say it wasn't quite that good. Not quite. Close though.

Really pushed the 12A rating in places! Especially that second key task. And the F-bomb, I don't usually let my 10 year old daughter watch films with more than a few "shit"s in. Cracked me up though.

OK, niggle:

Spoiler:
I hate it when people in films fall in love too quickly, and there didn't seem to be much time between Perzival meeting Art3mis and then declaring his love. But it's a small niggle.

Definitely buying this on bluray in the not too distant future.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

To your spoilers point, that is more to do with the time reduction that has been imposed on the original with this adaption for film. The book takes place over at least a year I think.

Although
Spoiler:
the book "romance" isn't the greatest piece of literature you will find done in a very old fashioned boy gets girl way, with certain aspects that post Gamergate don't necessarily read well. Especially to those looking to hold something to account for the bad aspects of nerd culture. All of which is sidestepped by the film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 pm 

PSN ID: veela_magnet
It's for these reasons why I'm afraid to go back and re-read the book. In 2012 when I read it it felt a little more innocuous bit of pop-culture imbued silliness, but I'm worried I'll judge it with far more critical scrutiny, especially after reading his utterly miserable follow-up Armada (which apparently is up for adaptation next...)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]