It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sony Marvel Universe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:35 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I don't want to prejudge but it looks like all you need to make a Spider-Man film a success is to have him live in a world where he has some amazing friends.

Last edited by Kang the Conqueror on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Kang the Conqueror wrote:
I don't want to prejudge but it looks like all you need to make a Spider-Man film a success is to have him live in a world where he has some amazing friends.

I don't want to either but I had the opposite rection. This made me less likely to see the film.

In particular I really hope they are showing every scene of Tony Stark in the trailers as we don't need Iron Man 7 co-starring Spider-Man. Why do they even need him there? We have already introduced the character and ASM 2 (which was a steaming pile of arachnid poo) still made more money the Dr Strange, Ant-Man or Thor 2.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:41 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Were not hugging im just opening the door

Love it :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

hammard wrote:

I don't want to either but I had the opposite rection. This made me less likely to see the film.

In particular I really hope they are showing every scene of Tony Stark in the trailers as we don't need Iron Man 7 co-starring Spider-Man. Why do they even need him there? We have already introduced the character and ASM 2 (which was a steaming pile of arachnid poo) still made more money the Dr Strange, Ant-Man or Thor 2.

I doubt that it is more than a cameo because an RDJ appearance is too expensive for anything less than an Avengers film these days. Much as I like his Tony Stark I am looking forward to him being pensioned off eventually because the MCU does tend to be a bit 'Tony Stark and his Amazing Friends'. It will be much better when they bring on the big hitters in waiting Captain Marvel, Dr Strange and Black Panther to dilute his influence a bit. And it would be nice if they could bring Reed Richards home (sort it out Marvel and Fox!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:47 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

This is looking good. The school scenes does give hope that this will get the John Hughes vibe its going for. As with Civil War, Holland seems to capture the essence of both Parker and Spiderman. And he looks like he can act as well, the scene with Tony in the car, looking at Holland's face, there was some subtle stuff going on there.

Tony's appearance in the trailer let's everyone know that this reboot is well and truly in the MCU, so job done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:54 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Also the international trailer. A lot of the same things, but more Vulture. And cut differently. A totally different vibe. Interesting to see the different marketing approaches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

I see Michael Keaton is playing the Vulture. It does have the strange implication that he and Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) have had a relationship in 1994's "The Paper"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 am 

The first snippet of the theme.

Let me know when you realise why it sounds familiar. :smoth:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:33 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Can he fly, can he 'eck, if he tries he'll break his neck...

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

That sounds fantastic. Never heard it sounding so epic, or even thought that it could.

Are they really doing that. If so brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I suspect it will just be for the Marvel Studios title sequence as a bit of fun if you are a fan of a certain age.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:07 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Xbox Live: TALON77
Nice, really liking the look of this. Just seems to get better with every trailer, and yet they're still not revealing too much, which is refreshing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:58 pm 

Tom Holland reveals he went back to school to get in to the role.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:16 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-homec ... 1796205381

Bit of a statement of the bleedin' obvious but something that they haven't confirmed before. I suspect that Venom et al will share the same universe with Spider-Man: Homecoming in the same way that Agents of SHIELD shares the same universe as the Avengers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 pm 

PSN ID: veela_magnet
http://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-homecoming-producer-says-venom-silver-and-1796205381

Bit of a statement of the bleedin' obvious but something that they haven't confirmed before. I suspect that Venom et al will share the same universe with Spider-Man: Homecoming in the same way that Agents of SHIELD shares the same universe as the Avengers.
Is it the bleedin' obvious though? I was under the impression that Sony were insistently charging ahead with a Spider-Man Without Spider-Man shared movie universe. This exchange by Amy Pascal really muddies the already vague waters somewhat, and by the looks of it, Kevin Feige ain't too impressed by it...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Veela Magnet wrote:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-homecoming-producer-says-venom-silver-and-1796205381

Is it the bleedin' obvious though? I was under the impression that Sony were insistently charging ahead with a Spider-Man Without Spider-Man shared movie universe. This exchange by Amy Pascal really muddies the already vague waters somewhat, and by the looks of it, Kevin Feige ain't too impressed by it...

I only mean it is obvious in that there is no point having a Spider-Man universe without Spider-Man. Even if Tom Holland doesn't appear in the Sony films they can always refer to what is happening to Spider-Man in the MCU films. It will be like when the Marvel TV shows refer to what is happening in the films (but not vice versa). They obviously won't refer to MCU characters like Tony Stark though.

It all seems to be a bit of a cock up. It is as if Sony agreed to give exclusive rights to Spider-Man to Marvel for a six film period but made no agreement on what they could or couldn't do outside of this agreement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

While I haven't seen the video of the interview, from what I understand, the look on Kevin Feige is telling. I think it's the first he has heard of it.

And good luck getting a 16 year old nerd with his new Stark suit after the homemade job, having a backstory with the Symbiot who is also hated by Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock. A 16 year old with a history with Felicia Hardy.

I get the feeling that Pascal is going to try and pull another Ghostbusters, pretending it's part of one universe in the marketing, while it's obvious from the films that they are disconnected. At most it's the universe next door.

Edit to add.
Found this. Now someone has edited it, adding music etc to get an opinion of this across. However the original context can be discerned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Sony planning Mysterio and Kraven spin-offs:

http://screenrant.com/sony-spider-man-s ... io-kraven/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

More of my trademarked bleedin' obvious news - Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 to feature a different MCU character (Iron Man being expensive obvs):

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecomi ... -downey-jr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:17 pm 

Sony planning Mysterio and Kraven spin-offs:

http://screenrant.com/sony-spider-man-s ... io-kraven/
Urgh! "Bootleg universe" is a very astute name for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

(For comics fans of a certain age) how about the Brand Echh Universe?

Marvel missed a trick when they didn't insist that Sony's off brand knock off universe be called the Spider-Man universe. It would even be worth them explicitly allowing Spider-Man to be in any of the films to make it clear that they were Spider-Man films rather than Marvel films.

For info here is the original article that the two previous nuggets of news came from:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... el-1015408

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Interesting news re Donald Glover's character in SMH. He plays
Spoiler:
Aaron Davis, uncle of Miles Morales http://www.cbr.com/donald-glover-spider ... confirmed/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Reviews coming in and looks like they are overwhelmingly positive (currently 97% on RT).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

I have been avoiding most of not all of the Sony overkill marketing on this the last month or so.

However, this is slightly different. This seems to be how they are explaining the origin. Which I assume means, fingers crossed, little or nothing shown in the film. Also, the first bit of clever marketing as well.

Also interesting bit of background world building.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

2* from the second bassoonist Robbie Collin :( Although he did give Transformers 4* so perhaps his ratings need taking with a pinch of salt. Looking like solid 4* across the board elsewhere though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:25 pm 

Basileus wrote:
I have been avoiding most of not all of the Sony overkill marketing on this the last month or so.

However, this is slightly different. This seems to be how they are explaining the origin. Which I assume means, fingers crossed, little or nothing shown in the film. Also, the first bit of clever marketing as well.

Also interesting bit of background world building.

Eeeee! This does look ace -- We're likely never going to get anything to beat Spectacular Spider-Man, but this certainly looks like a worthy contender! Certainly better than that dismal Ultimate Spider-Man show... Looks like it was animated by the fine folks behind Avatar/Korra -- I'll take it! :)

Post subject: Re: Sony Marvel Universe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://www.cbr.com/sony-nightwatch-movi ... spike-lee/

Sony are just trolling Marvel now surely? Hopefully somebody will show them a picture of Spawn before they put too much work into this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm 

http://www.cbr.com/sony-nightwatch-movie-spider-man-spinoff-spike-lee/
Sony are just trolling Marvel now surely? Hopefully somebody will show them a picture of Spawn before they put too much work into this.

I once posted about Nightwatch on a thread in the Comics section of the old SFX forum, and it soon transpired that absolutely nobody else remembered him. It's telling that the Nightwatch mini-series is one of the few things that Marvel have published that hasn't been subsequently collected in a trade paperback.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I don't think I would have remembered him if he hadn't appeared in She Hulk a couple of years ago. The 1990s was a decade best forgotten.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next