It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suicide Squad Movie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:56 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
Overall, that is bad, even if the film is good. DC are three movies in and with 2 of them splitting the audience, having the third go the same way is not good. It mightn't split the audience who could ignore the critics, but only the weekend will tell.

To be fair, that was pretty much the situation with Marvel too. Neither the Hulk or Iron Man 2 was critically acclaimed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I take an average of UK film magazines and broadsheets and it's looking like a slightly disappointing 3* film. If I had to take the view of only one reviewer it would be Robbie Collin and he hates it. I'm hoping for a Kermodian rant from him on Friday!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... hed-916693

Interesting article. Seems it might be a bit of a horse designed by committee.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

darkman wrote:
Basileus wrote:
Overall, that is bad, even if the film is good. DC are three movies in and with 2 of them splitting the audience, having the third go the same way is not good. It mightn't split the audience who could ignore the critics, but only the weekend will tell.

To be fair, that was pretty much the situation with Marvel too. Neither the Hulk or Iron Man 2 was critically acclaimed.

Ironman was though, and did far better than expected. We were also in a position that Marvel were trying something new, and their was the will to see it through to The Avengers. Their was a certain benefit of a doubt and knowledge that they were learning to make these films. There was also not quite the high expectations of the expected box office, and how the cross pollination would affect box office. No one expected the multiplier on Avengers being a billion dollar film, considering the return on the others.

This time round, the potential returns are known and expectations are sky high. If Marvel can do it, why not DC. And anyone looking at the Warner's/DC approach can see that they are trying to retrofit what Marvel have done, to jumpstart their universe to catch up with Marvel in a few strides - as Marvel has shown the way.

Also the general expectations of comic book films have been heightened, after a steady increase of the quality of these films. Amazing Spiderman 2 have shown that 700 million dollars plus don't help if audience reaction is bad to ancient and uninspiring story telling, Fantastic Four has shown that incoherent and muddled storytelling will be badly judged with the competition. The world has changed since 2008-10. It's a different era.

The danger is if DC gets a reputation for OK but muddled films, looking for an identity, how long will they get the goodwill of the general public. Up to now that goodwill is coming from the fact that it is DC and it is some of the top superheroes in their books. And that goodwill has gone a long way. But it would be good not to be continually giving them the benefit of the doubt, acknowledging the bad points but focussing on a few good points, then hoping the next picture will really nail it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:35 pm 

Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk in no way got the critical mauling that BvS and Suicide Squad have gotten either, at least if you go by their Rotten Tomato scores. The Incredible Hulk is on 67% and Iron Man 2 is certified fresh on 72%, which isn't too shabby. The lowest rated MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment is Thor: The Dark World on 66%, a rating I can imagine DC would kill for right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:20 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

fainiel wrote:
Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk in no way got the critical mauling that BvS and Suicide Squad have gotten either, at least if you go by their Rotten Tomato scores. The Incredible Hulk is on 67% and Iron Man 2 is certified fresh on 72%, which isn't too shabby. The lowest rated MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment is Thor: The Dark World on 66%, a rating I can imagine DC would kill for right now.

Yeah I remember SFX gave Iron Man 2 5*s and I think declared it better than the original. 5-10 years ago there were fewer superhero films so I think they had a lot more goodwill. X-Men Last Stand had 55% and Spiderman 3 had 63%.

PEOPLE: You're funny.
ME: Get stuffed!
PEOPLE: Haha! Such a joker! *ruffles hair*
-Dramatised recreation of normal conversation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:59 pm 

hammard wrote:
Yeah I remember SFX gave Iron Man 2 5*s and I think declared it better than the original. 5-10 years ago there were fewer superhero films so I think they had a lot more goodwill. X-Men Last Stand had 55% and Spiderman 3 had 63%.

If memory serves I think it was only 3 stars.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:06 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Wee Little Puppet Man wrote:
hammard wrote:

If memory serves I think it was only 3 stars.

Weirdly I think that was what they gave the first Iron Man film. Maybe I'll back through my old issues at some point and see if I can find it

EDIT: Bah you were correct 3.5 stars I may have been thinking of the DVD review...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

4* from The Times and a genuinely positive review. You can take a sneaky peek beyond the paywall if you register (max 2 articles a week).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:46 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Just got back from seeing it. I can see why it is dividing opinion as it is almost two different movies in one. One is pretty standard if entertaining film about a bunch of anti-heroes fighting a Lovecraftian monster. The other is a character study of the nature of heroes and villains which will either be interesting or confusing depending on your reading.

The best way is to look at each character in turn:

Deadshot: Will Smith is largely playing his standard role but it works for him really well. He manages to balance selfish hitman, depressed father and charismatic lead. If you like Smith's schtick you'll like him, if not then it'll probably not work for you.

Joker: Leto's performance isn't bad when he is given stuff to do (the Harley origin story he is really creepy in particular) but outside of this he is kind of a standard gangster. You could easily have put Penguin from Gotham in the same scenes. He isn't even that horrible to Harley (apart from in one scene which is icky). I think the blame more sits with the script than anything else.

Harley Quinn: A lot of fun and steals the show in a lot of scenes. Both psychotic and tragic, fun and innocent all at once. The only issue is that her accent seems to slip between standard American, Brooklyn and Australian. They must have decided to give up on the proper voice at one point (we also do get to see her in the original outfit for some of the film as well which looks so much better).

Rick Flag: A bit of a non-entity. He kind of is designed to be in the relationship with Enchantress and to be the straight guy telling them all off. An important role but not really much to say.

Amanda Waller: The best thing about the film, Viola Davis is amazing. Much of her scenes are just her sitting in rooms talking to people but you never doubt she is in command and would willingly kill everyone in the room if she thought it was the right thing to do. She really helps with the theme of the film because, even though she is the one who describes the squad as the worst of the worst, the line between her and the rest of the squad is so thin.

Captain Boomerang: Does really get much background but is pretty fun. Generally there to be an asshole. I was a little disappointed when
Spoiler:
they included his most famous scene, tricking Slipknot into killing himself in order to test the bombs. But they don't make it clear that is what he is doing so he looks like an idiot rather than a crafty bastard

El Diablo: A surprise as I knew nothing about the character but he is really interesting and important to the whole storyline overall.

Killer Croc: "He's a crocodile and he eats people." Pretty much sums him up but is good to watch.

Enchantress:
Spoiler:
*sigh* Okay so she is the villain of the piece but she is a really poor choice. She is essentially a generally evil all powerful creature doing evil things because evil. No real nuance or intrigue just evil. They really should have had doing some dodgy government operation as there was no reason you couldn't see them calling in the Justice League to sort this out once they are formed.

Katana: Joins halfway through is mostly there to be badass. She is good to watch but is more of a background presence.

Slipknot:
Spoiler:
He's just there to get his head blown off. We don't even get the origin scene at all

Batman: Surprisingly a highlight of the film.
Spoiler:
We only get a few short scenes but him taking out Deadshot and Harley and talking to Waller were proper great superhero moments which wouldn't have gone amiss in an actual Batman film.
I was worried he would feel tacked on but it feels really natural.

The Flash:
Spoiler:
Blink and you'll miss it but good stuff. He is really playing it a lot like Grant Gustin.

On other issues, the direction is (surprisingly given Ayers filmography) much better when characters are just sitting around being tense with each other than actually fighting. The choreography is alright but nothing special.

There is a little mysogyny in the film, not in terms of the actual plot really but in the obsession the film seems to have with women's arses! There were I think 5 scenes\mentions of slapping women's behinds and many gratuitous butt shots. Really should have been edited out. And yes the costumes were all ridiculous for the women. Katana should not have been barechested, Harley should have spent the whole film in the original costume and I still have no idea why Enchantress was in a bikini. However, it didn't bother me as much as in other films (*cough*Ant-Man*cough*) because there were so many great female characters I would just eyeroll at the fact the director was a bit of a pervy. :roll: :roll:

For me it was a solid 7/10. Probably the best of the superhero films this year but not without problems.

Last edited by hammard on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:08 pm 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I've seen ant man four times, I don't remember anyone but him taking his shirt off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Just got back myself.

Like BvS, its a curates egg, and it is totally understandable why critics don't like it, there are issues. Storyline is basic, to non existent, and the bit joining the introduction to the end of the film seems to be missing. I am watching it, and I am wondering how many minutes did they just cut out.

This would have benefitted from an establishing film beforehand. That's why the Avengers worked so well. The villain here, just is. Given some backstory, you want/need more. A film that could delve into that, so that it could just be, as done here, would have helped. Instead it's all part of the jumble of origin stories.

It starts great. Various characters are introduced, and you can tell you the stars/ important ones are - e.g. Deadshot and Harley getting a prison scene, then a 4,5ish minute of flashback with dialogue, while others get a less than a minute with voiceover.

The start of the film makes you think you are in for a real feat of punk film making. And maybe what the critics didn't get. It's not.

The first part of the film is the creation of the Suicide Squad. And we sort of get introduced to some of them 3 times. Some twice. And the token redshirt once.

Then an incident occurs, they are sent on a mission, and you realise that this is it. It's the big conclusion of the film, the big battle. Actually it does fall into 2 acts, getting to the final confrontation, and the final confrontation. And it does lose that punk vive the longer it goes on, becoming very usual, and conforming to type.

And that's it.

AsI said the bit leading up to the incident is weirdly edited. You know what has happened, but things are being kept from you. The thing is you know exactly what happened. Then later you get a quick flashback telling you what happened. As if this is a big revelation. However it's not.

Will Smith is Will Smith.
Harley Quinn is mostly Harley Quinn. Sometimes she really is, and at others, not.
El Diabolo is the best thing in it, and they should have given him more.

Overall I enjoyed it. It looks great. For a hit of some characters its good. For something more, less so. And it falls into the Ironman 2 trap of building up the bigger world.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:54 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

glunark wrote:
I've seen ant man four times, I don't remember anyone but him taking his shirt off.

Not the perving. The inherent misogyny of the storyline in Antman bothers me. It's about a woman dying with no lines in order to motivate a man to sideline his daughter and get a total stranger to become a superhero instead. But this is probably not a discussion for this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

And something else.

Is this the third film in the DCEU, or will it eventually become the fourth?

The reason I am asking this is what was in the shop window. Considering the events of Rebirth, an argument could a) be made no matter what, but b) they could connect that film in.

Be also interesting to know if that light hearted scene was one of the reshoot scenes, or an original. If it is a reshoot one, then it becomes very interesting to speculate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Basileus wrote:
And something else.

Is this the third film in the DCEU, or will it eventually become the fourth?

The reason I am asking this is what was in the shop window. Considering the events of Rebirth, an argument could a) be made no matter what, but b) they could connect that film in.

Be also interesting to know if that light hearted scene was one of the reshoot scenes, or an original. If it is a reshoot one, then it becomes very interesting to speculate.

I had exactly the same thought. It would be a bit odd if those events had not been mentioned but then again it might explain better why there is so little trust for superheroes in this world.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 am 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

I was thinking more different dimension bleeding through, due to you know who, so a parallel universe. Or even an overwritten universe, with YKW or YKW2 making everyone forget, but things still bleed through.

But a previous unmentioned history is also possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 am 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Someone has attempted to compile a list of deleted scenes from the original cut here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/suic ... -the-movie

A lot of people seem to be saying showing the movie was butchered but I think it shows WB made the right call.
Spoiler:
Slipknot as a rapist, Boomerang as a Sexist and Racist, The Joker trying to kill Harley.

It would have been a very unpleasant experience for me to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

hammard wrote:
Someone has attempted to compile a list of deleted scenes from the original cut here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/suic ... -the-movie

A lot of people seem to be saying showing the movie was butchered but I think it shows WB made the right call.
Spoiler:
Slipknot as a rapist, Boomerang as a Sexist and Racist, The Joker trying to kill Harley.

It would have been a very unpleasant experience for me to watch.

They're bad guys. It's what they do. It sounds like they have a made film where there isn't much difference between the good guys and the bad guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:32 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Yup, and that is noticeable.

Deadshot is the loving father who you see only killing a mafia type, who states he doesn't kill women and children. Harley is shown as mad and crazy, but not actually doing anything level, but she does love her puddin' and is shown as more of a love struck victim who made the wrong choice.
El Diabolo gave himself up voluntarily to the police out of regret for what he did.
Captain Boomerang is a thief, the cowardly comic relief with a children's toy fetish. He is probably a Bronie.
Enchantress inhabits the body of a no personality archaeologist.
Killer Croc is a "monster" who lives in a sewer because err, he was seen as a monster, treated as such, and became one.
Slipknot is a photograph and a blink and you miss him.

I had hoped we would see real villains, no redemption possible, doing the mission because they have no choice.
However once past the punky introduction, its a series of redemption stories showing they (mostly) want to be redeemed and do good.

I too would have liked to see the Ayer cut. The more I have heard, I am surprised he didn't walk. Handing over his cut to the trailer editors to make it lighter and more like a music video is frankly pretty insulting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm 

I'll raise the folks saying this is two films in one and say it's three. It's a shame because, I'd have likely enjoyed any one of those three on their own but putting them in a blender and throwing the goop up against the wall to see what it looked like really made this so disjointed you could see the lines and it took me out of the film. And for that reason, I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Saw it on Friday. Enjoyed it.

Sure it has it's faults but its way more enjoyable than BvS. At least this one had a sense of humour. Seeing as the events happen after BvS it's a shame DC/WB have revealed Superman isn't dead (like we all thought he was anyway) given the Superman shirt displayed near the start...

Overall 7/10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Pete wrote:

Sure it has it's faults but its way more enjoyable than BvS. At least this one had a sense of humour. Seeing as the events happen after BvS it's a shame DC/WB have revealed Superman isn't dead (like we all thought he was anyway) given the Superman shirt displayed near the start...

Overall 7/10

I know they were black but I took them as more of a funeral tribute rather than than them being a nod to the black kryptonian suit ....didn't waller say she wanted the squad to fill the hero vacuum ... or did i imagine that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:

Overall 7/10

I know they were black but I took them as more of a funeral tribute rather than than them being a nod to the black kryptonian suit ....didn't waller say she wanted the squad to fill the hero vacuum ... or did i imagine that

I took them to be a funeral/tributre shirt too. My point being (sorry if not initally clear) is that they (WB/DC) are giving the impression Superman's deader than a parrot.

We all now know that he's in the JL movie given that he's in the promo pics & rumours about the black suit have surfaced.
It may have been better if WB/DC had kept the illusion he was dead so it's a surprise (for a few) when he appears in the JL movie...

Again apologies if my initial point wasn't clear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:

Overall 7/10

I took them to be a funeral/tributre shirt too. My point being (sorry if not initally clear) is that they (WB/DC) are giving the impression Superman's deader than a parrot.

We all now know that he's in the JL movie given that he's in the promo pics & rumours about the black suit have surfaced.
It may have been better if WB/DC had kept the illusion he was dead so it's a surprise (for a few) when he appears in the JL movie...

Ahh yes I did initially misunderstand you but I don't really think anyone actually thought that Supes was dead for a second because of the scene at the end of BvS with the dirt rising off the coffin they pretty much showed you that he was alive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:04 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:

Overall 7/10

Ahh yes I did initially misunderstand you but I don't really think anyone actually thought that Supes was dead for a second because of the scene at the end of BvS with the dirt rising off the coffin they pretty much showed you that he was alive

I guess so, just might have been nice for them to keep the illusion he's a goner for more than 6 months!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:15 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:

Overall 7/10

I guess so, just might have been nice for them to keep the illusion he's a goner for more than 6 months!!!

Your talking about a guy that couldn't pretend he was a goner until the end of the film .. (yes I know it was the end but still)

In all honesty it probably would have played better if they had not shown that scene at the end and let the audience (well the ones not up to speed with the heroes NEVER die approach) think oh my god did they really just kill him off ???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 am 

Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:

Overall 7/10

Your talking about a guy that couldn't pretend he was a goner until the end of the film .. (yes I know it was the end but still)

In all honesty it probably would have played better if they had not shown that scene at the end and let the audience (well the ones not up to speed with the heroes NEVER die approach) think oh my god did they really just kill him off ???

Until he's on every JL poster. Oh, hang on, he's already on pretty much every piece of JL pre-publicity material.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Knappos wrote:

Until he's on every JL poster. Oh, hang on, he's already on pretty much every piece of JL pre-publicity material.

Precisley. So why did they even bother 'killing' him in BvS when WB/DC themselvs let the cat out of the bag 6 months after the film was released??? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Pete wrote:
Knappos wrote:

Precisley. So why did they even bother 'killing' him in BvS when WB/DC themselvs let the cat out of the bag 6 months after the film was released??? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

But they didnt let the Cat out of the Bag 6 months later the last scene of the BvS film clearly shows that he is still alive and in all honestly I cant imagine that anyone over the age of 1 would even be slightly shocked at him coming back

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
Knappos wrote:

But they didnt let the Cat out of the Bag 6 months later the last scene of the BvS film clearly shows that he is still alive and in all honestly I cant imagine that anyone over the age of 1 would even be slightly shocked at him coming back

I guess. Maybe my hatred of BvS has swayed me? As a DC fan it pains me to see them SNAFU all the time whilst Marvel steam ahead....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

Pete wrote:
Mr Cairo wrote:
Pete wrote:
[
I guess. Maybe my hatred of BvS has swayed me? As a DC fan it pains me to see them SNAFU all the time whilst Marvel steam ahead....

Now that I understand I have purchased both Mos and BvS on BluRay even though I know deep down they are massively flawed and I suspect that it going to be not the JLA I expect

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next