It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am 

Yes it's that time of year again when the winter is upon us and the days turn short , In the age of the druids this was the time the Dark Gods came out and fear , suspicion and superstition walked across the land , where you could not trust your neighbor not to stab you in the back....in other words the perfect time for awards season ! :roll:

And we start with Academy news, Last week the Governors awards were handed out (because they moved them) , usually we wouldn't cover this but what the hell , the recipients for this years awards were

Lina Wertmuller
Geena Davis
Wes Studi
and
David Lynch

More chaos caused by this years Oscars being the earliest ever is that the Annual Oscar Nominees Lunch, the big pre Oscar event has had to be moved .

The big news today however is the changing of the rules when it comes to best film in a foreign language. Now the category will be known as Best International film and instead of a committee it will be now voted on by all eligible academy members, ( starting this year which is already causing havoc with it's two week earlier deadline ) which means not only more films to be watched by those academy members but a whole new world of "for your consideration" publicity problems for Films that are nominated.

Meanwhile the kickoff proper to the season will be the Hollywood film awards which will be held Sunday,Although kinda vacuous ( yes I know that's the globes job) they may be a pointer for who may be the big winners later this season. Now winners of this are announced in advance ( the awards themselves are a " come up and collect your prize moment" ) but what is annoying is that they announce winners day by day until Sunday, so instead of printing a constant dribble of names I am going to wait until Monday before we go over the full list of winners.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:24 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Are British films international films? It sounds like the Americans think that they invented English.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 am 

Kang , I think the question should be what does this mean for films not in the English language category, because what the heck does the term best international film mean. Under the new rules this also covers animation and Documentaries, so films that before were in the animation and Documentary sections can also be here.

Anyway the first "big" awards , the Hollywood film awards were held last night. Now as I said last week , this is usually about as reliable as the Globes. Heck the awards are a "come get your award" moment as the winners are announced over the week before...I think in the hope that if someone wins they will turn up, anyway there are some interesting developments here to discuss, first though, here are the winners.

Hollywood Career Achievement Award:
Charlize Theron

Hollywood Actor Award:
Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory

Hollywood Actress Award:
Renée Zellweger, Judy

Hollywood Supporting Actor Award:
Al Pacino, The Irishman

Hollywood Supporting Actress Award:
Laura Dern, Marriabe Story

Hollywood Blockbuster Award:
Avengers: Endgame

Hollywood Song Award:
Pharrell Williams, "Letter to My Godfather," from The Black Godfather

Hollywood Filmmaker Award:
Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

Hollywood Producer Award:
Emma Tillinger Koskoff, The Irishman

Hollywood Director Award:
James Mangold, Ford v Ferrari

Hollywood Screenwriter Award:
Anthony McCarten, The Two Popes

Breakthrough Screenwriter:
Shia LaBeouf, Honey Boy

Breakout Actor:
Taron Egerton, Rocketman

Breakout Actress:
Cynthia Erivo, Harriet

Breakthrough Director:
Olivia Wilde, Booksmart

Animation
Toy Story 4

Cinematography:
Mihai Malaimare Jr, Jojo Rabbit

Film Composer:
Randy Newman, Marriage Story

Editor:
Michael McCusker & Andrew Buckland, Ford v Ferrari

Visual Effects:
Pablo Helman, The Irishman

Sound:
Donald Sylvester, Paul Massey, David Giammarco & Steven A. Morrow, Ford v Ferrari

Costume Design:
Anna Mary Scott Robbins, Downton Abbey

Make-Up & Hair Styling:
Lizzie Yianni-Georgiou, Tapio Salmi & Barrie Gower, Rocketman

Production Design:
Ra Vincent, Jojo Rabbit

Hmmm now usually you do kinda ignore the Hollywood film awards but in among the noise we might be seeing the first signs of the early frontrunners (remember it's early November) although the field has not fully formed yet. But it's more interesting now than it was last year.
Antonio Banderas took his award for Pain and Glory now everyone has been praising this performance since Cannes in May the length of time is probably against him as is the fact that is is a foreign Language film, but then again It didn't stop Jean Dujardin when he took home the Oscar for the Artist. But remember last years award winner was Hugh Jackman for the Favourite?!?!??!

The three and a half hour (three and a half hours? what is this Lawrence of Arabia) The Irishman is getting a lot of talk but will the fact it's a netflix film play against it? Because it took the Producer award (this awards version of Best picture) Again though remember last years award went to First Man which quickly disappear

Renee Zwellegger took home the award for Judy but again it's early days and I suspect this could be the performance that will fade away over the weeks. (although last years award went to Glenn Close and she stayed in the running up to the night of the Oscars.

Parasite, I suspect we will be seeing more of this awards season.

Of the rest, Breakout awards rarely get much further and it is the Hollywood awards , still a little too early to start proclaiming certainties except that JoJo Rabbit and Ford V Ferrari featured as winners , Mangold taking Best Director, these are the two films that have been talked about as being Oscar favourites with a potential to dominate Awards season. Remember Green book only took home a Screen play and an ensemble award last year at these awards ...btw note they dropped the ensemble award this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm 
Arcane Member Level 1
Arcane Member Level 1

Gotham Nominations

Awards Season really gets underway with the Gotham Nominations. 2019's are

BEST FEATURE
The Farewell
Hustlers
Marriage Story
Uncut Gems
Waves

BEST DOCUMENTARY
American Factory
Apollo 11
The Edge of Democracy
Midnight Traveler
One Child Nation

BEST ACTOR
Willem Dafoe The Lighthouse (A24)
Adam Driver Marriage Story (Netflix)
Aldis Hodge Clemency (NEON)
André Holland High Flying Bird (Netflix)
Adam Sandler Uncut Gems (A24)

BEST ACTRESS
Awkwafina The Farewell (A24)
Elisabeth Moss Her Smell (Gunpowder & Sky)
Mary Kay Place Diane (IFC Films)
Florence Pugh Midsommar (A24)
Alfre Woodard Clemency (NEON)

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Farewell Lulu Wang (A24)
High Flying Bird Tarell Alvin McCraney (Netflix)
The Last Black Man in San Francisco Jimmie Fails, Joe Talbot, Rob Richert (A24)
Marriage Story Noah Baumbach (Netflix)
Midsommar Ari Aster (A24)

Gotham's suffer from being so early in the season, but with so many Best Picture's being exhibited in Toronto last year's nominations identified "The Favorite" & "Beale Street Could Talk". Unfortunately they gave the award to "The Rider" which was probably the first and last award it picked up

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 am 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

This shows why the Oscars might have been better to change the rules of the International category rather than just the name. Other than the UK (whose films do get shown in the US) it leaves other English speaking countries as neither domestic nor international.

https://www.thewrap.com/ava-duvernay-ca ... ubmission/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 am 

The International film argument continues with the Academy being forced to clarify with a slightly snarky statement “We changed the title of the award, but made it clear the rules remain the same.” This will die down but on the bbc today programme one film maker pointed out that this was an "american view of the world" and asked why Nigeria whose main language is English will be punished while another country who use French will not. why change the title but not the rule.

In other News Roland Emmerich will receive the visionary award at the visual effects awards in January.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:36 pm 

Well the awards continue to be doled out and this weekend it was the people's choice awards and the critics choice documentary awards....now I'm going to ignore peoples choice as that is a popularity contest which I strongly suspect has a lot (and I mean a lot ) of studio Interference Example Film of the Year was Avengers Endgame but film drama of the year was After ( I know pretty unforgettable right? Wait whaddya mean you never heard of it?!!)

Anyway here are the winners of the Critics Choice awards for Documentary

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Apollo 11 (Neon)

BEST DIRECTOR (TIE)
Steven Bognar and Julia Reichert, American Factory (Netflix)
Peter Jackson, They Shall Not Grow Old (Warner Bros.)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
John Chester, The Biggest Little Farm (Neon)

BEST EDITING
Todd Douglas Miller, Apollo 11 (Neon)

BEST SCORE
Matt Morton, Apollo 11 (Neon)

BEST NARRATION
Western Stars (Warner Bros.)
Bruce Springsteen, narrator
Bruce Springsteen, writer

BEST FIRST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Tamara Kotevska and Ljubomir Stefanov, Honeyland (Neon)

BEST ARCHIVAL DOCUMENTARY
Apollo 11 (Neon)

BEST BIOGRAPHICAL DOCUMENTARY
Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (Magnolia)

BEST MUSIC DOCUMENTARY
Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Greenwich)

BEST POLITICAL DOCUMENTARY
American Factory (Netflix)

BEST SCIENCE/NATURE DOCUMENTARY
Apollo 11 (Neon)

BEST SPORTS DOCUMENTARY
Maiden (Sony Pictures Classics)

MOST INNOVATIVE DOCUMENTARY
They Shall Not Grow Old (Warner Bros.)

BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY
Period. End of Sentence. (Netflix)
Director: Rayka Zehtabchi. Producers: Melissa Berton, Garrett K. Schiff and Lisa Taback

MOST COMPELLING LIVING SUBJECTS OF A DOCUMENTARY

Dr. Amani Ballor – The Cave (National Geographic)
David Crosby – David Crosby: Remember My Name (Sony Pictures Classics)
Tracy Edwards – Maiden (Sony Pictures Classics)
Imelda Marcos – The Kingmaker (Showtime)
Hatidze Muratova – Honeyland (Neon)
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush, and Paula Jean Swearengin – Knock Down the House (Netflix)
Linda Ronstadt – Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Greenwich)
Dr. Ruth Westheimer – Ask Dr. Ruth (Hulu)

Apollo 11 looks likely to feature for the awards season in the documentary category...don't think they shall not grow old will qualify ( unsure as it was released in 2017!)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]