Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:08 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
Welcome!

As many of you are aware, the iforumer hosts that I've been using to host Offtopica 2 for some years now has become unstable and prone to crashes, slowness and downtime, while the iforumer support forums have literally been deserted by the staff there, leaving hundreds of people asking for responses to their queries in vain. I felt that I needed to move to a more reliable server as soon as possible, but it's taken me some time to find another host willing to accept the database (and I really didn't want to lose any posts or user-information!). It's a testament to the new hosts that they've been working hard over the past few weeks to sort out all the dross from the ridiculous database back-up I paid $20 to be able to take (apparently it contained loads of useless information and stuff only of any relevance to the heavily modified form of the forum software they use at iforumer), so I'm really very impressed with the level of support here. Hopefully now, the threat of the forum suddenly disappearing without warning is gone. :bigsmile:

As you might have noticed, this is a phpBB3 forum, meaning that it uses the latest, upgraded version of the forum software in use on the old OT2 and the SFX forum, amongst others. Have a good look round and a play with stuff, I think you'll like it.

New features include custom BB codes. Like the bold, underline and italic tags:
Code:
[b],[u],[i]

now there are as many as can be thought of, to do a variety of different things. So, for example, if you want to put a YouTube video directly in your post, just copy the address of the clip from your browser address bar and paste it between the YouTube tags. You can also add spoiler text to posts, link words or phrases to their pages in IMDb or on google, align text right or center it...the list goes on, and I'll be on the lookout for new and interesting tags. Or, if you have any suggestions, let me know.

There's a lot more to do with your profiles, so I'd suggest having a good look at that as soon as possible.

The only problems with moving seem to be graphical in nature. The ranks system has, for the time being, gone, as have the custom smilies (though there's a few different ones here), and I'm afraid most of you will have to redo your avatars, for some reason.

Posts made on the old site after the database backup was taken on the 24th of August won't appear here, but I'm leaving the old site up and running for a few months so you'll still be able to view them, along with your PMs. You'll still be able to log in, but all the forums are locked so you won't be able to post. I'd suggest not using the PM system there, as the site will be shut down in a few months.

Hopefully, new and slightly better themes will be appearing soon. I like the style of the place, but I only had six themes to choose from and I've seen nicer, unofficial themes, that hopefully will get the phpBB seal of approval, which means that the forum host will be willing to install them. If anyone has any real problems using the site, please let me know.

That's it for now, like I said, have a good look round and enjoy! Any questions, you know where I am.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Round of applause for Tao!! :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Claps!!!

Last edited by dangermouse3597 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 pm 

Oooh, it's all shiny...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:53 pm 

Wow... It's all black and shiny... Like a new uncreased leather jacket or some shiny shoes....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:54 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Oooh, it's all slinky and new! :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:00 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

Ooh this is weird! Gonna take some getting used to. It's brighter than the other place, isn't it! *blinks*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:07 pm 
Flaming Member Level 2
Flaming Member Level 2

I like it well done Tao!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:24 am 
Flaming Member Level 1
Flaming Member Level 1

I don't like it /Andy

Only kidding. It's so awesome!!! BLACK! BLACK!

Well done Tao and well done the chappy who helped him sort it out on the new host.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 am 

Location: Somewhere in the Twighlight zone, no, not the sparkly vampire one o_O
Thanks Tao for all your hard work on this :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

To be honest, I was getting so stressed every time the other site went down, thinking "oh crap, this is it, goodbye iforumer and Offtopica 2" that, though I still have a lot of tidying and sorting out to do I'm a lot less worried about the place. Which is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 pm 

I like it, its very shiny, wish the rank system could come back, it was fun. Only other thing is that the normal font size is a bit tiddly for short sighted gits like me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:44 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Can't make any promises about the ranks system, but I will be asking about it in the support forums soon. The ranks are all still there, so if I can get the images uploaded to the server, or get the software modified to accept off-site rank images, then it should all be back.

As for the font size, I'll look into it. I may or may not be able to change it, but if I do things wrong then it could muck up the entire site, so don't hold your breath!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm 

OOOhhh :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:43 pm 
Demi-goddess

Shiny!

Fantastic work Tao, you're some kind of genius. I've had a look through the control panels and it looks ace! Sooooo much functionality.

I hate to be the miserable one, but white text on black makes my eyes go funny very quickly, and leaves me with those weird vision trails you get from looking directly at bright lights, so whenever alternative themes are available, I'd appreciate a heads up :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 pm 

We fear change... :frown:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:41 pm 
Atomic Member
Atomic Member

Oooooooooooh shiny new forum, and had to delete every single one of my cookies to get here. Worth it :bigsmile:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:48 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Mosquito wrote:
Oooooooooooh shiny new forum, and had to delete every single one of my cookies to get here. Worth it :bigsmile:

It worked? Blimey, I know what I'm talking about! :gasp:

jj wrote:
but white text on black makes my eyes go funny very quickly,

I'll look into changing the colour of the text too (still not figured out the size thing but I'm trying). What colour would you suggest, bearing in mind the background definitely can't be changed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm 
Demi-goddess

erm anything that's not pure white would be brilliant, maybe a dull beige or pale lemon or something? You needn't go to too much trouble though honey, i can cope with it for short periods of time :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:33 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

I'm thinking Goldenrod. Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.Testing, testing, one two three. Testing, testing, one two three.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:35 pm 
Demi-goddess

Oh that's lovely actually Tao. very mellow and not eye-freak-outing at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:50 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Can't make any promises, but I'll do my best. I'll set up a whole new forum for testing tomorrow 'cos I don't want to risk messing this one up! Should theoretically be possible to turn all the white text to any other colour though. It's all really rather complicated, but I'm starting to get my head around it a bit!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm 
Senior Member Level 1
Senior Member Level 1

Aah, I'm not going mad. :smallsmile:

I like the goldenrod, especially on the black.

Hell's Cheerleader

When they were handing out motivation I was in bed not bothering to get up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Sorry, think I've gone for silver, which isn't as glaring as white but isn't going to change the entire character of the site (I can't just change the posting colour, lots of other things change too). I've also increased the size of the text, again, as much as I can without screwing up the site!

If I didn't know my IQ I'd be hailing myself as a genius right now. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
Senior Member Level 1
Senior Member Level 1

Silver nice too. :bigsmile:

And Tao no matter what an IQ Test says, you are the King of Geniuses to us. :longwink:

Hell's Cheerleader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm 

OOOh nice size font Tao sir. I like the gold too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 pm 
Demi-goddess

Silver works for me, and the font size is great. You rule sir. Rule I say!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 pm 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Yep, silver seems good. The Goldenrod (who makes these colours up?) was just too intrusive on the style, considering the colours of both the posted messages, user-profiles, forum descriptions and a few other things are all dictated by the same setting.

As for the font size, again, it's effected everything, and has mucked up the character spacing a little, but not much and I'd rather everyone could see what's written properly. :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 am 

Oooh...Its like the Mirror Universe OT2...

Should we all start growing goatees now?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:12 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

Start?

Been messing about with the icons, so it should be easier to see when there's been new posts (didn't like the icons included with the theme, so I've modified some I found on the internet from another theme. Unfortunately I can only upload ten custom images, including the main logo, so there's no separate "Sticky - New posts" icon, you'll just have to make do with sharing the normal "New posts" icon. Sorry).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:53 am 
Senior Member Level 1
Senior Member Level 1

Tis all good m'lud. :longwink:

Hell's Cheerleader

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next