It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 11:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:04 am 
Forum God!
Forum God!

PSN ID: TaoJude
Nintendo Network ID: TaoJude
It's now possible, with the opening up of Offtopica 2 to a wider community, that some members may take offence to ideas and opinions posted by other members.

I'd like to foster an environment of free speech here; I don't want people to double guess what they're saying or feel that they can't speak their mind. I don't think it serves any purpose to constantly police what people are saying. Obviously, blatant racism/sexism etc. won't be tolerated, but opinions on a wide range of subjects can, while not reaching extremes, become fractious.

Happily, there is already a system in place for members to report posts for any reason, be it offensive language, harassment, bullying, or whatever. As I can't possibly read everything posted here now, I'm going to leave it up to the members to let me know about these instances.

In every post there is a ! icon (I use the default TwilightBB style, so it's in the right bottom corner, but other styles may vary). Click on this and you can report the post to me. Though I will know who has authored the report, I will never reveal who has reported who, it will remain entirely confidential.

I'll receive a notification containing the text of the post in question, the post's author, and any message you want to include in your report (please be as detailed as possible, just saying "look at this, it's terrible!" or some-such won't be helpful).

I'll be using my own judgement as to where to go from there. I like to think I'm a fair, decent person, so hopefully I'll get it right, which is the best I can promise, really. Any action I do decide to take will be done in private; I don't believe it benefits anyone to air dirty laundry in public.

There is a system to issue private warnings to members, and I'll be using that. Depending on the severity of the problem, users may just be given a warning, or they may incur a 90 day ban from posting, or, in extreme cases, even be expelled from the forum and not allowed to re-join. In any case, three warnings within the warning expiration period will result in a 90 day ban. Warnings will expire after six months.

Members could be forgiven for thinking that I may be biased towards friends who have been active here for a long time. That couldn't be further from the truth. I take great pride in being entirely fair and impartial in these matters. Every forum member will be treated equally whether I've known them for years or they've just joined. It's the only way to run a forum fairly and effectively and I feel very strongly on this point. I can't emphasise that enough.

Obviously, everyone's going to get on and none of this will matter, but just in case, rest assured everything is in hand.

Edited to add:
The internet is full of sites where people are shouting their opinions at other people in an I'm right-you're-wrong posture, and devolving into personal iinsult and abuse. This site is not one of those. You might not agree with an opinion, but here you should respect people's right to have that opinion, and, if you feel the need to disagree, do so respectfully. Your opinion (or mine, or anyone else's) is not the "right" opinion, it's just your opinion.

I'm gonna wave my freak flag high. HIGH!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]